NLE Replacement Course

  • scoutinglady
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2009
      Hi All,

      I was wondering if anyone had yet heard when the
      new "Intro" course that will replace NLE will be launched online.
      I have heard anything from last fall to January 1st 2009.

      I always find I have folks who don't have internet, or are on
      dial-up or hate computers any want it face to face. I would like to
      have something worked up as a plan B for these folks ASAP.

      Any idea of when this will be available would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks Loads,
      YIS
      Scoutinglady
    • Scott Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2009
        From Joe Glasscock, Program Volunteer Development, in Nov 2008:

        Soon, New Leader Essentials will be replace by a new Web-based
        training course titled "What Is Scouting?" Like New Leader Essentials, the course will be required for all leaders
        to be considered fully trained. It will be availabe on the Online Learner Center at www.scouting.org and should be available around Nov. 1. It will also be on DVD and will be available through the National Distribution Center.

        "What Is Scouting?" is a seven-module course that will take about an hour to complete.
        The seven modules are:
        - Mission, Vision, Values
        - Programs for all ages and abilities
        - Scouting is fun!
        - Scouting in the community
        - Protecting Our youth
        - Scouting legacy
        - On being a leader
        At the end of each module is an interactive exercise that
        participants must complete and answer correctly before they can move on to the next module.

        And from a more recent email from him to me from an inquiry I made about the course:

        Hi Scott,

        Good to hear from you and you asked some good questions. "This is
        Scouting" will be on the Online Learning Center by around 2-1-09, and will replace New Leader Essentials. It has taken longer to produce than we anticipated. It is a self study but we are making it available on a dvd to be available when needed and it could be a group session if desired.
        It has not yet been assigned a #.

        I am sending you another email with a Training Update, which I try to make available to Council Training Chairs.

        Tks,

        Joe

        Hope that helps!

        Scott Smith