Re: [Scouter_T] RE: [Boy-Scout-Talk] TDC / Trainer's EDGE in Texas?

  • Teresa Hall
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
      I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
      Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
      and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
      EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
      comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.

      Teresa Hall

    • Teresa Hall
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
        Well you know, that's why it's sometimes a good thing to go out on a limb
        and give your opinion - to learn! Thanks, Sean.

        Teresa

        On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

        > Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been
        > permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in
        > Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My
        > feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see,
        > I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time
        > I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional
        > supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with
        > NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though
        > they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under
        > the sun.
        >
        > Tongue firmly planted in cheek.
        >
        > Sean Waiss
        > This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

      • Bill Kuhfuss
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
          The teaching EDGE is presented in Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training as a way Scouts can learn skills.
          Bill Kuhfuss, Cradle of Liberty

          ----------
          I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
          Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
          and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
          EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
          comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.
          Teresa Hall

        • scoutinglady
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
            Hi All,
            Just had to chime in on this one...
            I train at all levels...Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing and have
            staffed numerous Woogbadge courses...and have the most recent syllabus
            books as of late October. I have not found any of the The Training
            EDGE information included in any of the Basic Leader Specific
            trainings (I amy have missed or forgotten something, I've slept since
            the last time I trained). There is one reference to the Leading EDGE
            in the SmLST.
            Since I am not on Woodbadge staff this year...staffing Powderhorn
            instead...I won't be exposed to the Training EDGE yet as a course but
            I have staffed (4 or 5) and directed a TDC and I think perhaps there
            is a place for an "Intro to Training" (TDC) to whet an appetite and
            get a new trainer off to a good start. This would also be for those
            folks who might not be planning to be a District trainer but to train
            per say in their units. Then to be followed by a more advanced
            training The Training EDGE to expand information and knowledge and for
            those who will continue as a District or Council trainer as well as
            Woodbadge & NYLT staffers.

            Anyway, I look forward to being exposed to this training eventually.

            YIS,
            Scoutinglady
            OT District Training Chair, ETAC
            ADC Venturing OT District
            Advisor Crew 42 Tyler TX
            CC Troop 180 Winnsboro
            I used to be a Beaver (SR-281) &
            A good old Staffer, Too
            (SR-447, SR-554, SR-688, SR-751 & SR-897)

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Hall" <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

            > I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my
            focus is
            > Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture
            Advisors
            > and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them.
            So if the
            > EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne
            Rosannadanna
            > comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub
            literature.

            > Teresa Hall

          • Bill Kuhfuss
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
              In SM/SA-LST. Leading EDGE. Session 1: Working With Boy Leaders / The
              Patrol Method | Matching Leadership Styles ? (pp 58-59). Teaching EDGE.
              Session 2: Preopening Activity and reinforced in Session 2: Advancement.
              The current training manual is, thankfully, modern.

            • Peter Mullaney
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                > Sean Waiss
                > ->This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA
                > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry <-
                >

                > Huh? I assume this means that you were selected as a second assistant SM
                > for a National Jamboree Troop? Congratulations! We finished our interviews
                > on Dec 23rd and hope to have our recommendations approved and announced
                > later this month.
                >

                > Pete M.

              • Fred Goodwin
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                  --- In Boy-Scout-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Walker" <Ken.Walker@...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone have dates for other "nearby" councils TDC/Trainer's EDGE
                  > courses in the Jan-March timeframe?

                  Trainer Development Conference, Alamo Area Council (San Antonio, TX)

                  Saturday, 17 Jan. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Alamo Heights United Methodist Church (West Wing 2nd floor) 825 E. Basse Rd. Cost: $2. Contact Dennis Hayes at 210.545.5622 or email: dhayes17@..., or Dwayne Cloar, at 210.341.8611, ext. 142 or dcloar@...

                  --
                  National Episcopal Scouters Association:
                  http://www.nationalepiscopalscouting.com/
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 9, 2009
                    Pete-

                    Yes, that is what it means. I've been asking about our council plans for the last 9 months, got the applications for my son and myself submitted in September, and was contacted in December with the leaders' interview schedule. The interviews were this past Wednesday and I was the final interviewee (that happens when your last name is near the end of the alphabet).

                    I do not know what the breakdown for leader applications might have been, but I applied only for the 2nd Assistant position due to my lack of Wood badge. I was home for less than an hour before I received a call and offer to fill that role. Our Council NJ2010 Informational Meeting is in 3 weeks, so I'm already trying to promote Scout, family, and Scouter attendance at that, starting with Roundtable last night.

                    See you at the Hill!!

                    Sean Waiss

                    From: "Peter Mullaney" <mullaney@...>

                    Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 19:34:04