RE: [Scouter_T] RE: [Boy-Scout-Talk] TDC / Trainer's EDGE in Texas?

  • Wanda Grimes
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
      I may be missing something here as I don't think I've read all the emails,
      so forgive me if I'm misspeaking.

      But I've been on Wood Badge Staff, I'm a TDC instructor, and my son was SPL
      of NYLT this year in our council. I know of the Trainer's EDGE and I assume
      since I've helped prepare staff for WB with the TDC in recent years, I may
      end up teaching that course too at some point.

      At any rate, why would you not want an interested leader to have this
      training even if it turns out that that person doesn't staff a Wood Badge or
      NYLT course? The ideas would be helpful to anyone who's a trainer, I would
      think. Again, I haven't seen the syllabus, so I don't know how specific it
      is to those courses. But my experience has been that the more training
      everyone gets, the better.

      If you have a tight classroom and can't offer it to all the folks who want
      it, hooray! You have more participation than I usually see. In that case,
      yes, I would restrict it to only the people who will certainly be invited to
      be on one of those staffs. Otherwise, is it a problem, though?

      Again, if this is not the issue, please forgive me and delete.

      Wanda

    • Teresa Hall
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
        Okay, I'm leading Trainer's EDGE Saturday and Sunday (yes split over two
        days to work with a WB staff development.)

        Here are my thoughts, from deep in the throes of course preparation.
        Trainer's EDGE presupposes an introduction to and somewhat of an
        understanding of the EDGE model, and moves on from there. That's something
        that's gotten from either Wood Badge for the 21st Century or NYLT; to my
        knowledge it is not taught in any other BSA materials. Yes, the earlier
        years of WB for 21st Century/ NYLT did not use the EDGE acronym, but used
        the same concepts.

        Some may argue that a leader with no exposure could pick up enough to make a
        difference by attending the course, but I honestly think the time spent on
        the model is only enough to reinforce, not teach anew.

        In my opinion, and mine alone, I would be happy to welcome anyone who has
        taken WB for the 21st Century OR NYLT into a Trainer's EDGE course. Other
        folks I would only take if they were staffing one of the above courses,
        where they should have gained some understanding of the model through
        reading the syllabus and staff development. Another way to put it, I would
        limit enrollment to anyone who was a current *or potential *staffer of the
        above two course.

        Let the debate continue.

        Teresa Hall
        Trainer's EDGE course director Jan 10-11, 2009
        SR-889 Scoutmaster
        Greater AL Council

      • SeanWaiss@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
          Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see, I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under the sun.

          Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

          Sean Waiss
          This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
            I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
            Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
            and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
            EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
            comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.

            Teresa Hall

          • Teresa Hall
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
              Well you know, that's why it's sometimes a good thing to go out on a limb
              and give your opinion - to learn! Thanks, Sean.

              Teresa

              On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

              > Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been
              > permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in
              > Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My
              > feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see,
              > I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time
              > I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional
              > supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with
              > NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though
              > they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under
              > the sun.
              >
              > Tongue firmly planted in cheek.
              >
              > Sean Waiss
              > This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

            • Bill Kuhfuss
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                The teaching EDGE is presented in Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training as a way Scouts can learn skills.
                Bill Kuhfuss, Cradle of Liberty

                ----------
                I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
                Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
                and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
                EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
                comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.
                Teresa Hall

              • scoutinglady
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                  Hi All,
                  Just had to chime in on this one...
                  I train at all levels...Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing and have
                  staffed numerous Woogbadge courses...and have the most recent syllabus
                  books as of late October. I have not found any of the The Training
                  EDGE information included in any of the Basic Leader Specific
                  trainings (I amy have missed or forgotten something, I've slept since
                  the last time I trained). There is one reference to the Leading EDGE
                  in the SmLST.
                  Since I am not on Woodbadge staff this year...staffing Powderhorn
                  instead...I won't be exposed to the Training EDGE yet as a course but
                  I have staffed (4 or 5) and directed a TDC and I think perhaps there
                  is a place for an "Intro to Training" (TDC) to whet an appetite and
                  get a new trainer off to a good start. This would also be for those
                  folks who might not be planning to be a District trainer but to train
                  per say in their units. Then to be followed by a more advanced
                  training The Training EDGE to expand information and knowledge and for
                  those who will continue as a District or Council trainer as well as
                  Woodbadge & NYLT staffers.

                  Anyway, I look forward to being exposed to this training eventually.

                  YIS,
                  Scoutinglady
                  OT District Training Chair, ETAC
                  ADC Venturing OT District
                  Advisor Crew 42 Tyler TX
                  CC Troop 180 Winnsboro
                  I used to be a Beaver (SR-281) &
                  A good old Staffer, Too
                  (SR-447, SR-554, SR-688, SR-751 & SR-897)

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Hall" <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

                  > I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my
                  focus is
                  > Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture
                  Advisors
                  > and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them.
                  So if the
                  > EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne
                  Rosannadanna
                  > comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub
                  literature.

                  > Teresa Hall

                • Bill Kuhfuss
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                    In SM/SA-LST. Leading EDGE. Session 1: Working With Boy Leaders / The
                    Patrol Method | Matching Leadership Styles ? (pp 58-59). Teaching EDGE.
                    Session 2: Preopening Activity and reinforced in Session 2: Advancement.
                    The current training manual is, thankfully, modern.

                  • Peter Mullaney
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                      On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                      > Sean Waiss
                      > ->This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA
                      > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry <-
                      >

                      > Huh? I assume this means that you were selected as a second assistant SM
                      > for a National Jamboree Troop? Congratulations! We finished our interviews
                      > on Dec 23rd and hope to have our recommendations approved and announced
                      > later this month.
                      >

                      > Pete M.

                    • Fred Goodwin
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                        --- In Boy-Scout-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Walker" <Ken.Walker@...> wrote:

                        > Does anyone have dates for other "nearby" councils TDC/Trainer's EDGE
                        > courses in the Jan-March timeframe?

                        Trainer Development Conference, Alamo Area Council (San Antonio, TX)

                        Saturday, 17 Jan. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Alamo Heights United Methodist Church (West Wing 2nd floor) 825 E. Basse Rd. Cost: $2. Contact Dennis Hayes at 210.545.5622 or email: dhayes17@..., or Dwayne Cloar, at 210.341.8611, ext. 142 or dcloar@...

                        --
                        National Episcopal Scouters Association:
                        http://www.nationalepiscopalscouting.com/
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 9, 2009
                          Pete-

                          Yes, that is what it means. I've been asking about our council plans for the last 9 months, got the applications for my son and myself submitted in September, and was contacted in December with the leaders' interview schedule. The interviews were this past Wednesday and I was the final interviewee (that happens when your last name is near the end of the alphabet).

                          I do not know what the breakdown for leader applications might have been, but I applied only for the 2nd Assistant position due to my lack of Wood badge. I was home for less than an hour before I received a call and offer to fill that role. Our Council NJ2010 Informational Meeting is in 3 weeks, so I'm already trying to promote Scout, family, and Scouter attendance at that, starting with Roundtable last night.

                          See you at the Hill!!

                          Sean Waiss

                          From: "Peter Mullaney" <mullaney@...>

                          Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 19:34:04