RE: [Scouter_T] RE: TDC / Trainer's EDGE in Texas?

  • Wally Hymel
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
      After reading the purpose of Trainers Edge-what do you think you should do?
      Trainer's Edge has a specific pupose as does TDC. If you are not on a Wood
      Badge or NYLT staff why would you attend Trainer's Edge?

      Keep in mind here I am neither advocating or condemning either action, what
      do YOU think you should do and WHY?

      Wally Hymel
      Course Director
      Wood Badge SR-957
      SE Louisiana Council
      March 2009

      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
        It sounds like TDC is on the verge of being replaced by Trainer's Edge.
        And if I'm hoping to one day be on staff for WB, I would already have
        taken it.

        Wally Hymel wrote:
        > After reading the purpose of Trainers Edge-what do you think you should do?
        > Trainer's Edge has a specific pupose as does TDC. If you are not on a Wood
        > Badge or NYLT staff why would you attend Trainer's Edge?
        >
        > Keep in mind here I am neither advocating or condemning either action, what
        > do YOU think you should do and WHY?
        >
        > Wally Hymel
        > Course Director
        > Wood Badge SR-957
        > SE Louisiana Council
        > March 2009

      • Leslie
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
          What if you are not on a Wood Badge or a NYLT staff? What course do you
          take? It plainly says it replaces the TDC for those two courses?
          ---
          Leslie

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
            I may be missing something here as I don't think I've read all the emails,
            so forgive me if I'm misspeaking.

            But I've been on Wood Badge Staff, I'm a TDC instructor, and my son was SPL
            of NYLT this year in our council. I know of the Trainer's EDGE and I assume
            since I've helped prepare staff for WB with the TDC in recent years, I may
            end up teaching that course too at some point.

            At any rate, why would you not want an interested leader to have this
            training even if it turns out that that person doesn't staff a Wood Badge or
            NYLT course? The ideas would be helpful to anyone who's a trainer, I would
            think. Again, I haven't seen the syllabus, so I don't know how specific it
            is to those courses. But my experience has been that the more training
            everyone gets, the better.

            If you have a tight classroom and can't offer it to all the folks who want
            it, hooray! You have more participation than I usually see. In that case,
            yes, I would restrict it to only the people who will certainly be invited to
            be on one of those staffs. Otherwise, is it a problem, though?

            Again, if this is not the issue, please forgive me and delete.

            Wanda

          • Teresa Hall
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
              Okay, I'm leading Trainer's EDGE Saturday and Sunday (yes split over two
              days to work with a WB staff development.)

              Here are my thoughts, from deep in the throes of course preparation.
              Trainer's EDGE presupposes an introduction to and somewhat of an
              understanding of the EDGE model, and moves on from there. That's something
              that's gotten from either Wood Badge for the 21st Century or NYLT; to my
              knowledge it is not taught in any other BSA materials. Yes, the earlier
              years of WB for 21st Century/ NYLT did not use the EDGE acronym, but used
              the same concepts.

              Some may argue that a leader with no exposure could pick up enough to make a
              difference by attending the course, but I honestly think the time spent on
              the model is only enough to reinforce, not teach anew.

              In my opinion, and mine alone, I would be happy to welcome anyone who has
              taken WB for the 21st Century OR NYLT into a Trainer's EDGE course. Other
              folks I would only take if they were staffing one of the above courses,
              where they should have gained some understanding of the model through
              reading the syllabus and staff development. Another way to put it, I would
              limit enrollment to anyone who was a current *or potential *staffer of the
              above two course.

              Let the debate continue.

              Teresa Hall
              Trainer's EDGE course director Jan 10-11, 2009
              SR-889 Scoutmaster
              Greater AL Council

            • SeanWaiss@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see, I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under the sun.

                Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

                Sean Waiss
                This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                  I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
                  Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
                  and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
                  EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
                  comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.

                  Teresa Hall

                • Teresa Hall
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                    Well you know, that's why it's sometimes a good thing to go out on a limb
                    and give your opinion - to learn! Thanks, Sean.

                    Teresa

                    On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                    > Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been
                    > permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in
                    > Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My
                    > feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see,
                    > I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time
                    > I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional
                    > supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with
                    > NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though
                    > they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under
                    > the sun.
                    >
                    > Tongue firmly planted in cheek.
                    >
                    > Sean Waiss
                    > This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

                  • Bill Kuhfuss
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                      The teaching EDGE is presented in Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training as a way Scouts can learn skills.
                      Bill Kuhfuss, Cradle of Liberty

                      ----------
                      I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
                      Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
                      and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
                      EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
                      comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.
                      Teresa Hall

                    • scoutinglady
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                        Hi All,
                        Just had to chime in on this one...
                        I train at all levels...Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing and have
                        staffed numerous Woogbadge courses...and have the most recent syllabus
                        books as of late October. I have not found any of the The Training
                        EDGE information included in any of the Basic Leader Specific
                        trainings (I amy have missed or forgotten something, I've slept since
                        the last time I trained). There is one reference to the Leading EDGE
                        in the SmLST.
                        Since I am not on Woodbadge staff this year...staffing Powderhorn
                        instead...I won't be exposed to the Training EDGE yet as a course but
                        I have staffed (4 or 5) and directed a TDC and I think perhaps there
                        is a place for an "Intro to Training" (TDC) to whet an appetite and
                        get a new trainer off to a good start. This would also be for those
                        folks who might not be planning to be a District trainer but to train
                        per say in their units. Then to be followed by a more advanced
                        training The Training EDGE to expand information and knowledge and for
                        those who will continue as a District or Council trainer as well as
                        Woodbadge & NYLT staffers.

                        Anyway, I look forward to being exposed to this training eventually.

                        YIS,
                        Scoutinglady
                        OT District Training Chair, ETAC
                        ADC Venturing OT District
                        Advisor Crew 42 Tyler TX
                        CC Troop 180 Winnsboro
                        I used to be a Beaver (SR-281) &
                        A good old Staffer, Too
                        (SR-447, SR-554, SR-688, SR-751 & SR-897)

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Hall" <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

                        > I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my
                        focus is
                        > Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture
                        Advisors
                        > and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them.
                        So if the
                        > EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne
                        Rosannadanna
                        > comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub
                        literature.

                        > Teresa Hall

                      • Bill Kuhfuss
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                          In SM/SA-LST. Leading EDGE. Session 1: Working With Boy Leaders / The
                          Patrol Method | Matching Leadership Styles ? (pp 58-59). Teaching EDGE.
                          Session 2: Preopening Activity and reinforced in Session 2: Advancement.
                          The current training manual is, thankfully, modern.

                        • Peter Mullaney
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                            On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                            > Sean Waiss
                            > ->This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA
                            > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry <-
                            >

                            > Huh? I assume this means that you were selected as a second assistant SM
                            > for a National Jamboree Troop? Congratulations! We finished our interviews
                            > on Dec 23rd and hope to have our recommendations approved and announced
                            > later this month.
                            >

                            > Pete M.

                          • Fred Goodwin
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                              --- In Boy-Scout-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Walker" <Ken.Walker@...> wrote:

                              > Does anyone have dates for other "nearby" councils TDC/Trainer's EDGE
                              > courses in the Jan-March timeframe?

                              Trainer Development Conference, Alamo Area Council (San Antonio, TX)

                              Saturday, 17 Jan. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Alamo Heights United Methodist Church (West Wing 2nd floor) 825 E. Basse Rd. Cost: $2. Contact Dennis Hayes at 210.545.5622 or email: dhayes17@..., or Dwayne Cloar, at 210.341.8611, ext. 142 or dcloar@...

                              --
                              National Episcopal Scouters Association:
                              http://www.nationalepiscopalscouting.com/
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 9, 2009
                                Pete-

                                Yes, that is what it means. I've been asking about our council plans for the last 9 months, got the applications for my son and myself submitted in September, and was contacted in December with the leaders' interview schedule. The interviews were this past Wednesday and I was the final interviewee (that happens when your last name is near the end of the alphabet).

                                I do not know what the breakdown for leader applications might have been, but I applied only for the 2nd Assistant position due to my lack of Wood badge. I was home for less than an hour before I received a call and offer to fill that role. Our Council NJ2010 Informational Meeting is in 3 weeks, so I'm already trying to promote Scout, family, and Scouter attendance at that, starting with Roundtable last night.

                                See you at the Hill!!

                                Sean Waiss

                                From: "Peter Mullaney" <mullaney@...>

                                Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 19:34:04