RE: [Scouter_T] RE: [Boy-Scout-Talk] TDC / Trainer's EDGE in Texas?

  • Rick Rambo
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 6, 2009
      Well, from page five of the Syllabus:

      Purpose of the Course

      The Trainer’s EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500) as
      the required trainthe-

      trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The purpose of the Trainer’s
      EDGE course is to

      provide and help develop the platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to
      supplement the practice

      offered through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the
      participant, while

      raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff experience. Only
      practice can polish these skills,

      but this course is intended to “train the trainer” on behaviors and
      resources while offering hands‐on

      experience in methods and media.

      So, to me it sounds like a full on replacement.

      Rick Rambo

      Portland, Oregon

      “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
      inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of
      facts and evidence.” -John Adams

      _____

      From: Ken Walker[SMTP:Ken.Walker@mscsoftw
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
        Cascade Pacific Council will present the first in the council Trainer's Edge
        on February 28 - primary target is WB and NYLT Staffs and District Training
        Chairs so the districts can present it to their teams.

        Rick Rambo

        From: scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
        We were told at our Area conference that the Trainer's Edge for now was
        only

        for Wood Badge and NYLT staff. Somewhere down the road it should take the
        place of TDC. But according to the powers that be, not in the direct
        future.

        Sheron Harder
        University of Scouting Course Director
        EIGHTOWLS@aol. <mailto:EIGHTOWLS%40aol.com> com
        916-383-3311 work
        916-383-7855 private line at work
        916-683-0245 home
        916-203-8143 cell

        ----------
        From: Ken Walker[SMTP:_Ken.Walker@ <mailto:_Ken.Walker%40mscsoftwKen.Wal>
        mscsoftwKen.Wal_
        (mailto:Ken.Walker@mscsoftw <mailto:Ken.Walker%40mscsoftware.com>
        are.com) ]
        Trainer's EDGE is the new "trainer course" (replacing Trainer
        Development Conference - TDC).
        Circle Ten has the new course scheduled for Feb-14th, but this doesn't
        work for some Scouters I know.
        Does anyone have dates for other "nearby" councils TDC/Trainer'Does anyon

        headlines. (http://www.aol
        <http://www.aol <http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026>
        com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026>
        com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

      • Terry Lind
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
          The only video needed is "Communicating Well", which is included in the WB syllabus.  Since this course is only required for WB staffs and NYLT staffs at this point, all current course directors should have this in hand.
          Terry Lind
          Feisty Fox
          SR-162
          SPL SR-957

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
            So ... if you are on the District training team .... but aspire to staff
            a WoodBadge course ... what do you do?
            TDC? Or Trainer's Edge?

            Lisa Titus
            Cubmaster
            Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
            different results. ~ Albert Einstein

          • Wally Hymel
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
              After reading the purpose of Trainers Edge-what do you think you should do?
              Trainer's Edge has a specific pupose as does TDC. If you are not on a Wood
              Badge or NYLT staff why would you attend Trainer's Edge?

              Keep in mind here I am neither advocating or condemning either action, what
              do YOU think you should do and WHY?

              Wally Hymel
              Course Director
              Wood Badge SR-957
              SE Louisiana Council
              March 2009

              Pack 358 http://www.pack358 <http://www.pack358.us> us
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
              different results. ~ Albert Einstein

            • Lisa
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                It sounds like TDC is on the verge of being replaced by Trainer's Edge.
                And if I'm hoping to one day be on staff for WB, I would already have
                taken it.

                Wally Hymel wrote:
                > After reading the purpose of Trainers Edge-what do you think you should do?
                > Trainer's Edge has a specific pupose as does TDC. If you are not on a Wood
                > Badge or NYLT staff why would you attend Trainer's Edge?
                >
                > Keep in mind here I am neither advocating or condemning either action, what
                > do YOU think you should do and WHY?
                >
                > Wally Hymel
                > Course Director
                > Wood Badge SR-957
                > SE Louisiana Council
                > March 2009

              • Leslie
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                  What if you are not on a Wood Badge or a NYLT staff? What course do you
                  take? It plainly says it replaces the TDC for those two courses?
                  ---
                  Leslie

                  > The Trainer’s EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500)
                  > as
                  > the required trainthe-
                  >
                  > trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The purpose of the Trainer’s
                  > EDGE course is to
                  >
                  > provide and help develop the platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to
                  > supplement the practice
                  >
                  > offered through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the
                  > participant, while
                  >
                  > raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff experience. Only
                  > practice can polish these skills,
                  >
                  > but this course is intended to “train the trainer” on behaviors and
                  > resources while offering hands‐on
                  >
                  > experience in methods and media.
                  >
                  > So, to me it sounds like a full on replacement.
                  >

                  > Rick Rambo
                  >
                  > Portland, Oregon
                  >
                  > “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
                  > inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state
                  > of
                  > facts and evidence.” -John Adams
                  >
                  > _____

                • Wanda Grimes
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                    I may be missing something here as I don't think I've read all the emails,
                    so forgive me if I'm misspeaking.

                    But I've been on Wood Badge Staff, I'm a TDC instructor, and my son was SPL
                    of NYLT this year in our council. I know of the Trainer's EDGE and I assume
                    since I've helped prepare staff for WB with the TDC in recent years, I may
                    end up teaching that course too at some point.

                    At any rate, why would you not want an interested leader to have this
                    training even if it turns out that that person doesn't staff a Wood Badge or
                    NYLT course? The ideas would be helpful to anyone who's a trainer, I would
                    think. Again, I haven't seen the syllabus, so I don't know how specific it
                    is to those courses. But my experience has been that the more training
                    everyone gets, the better.

                    If you have a tight classroom and can't offer it to all the folks who want
                    it, hooray! You have more participation than I usually see. In that case,
                    yes, I would restrict it to only the people who will certainly be invited to
                    be on one of those staffs. Otherwise, is it a problem, though?

                    Again, if this is not the issue, please forgive me and delete.

                    Wanda

                  • Teresa Hall
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                      Okay, I'm leading Trainer's EDGE Saturday and Sunday (yes split over two
                      days to work with a WB staff development.)

                      Here are my thoughts, from deep in the throes of course preparation.
                      Trainer's EDGE presupposes an introduction to and somewhat of an
                      understanding of the EDGE model, and moves on from there. That's something
                      that's gotten from either Wood Badge for the 21st Century or NYLT; to my
                      knowledge it is not taught in any other BSA materials. Yes, the earlier
                      years of WB for 21st Century/ NYLT did not use the EDGE acronym, but used
                      the same concepts.

                      Some may argue that a leader with no exposure could pick up enough to make a
                      difference by attending the course, but I honestly think the time spent on
                      the model is only enough to reinforce, not teach anew.

                      In my opinion, and mine alone, I would be happy to welcome anyone who has
                      taken WB for the 21st Century OR NYLT into a Trainer's EDGE course. Other
                      folks I would only take if they were staffing one of the above courses,
                      where they should have gained some understanding of the model through
                      reading the syllabus and staff development. Another way to put it, I would
                      limit enrollment to anyone who was a current *or potential *staffer of the
                      above two course.

                      Let the debate continue.

                      Teresa Hall
                      Trainer's EDGE course director Jan 10-11, 2009
                      SR-889 Scoutmaster
                      Greater AL Council

                    • SeanWaiss@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                        Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see, I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under the sun.

                        Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

                        Sean Waiss
                        This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                          I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
                          Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
                          and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
                          EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
                          comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.

                          Teresa Hall

                        • Teresa Hall
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                            Well you know, that's why it's sometimes a good thing to go out on a limb
                            and give your opinion - to learn! Thanks, Sean.

                            Teresa

                            On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                            > Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been
                            > permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in
                            > Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My
                            > feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see,
                            > I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time
                            > I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional
                            > supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with
                            > NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though
                            > they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under
                            > the sun.
                            >
                            > Tongue firmly planted in cheek.
                            >
                            > Sean Waiss
                            > This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

                          • Bill Kuhfuss
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                              The teaching EDGE is presented in Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training as a way Scouts can learn skills.
                              Bill Kuhfuss, Cradle of Liberty

                              ----------
                              I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
                              Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
                              and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
                              EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
                              comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.
                              Teresa Hall

                            • scoutinglady
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                Hi All,
                                Just had to chime in on this one...
                                I train at all levels...Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing and have
                                staffed numerous Woogbadge courses...and have the most recent syllabus
                                books as of late October. I have not found any of the The Training
                                EDGE information included in any of the Basic Leader Specific
                                trainings (I amy have missed or forgotten something, I've slept since
                                the last time I trained). There is one reference to the Leading EDGE
                                in the SmLST.
                                Since I am not on Woodbadge staff this year...staffing Powderhorn
                                instead...I won't be exposed to the Training EDGE yet as a course but
                                I have staffed (4 or 5) and directed a TDC and I think perhaps there
                                is a place for an "Intro to Training" (TDC) to whet an appetite and
                                get a new trainer off to a good start. This would also be for those
                                folks who might not be planning to be a District trainer but to train
                                per say in their units. Then to be followed by a more advanced
                                training The Training EDGE to expand information and knowledge and for
                                those who will continue as a District or Council trainer as well as
                                Woodbadge & NYLT staffers.

                                Anyway, I look forward to being exposed to this training eventually.

                                YIS,
                                Scoutinglady
                                OT District Training Chair, ETAC
                                ADC Venturing OT District
                                Advisor Crew 42 Tyler TX
                                CC Troop 180 Winnsboro
                                I used to be a Beaver (SR-281) &
                                A good old Staffer, Too
                                (SR-447, SR-554, SR-688, SR-751 & SR-897)

                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Hall" <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

                                > I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my
                                focus is
                                > Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture
                                Advisors
                                > and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them.
                                So if the
                                > EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne
                                Rosannadanna
                                > comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub
                                literature.

                                > Teresa Hall

                              • Bill Kuhfuss
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                  In SM/SA-LST. Leading EDGE. Session 1: Working With Boy Leaders / The
                                  Patrol Method | Matching Leadership Styles ? (pp 58-59). Teaching EDGE.
                                  Session 2: Preopening Activity and reinforced in Session 2: Advancement.
                                  The current training manual is, thankfully, modern.

                                • Peter Mullaney
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                    On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                                    > Sean Waiss
                                    > ->This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA
                                    > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry <-
                                    >

                                    > Huh? I assume this means that you were selected as a second assistant SM
                                    > for a National Jamboree Troop? Congratulations! We finished our interviews
                                    > on Dec 23rd and hope to have our recommendations approved and announced
                                    > later this month.
                                    >

                                    > Pete M.

                                  • Fred Goodwin
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                      --- In Boy-Scout-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Walker" <Ken.Walker@...> wrote:

                                      > Does anyone have dates for other "nearby" councils TDC/Trainer's EDGE
                                      > courses in the Jan-March timeframe?

                                      Trainer Development Conference, Alamo Area Council (San Antonio, TX)

                                      Saturday, 17 Jan. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Alamo Heights United Methodist Church (West Wing 2nd floor) 825 E. Basse Rd. Cost: $2. Contact Dennis Hayes at 210.545.5622 or email: dhayes17@..., or Dwayne Cloar, at 210.341.8611, ext. 142 or dcloar@...

                                      --
                                      National Episcopal Scouters Association:
                                      http://www.nationalepiscopalscouting.com/
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 9, 2009
                                        Pete-

                                        Yes, that is what it means. I've been asking about our council plans for the last 9 months, got the applications for my son and myself submitted in September, and was contacted in December with the leaders' interview schedule. The interviews were this past Wednesday and I was the final interviewee (that happens when your last name is near the end of the alphabet).

                                        I do not know what the breakdown for leader applications might have been, but I applied only for the 2nd Assistant position due to my lack of Wood badge. I was home for less than an hour before I received a call and offer to fill that role. Our Council NJ2010 Informational Meeting is in 3 weeks, so I'm already trying to promote Scout, family, and Scouter attendance at that, starting with Roundtable last night.

                                        See you at the Hill!!

                                        Sean Waiss

                                        From: "Peter Mullaney" <mullaney@...>

                                        Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 19:34:04