RE: [Scouter_T] RE: [Boy-Scout-Talk] TDC / Trainer's EDGE in Texas?

  • Rick Rambo
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 6, 2009
      Well, from page five of the Syllabus:

      Purpose of the Course

      The Trainer’s EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500) as
      the required trainthe-

      trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The purpose of the Trainer’s
      EDGE course is to

      provide and help develop the platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to
      supplement the practice

      offered through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the
      participant, while

      raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff experience. Only
      practice can polish these skills,

      but this course is intended to “train the trainer” on behaviors and
      resources while offering hands‐on

      experience in methods and media.

      So, to me it sounds like a full on replacement.

      Rick Rambo

      Portland, Oregon

      “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
      inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of
      facts and evidence.” -John Adams

      _____

      From: Ken Walker[SMTP:Ken.Walker@mscsoftw
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
        At the Dec meeting of the Patriots' Path Council (NJ) Training committee, it
        was discussed and I believe it was decided to run Trainer's Edge and NOT TDC
        this year. It's usually done in the March time frame.
        Pete M.

        On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Alan Smason <asmason@...> wrote:

        > Wally,
        > I know that the SR-957 Wood Badge Course is having Trainer's EDGE
        > presented for their staff members this weekend and I hope that works out
        > well for you and your staff.
        > In the meantime, are there any councils planning on presenting
        > Trainer's EDGE as either a replacement for the traditional Trainer's
        > Development Conference or as part of their regular (non-Wood Badge or
        > non-advanced training staff development) training calendars anytime soon?
        >
        > Just wondering,
        >
        > Alan Smason
        > Southeast Louisiana Council
        > .

      • Rick Rambo
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
          Cascade Pacific Council will present the first in the council Trainer's Edge
          on February 28 - primary target is WB and NYLT Staffs and District Training
          Chairs so the districts can present it to their teams.

          Rick Rambo

          From: scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
          We were told at our Area conference that the Trainer's Edge for now was
          only

          for Wood Badge and NYLT staff. Somewhere down the road it should take the
          place of TDC. But according to the powers that be, not in the direct
          future.

          Sheron Harder
          University of Scouting Course Director
          EIGHTOWLS@aol. <mailto:EIGHTOWLS%40aol.com> com
          916-383-3311 work
          916-383-7855 private line at work
          916-683-0245 home
          916-203-8143 cell

          ----------
          From: Ken Walker[SMTP:_Ken.Walker@ <mailto:_Ken.Walker%40mscsoftwKen.Wal>
          mscsoftwKen.Wal_
          (mailto:Ken.Walker@mscsoftw <mailto:Ken.Walker%40mscsoftware.com>
          are.com) ]
          Trainer's EDGE is the new "trainer course" (replacing Trainer
          Development Conference - TDC).
          Circle Ten has the new course scheduled for Feb-14th, but this doesn't
          work for some Scouters I know.
          Does anyone have dates for other "nearby" councils TDC/Trainer'Does anyon

          headlines. (http://www.aol
          <http://www.aol <http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026>
          com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026>
          com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

        • Michael Crothers
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
            Catalina Council training committee has decided to replace the scheduled TDC courses  with the Trainer's Edge syllabus. Our dates are 1/10/09, 4/18/09, 8/29/09, and 12/4/09.

            Yours In Scouting

            Mike Crothers

            Assistant District Commissioner

            Spanish Trails District

            Catalina Council Pow Wow Chair 2008 & 09

            and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

            and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

            The Trainer's EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500) as

            the required train the-trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The

            purpose of the Trainer's EDGE course is to provide and help develop the

            platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to supplement the practice offered

            through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the

            participant, while raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff

            experience."

            ----

            Leslie

            Blue Water Council - Port Huron, MI

            Council Training Chairman

            ScoutReach Commissioner

            Cubmaster - Pack 101

            CST moderator

          • tttrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
              Old Hickory Council in North Carolina ran the Trainer's EDGE instead of TDC
              in December.

              We used to do a 2 Saturday TDC, with the second Saturday being a chance for
              them to prepare and present a topic using the skills they learned. Trainer's
              EDGE comes closer to that concept.

              --- On Wed, 1/7/09, Leslie <_lbthmi@..._ (mailto:lbthmi@...)

              From: Leslie <_lbthmi@..._ (mailto:lbthmi@...) >
              To: _scouter_t@yahoogrouscoute_ (mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com)
              Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 6:18 AM

              Page 5 of the Trainer's Edge syllabus -

              "Purpose of the Course

              The Trainer's EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500) as

              the required train the-trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The

              purpose of the Trainer's EDGE course is to provide and help develop the

              platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to supplement the practice offered

              through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the

              participant, while raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff

              experience."

              ----

              Leslie

              Blue Water Council - Port Huron, MI

              Council Training Chairman

              ScoutReach Commissioner

              Cubmaster - Pack 101

              CST moderator

            • Michael Homrighaus
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                The Otschodela Council (Oneonta, NY) is running Trainers EDGE on
                January 29th in lieu of TDC. The Baden-Powell Council (Binghamton, NY)
                is studying the possibility of changing a TDC in March to a Trainers
                Edge.
                The major issue in both of these cases is that the councils don't have
                the time or resources to run both on short notice, and each needs
                Trainers EDGE (Otschodela for Wood Badge, Baden-Powell for NYLT). The
                WBCDC for the Northeast Region stated that Trainers EDGE was required
                for 2009 WB course staffs, and for 2010 NYLT staffs.

                Mike Homrighaus
                Taughannock District Training Chair
                NYLT ASM
                Baden-Powell Council.
              • Scott Smith
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Question about Trainer's EDGE:

                  All I have seen is the syllabus from the web site? Is there an associated
                  DVD or any type of AV materials, or other materials, that go with this
                  training?

                  Scott Smith
                  Catalina Council Training Chair

                  D. Scott Smith 9000 S. Rita Phone:
                  IBM Systems & Technology Rd. (520)799-4980
                  Group BLDG 9032 Tie Line: 321-4980
                  Advisory Engineer, DA Tucson, AZ
                  Disk Encryption 85744 Email:
                  smithds@...

                • Terry Lind
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                    The only video needed is "Communicating Well", which is included in the WB syllabus.  Since this course is only required for WB staffs and NYLT staffs at this point, all current course directors should have this in hand.
                    Terry Lind
                    Feisty Fox
                    SR-162
                    SPL SR-957

                    ________________________________
                    All I have seen is the syllabus from the web site? Is there an associated
                    DVD or any type of AV materials, or other materials, that go with this
                    training?

                    Scott Smith
                    Catalina Council Training Chair

                    D. Scott Smith 9000 S. Rita Phone:
                    IBM Systems & Technology Rd. (520)799-4980
                    Group BLDG 9032 Tie Line: 321-4980
                    Advisory Engineer, DA Tucson, AZ
                    Disk Encryption 85744 Email:
                    smithds@.... com

                  • Lisa
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                      So ... if you are on the District training team .... but aspire to staff
                      a WoodBadge course ... what do you do?
                      TDC? Or Trainer's Edge?

                      Lisa Titus
                      Cubmaster
                      Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
                      different results. ~ Albert Einstein

                    • Wally Hymel
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                        After reading the purpose of Trainers Edge-what do you think you should do?
                        Trainer's Edge has a specific pupose as does TDC. If you are not on a Wood
                        Badge or NYLT staff why would you attend Trainer's Edge?

                        Keep in mind here I am neither advocating or condemning either action, what
                        do YOU think you should do and WHY?

                        Wally Hymel
                        Course Director
                        Wood Badge SR-957
                        SE Louisiana Council
                        March 2009

                        Pack 358 http://www.pack358 <http://www.pack358.us> us

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                          It sounds like TDC is on the verge of being replaced by Trainer's Edge.
                          And if I'm hoping to one day be on staff for WB, I would already have
                          taken it.

                          Wally Hymel wrote:
                          > After reading the purpose of Trainers Edge-what do you think you should do?
                          > Trainer's Edge has a specific pupose as does TDC. If you are not on a Wood
                          > Badge or NYLT staff why would you attend Trainer's Edge?
                          >
                          > Keep in mind here I am neither advocating or condemning either action, what
                          > do YOU think you should do and WHY?
                          >
                          > Wally Hymel
                          > Course Director
                          > Wood Badge SR-957
                          > SE Louisiana Council
                          > March 2009

                        • Leslie
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                            What if you are not on a Wood Badge or a NYLT staff? What course do you
                            take? It plainly says it replaces the TDC for those two courses?
                            ---
                            Leslie

                            > The Trainer’s EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500)
                            > as
                            > the required trainthe-
                            >
                            > trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The purpose of the Trainer’s
                            > EDGE course is to
                            >
                            > provide and help develop the platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to
                            > supplement the practice
                            >
                            > offered through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the
                            > participant, while
                            >
                            > raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff experience. Only
                            > practice can polish these skills,
                            >
                            > but this course is intended to “train the trainer” on behaviors and
                            > resources while offering hands‐on
                            >
                            > experience in methods and media.
                            >
                            > So, to me it sounds like a full on replacement.
                            >

                            > Rick Rambo
                            >
                            > Portland, Oregon
                            >
                            > “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
                            > inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state
                            > of
                            > facts and evidence.” -John Adams
                            >
                            > _____

                          • Wanda Grimes
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                              I may be missing something here as I don't think I've read all the emails,
                              so forgive me if I'm misspeaking.

                              But I've been on Wood Badge Staff, I'm a TDC instructor, and my son was SPL
                              of NYLT this year in our council. I know of the Trainer's EDGE and I assume
                              since I've helped prepare staff for WB with the TDC in recent years, I may
                              end up teaching that course too at some point.

                              At any rate, why would you not want an interested leader to have this
                              training even if it turns out that that person doesn't staff a Wood Badge or
                              NYLT course? The ideas would be helpful to anyone who's a trainer, I would
                              think. Again, I haven't seen the syllabus, so I don't know how specific it
                              is to those courses. But my experience has been that the more training
                              everyone gets, the better.

                              If you have a tight classroom and can't offer it to all the folks who want
                              it, hooray! You have more participation than I usually see. In that case,
                              yes, I would restrict it to only the people who will certainly be invited to
                              be on one of those staffs. Otherwise, is it a problem, though?

                              Again, if this is not the issue, please forgive me and delete.

                              Wanda

                            • Teresa Hall
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                Okay, I'm leading Trainer's EDGE Saturday and Sunday (yes split over two
                                days to work with a WB staff development.)

                                Here are my thoughts, from deep in the throes of course preparation.
                                Trainer's EDGE presupposes an introduction to and somewhat of an
                                understanding of the EDGE model, and moves on from there. That's something
                                that's gotten from either Wood Badge for the 21st Century or NYLT; to my
                                knowledge it is not taught in any other BSA materials. Yes, the earlier
                                years of WB for 21st Century/ NYLT did not use the EDGE acronym, but used
                                the same concepts.

                                Some may argue that a leader with no exposure could pick up enough to make a
                                difference by attending the course, but I honestly think the time spent on
                                the model is only enough to reinforce, not teach anew.

                                In my opinion, and mine alone, I would be happy to welcome anyone who has
                                taken WB for the 21st Century OR NYLT into a Trainer's EDGE course. Other
                                folks I would only take if they were staffing one of the above courses,
                                where they should have gained some understanding of the model through
                                reading the syllabus and staff development. Another way to put it, I would
                                limit enrollment to anyone who was a current *or potential *staffer of the
                                above two course.

                                Let the debate continue.

                                Teresa Hall
                                Trainer's EDGE course director Jan 10-11, 2009
                                SR-889 Scoutmaster
                                Greater AL Council

                              • SeanWaiss@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                  Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see, I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under the sun.

                                  Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

                                  Sean Waiss
                                  This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                    I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
                                    Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
                                    and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
                                    EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
                                    comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.

                                    Teresa Hall

                                  • Teresa Hall
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                      Well you know, that's why it's sometimes a good thing to go out on a limb
                                      and give your opinion - to learn! Thanks, Sean.

                                      Teresa

                                      On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                                      > Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been
                                      > permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in
                                      > Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My
                                      > feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see,
                                      > I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time
                                      > I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional
                                      > supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with
                                      > NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though
                                      > they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under
                                      > the sun.
                                      >
                                      > Tongue firmly planted in cheek.
                                      >
                                      > Sean Waiss
                                      > This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

                                    • Bill Kuhfuss
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                        The teaching EDGE is presented in Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training as a way Scouts can learn skills.
                                        Bill Kuhfuss, Cradle of Liberty

                                        ----------
                                        I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
                                        Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
                                        and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
                                        EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
                                        comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.
                                        Teresa Hall

                                      • scoutinglady
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                          Hi All,
                                          Just had to chime in on this one...
                                          I train at all levels...Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing and have
                                          staffed numerous Woogbadge courses...and have the most recent syllabus
                                          books as of late October. I have not found any of the The Training
                                          EDGE information included in any of the Basic Leader Specific
                                          trainings (I amy have missed or forgotten something, I've slept since
                                          the last time I trained). There is one reference to the Leading EDGE
                                          in the SmLST.
                                          Since I am not on Woodbadge staff this year...staffing Powderhorn
                                          instead...I won't be exposed to the Training EDGE yet as a course but
                                          I have staffed (4 or 5) and directed a TDC and I think perhaps there
                                          is a place for an "Intro to Training" (TDC) to whet an appetite and
                                          get a new trainer off to a good start. This would also be for those
                                          folks who might not be planning to be a District trainer but to train
                                          per say in their units. Then to be followed by a more advanced
                                          training The Training EDGE to expand information and knowledge and for
                                          those who will continue as a District or Council trainer as well as
                                          Woodbadge & NYLT staffers.

                                          Anyway, I look forward to being exposed to this training eventually.

                                          YIS,
                                          Scoutinglady
                                          OT District Training Chair, ETAC
                                          ADC Venturing OT District
                                          Advisor Crew 42 Tyler TX
                                          CC Troop 180 Winnsboro
                                          I used to be a Beaver (SR-281) &
                                          A good old Staffer, Too
                                          (SR-447, SR-554, SR-688, SR-751 & SR-897)

                                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Hall" <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

                                          > I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my
                                          focus is
                                          > Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture
                                          Advisors
                                          > and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them.
                                          So if the
                                          > EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne
                                          Rosannadanna
                                          > comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub
                                          literature.

                                          > Teresa Hall

                                        • Bill Kuhfuss
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                            In SM/SA-LST. Leading EDGE. Session 1: Working With Boy Leaders / The
                                            Patrol Method | Matching Leadership Styles ? (pp 58-59). Teaching EDGE.
                                            Session 2: Preopening Activity and reinforced in Session 2: Advancement.
                                            The current training manual is, thankfully, modern.

                                          • Peter Mullaney
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                              On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                                              > Sean Waiss
                                              > ->This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA
                                              > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry <-
                                              >

                                              > Huh? I assume this means that you were selected as a second assistant SM
                                              > for a National Jamboree Troop? Congratulations! We finished our interviews
                                              > on Dec 23rd and hope to have our recommendations approved and announced
                                              > later this month.
                                              >

                                              > Pete M.

                                            • Fred Goodwin
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                                --- In Boy-Scout-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Walker" <Ken.Walker@...> wrote:

                                                > Does anyone have dates for other "nearby" councils TDC/Trainer's EDGE
                                                > courses in the Jan-March timeframe?

                                                Trainer Development Conference, Alamo Area Council (San Antonio, TX)

                                                Saturday, 17 Jan. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Alamo Heights United Methodist Church (West Wing 2nd floor) 825 E. Basse Rd. Cost: $2. Contact Dennis Hayes at 210.545.5622 or email: dhayes17@..., or Dwayne Cloar, at 210.341.8611, ext. 142 or dcloar@...

                                                --
                                                National Episcopal Scouters Association:
                                                http://www.nationalepiscopalscouting.com/
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 9, 2009
                                                  Pete-

                                                  Yes, that is what it means. I've been asking about our council plans for the last 9 months, got the applications for my son and myself submitted in September, and was contacted in December with the leaders' interview schedule. The interviews were this past Wednesday and I was the final interviewee (that happens when your last name is near the end of the alphabet).

                                                  I do not know what the breakdown for leader applications might have been, but I applied only for the 2nd Assistant position due to my lack of Wood badge. I was home for less than an hour before I received a call and offer to fill that role. Our Council NJ2010 Informational Meeting is in 3 weeks, so I'm already trying to promote Scout, family, and Scouter attendance at that, starting with Roundtable last night.

                                                  See you at the Hill!!

                                                  Sean Waiss

                                                  From: "Peter Mullaney" <mullaney@...>

                                                  Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 19:34:04