RE: [Scouter_T] RE: [Boy-Scout-Talk] TDC / Trainer's EDGE in Texas?

  • Rick Rambo
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 6, 2009
      Well, from page five of the Syllabus:

      Purpose of the Course

      The Trainer’s EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500) as
      the required trainthe-

      trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The purpose of the Trainer’s
      EDGE course is to

      provide and help develop the platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to
      supplement the practice

      offered through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the
      participant, while

      raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff experience. Only
      practice can polish these skills,

      but this course is intended to “train the trainer” on behaviors and
      resources while offering hands‐on

      experience in methods and media.

      So, to me it sounds like a full on replacement.

      Rick Rambo

      Portland, Oregon

      “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
      inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of
      facts and evidence.” -John Adams

      _____

      From: Ken Walker[SMTP:Ken.Walker@mscsoftw
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
        Page 5 of the Trainer's Edge syllabus -

        "Purpose of the Course
        The Trainer's EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500) as
        the required train the-trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The
        purpose of the Trainer's EDGE course is to provide and help develop the
        platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to supplement the practice offered
        through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the
        participant, while raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff
        experience."

        ----
        Leslie
        Blue Water Council - Port Huron, MI
        Council Training Chairman
        ScoutReach Commissioner
        Cubmaster - Pack 101
        CST moderator
      • Peter Mullaney
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
          At the Dec meeting of the Patriots' Path Council (NJ) Training committee, it
          was discussed and I believe it was decided to run Trainer's Edge and NOT TDC
          this year. It's usually done in the March time frame.
          Pete M.

          On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Alan Smason <asmason@...> wrote:

          > Wally,
          > I know that the SR-957 Wood Badge Course is having Trainer's EDGE
          > presented for their staff members this weekend and I hope that works out
          > well for you and your staff.
          > In the meantime, are there any councils planning on presenting
          > Trainer's EDGE as either a replacement for the traditional Trainer's
          > Development Conference or as part of their regular (non-Wood Badge or
          > non-advanced training staff development) training calendars anytime soon?
          >
          > Just wondering,
          >
          > Alan Smason
          > Southeast Louisiana Council
          > .

        • Rick Rambo
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
            Cascade Pacific Council will present the first in the council Trainer's Edge
            on February 28 - primary target is WB and NYLT Staffs and District Training
            Chairs so the districts can present it to their teams.

            Rick Rambo

            From: scouter_t@yahoogrou <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com
            We were told at our Area conference that the Trainer's Edge for now was
            only

            for Wood Badge and NYLT staff. Somewhere down the road it should take the
            place of TDC. But according to the powers that be, not in the direct
            future.

            Sheron Harder
            University of Scouting Course Director
            EIGHTOWLS@aol. <mailto:EIGHTOWLS%40aol.com> com
            916-383-3311 work
            916-383-7855 private line at work
            916-683-0245 home
            916-203-8143 cell

            ----------
            From: Ken Walker[SMTP:_Ken.Walker@ <mailto:_Ken.Walker%40mscsoftwKen.Wal>
            mscsoftwKen.Wal_
            (mailto:Ken.Walker@mscsoftw <mailto:Ken.Walker%40mscsoftware.com>
            are.com) ]
            Trainer's EDGE is the new "trainer course" (replacing Trainer
            Development Conference - TDC).
            Circle Ten has the new course scheduled for Feb-14th, but this doesn't
            work for some Scouters I know.
            Does anyone have dates for other "nearby" councils TDC/Trainer'Does anyon

            headlines. (http://www.aol
            <http://www.aol <http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026>
            com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026>
            com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

          • Michael Crothers
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
              Catalina Council training committee has decided to replace the scheduled TDC courses  with the Trainer's Edge syllabus. Our dates are 1/10/09, 4/18/09, 8/29/09, and 12/4/09.

              Yours In Scouting

              Mike Crothers

              Assistant District Commissioner

              Spanish Trails District

              Catalina Council Pow Wow Chair 2008 & 09

              and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

              and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                Old Hickory Council in North Carolina ran the Trainer's EDGE instead of TDC
                in December.

                We used to do a 2 Saturday TDC, with the second Saturday being a chance for
                them to prepare and present a topic using the skills they learned. Trainer's
                EDGE comes closer to that concept.

                --- On Wed, 1/7/09, Leslie <_lbthmi@..._ (mailto:lbthmi@...)

                From: Leslie <_lbthmi@..._ (mailto:lbthmi@...) >
                To: _scouter_t@yahoogrouscoute_ (mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com)
                Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 6:18 AM

                Page 5 of the Trainer's Edge syllabus -

                "Purpose of the Course

                The Trainer's EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500) as

                the required train the-trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The

                purpose of the Trainer's EDGE course is to provide and help develop the

                platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to supplement the practice offered

                through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the

                participant, while raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff

                experience."

                ----

                Leslie

                Blue Water Council - Port Huron, MI

                Council Training Chairman

                ScoutReach Commissioner

                Cubmaster - Pack 101

                CST moderator

              • Michael Homrighaus
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                  The Otschodela Council (Oneonta, NY) is running Trainers EDGE on
                  January 29th in lieu of TDC. The Baden-Powell Council (Binghamton, NY)
                  is studying the possibility of changing a TDC in March to a Trainers
                  Edge.
                  The major issue in both of these cases is that the councils don't have
                  the time or resources to run both on short notice, and each needs
                  Trainers EDGE (Otschodela for Wood Badge, Baden-Powell for NYLT). The
                  WBCDC for the Northeast Region stated that Trainers EDGE was required
                  for 2009 WB course staffs, and for 2010 NYLT staffs.

                  Mike Homrighaus
                  Taughannock District Training Chair
                  NYLT ASM
                  Baden-Powell Council.
                • Scott Smith
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                    Question about Trainer's EDGE:

                    All I have seen is the syllabus from the web site? Is there an associated
                    DVD or any type of AV materials, or other materials, that go with this
                    training?

                    Scott Smith
                    Catalina Council Training Chair

                    D. Scott Smith 9000 S. Rita Phone:
                    IBM Systems & Technology Rd. (520)799-4980
                    Group BLDG 9032 Tie Line: 321-4980
                    Advisory Engineer, DA Tucson, AZ
                    Disk Encryption 85744 Email:
                    smithds@...

                  • Terry Lind
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                      The only video needed is "Communicating Well", which is included in the WB syllabus.  Since this course is only required for WB staffs and NYLT staffs at this point, all current course directors should have this in hand.
                      Terry Lind
                      Feisty Fox
                      SR-162
                      SPL SR-957

                      ________________________________
                      All I have seen is the syllabus from the web site? Is there an associated
                      DVD or any type of AV materials, or other materials, that go with this
                      training?

                      Scott Smith
                      Catalina Council Training Chair

                      D. Scott Smith 9000 S. Rita Phone:
                      IBM Systems & Technology Rd. (520)799-4980
                      Group BLDG 9032 Tie Line: 321-4980
                      Advisory Engineer, DA Tucson, AZ
                      Disk Encryption 85744 Email:
                      smithds@.... com

                    • Lisa
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                        So ... if you are on the District training team .... but aspire to staff
                        a WoodBadge course ... what do you do?
                        TDC? Or Trainer's Edge?

                        Lisa Titus
                        Cubmaster
                        Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
                        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
                        different results. ~ Albert Einstein

                      • Wally Hymel
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
                          After reading the purpose of Trainers Edge-what do you think you should do?
                          Trainer's Edge has a specific pupose as does TDC. If you are not on a Wood
                          Badge or NYLT staff why would you attend Trainer's Edge?

                          Keep in mind here I am neither advocating or condemning either action, what
                          do YOU think you should do and WHY?

                          Wally Hymel
                          Course Director
                          Wood Badge SR-957
                          SE Louisiana Council
                          March 2009

                          Pack 358 http://www.pack358 <http://www.pack358.us> us

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                            It sounds like TDC is on the verge of being replaced by Trainer's Edge.
                            And if I'm hoping to one day be on staff for WB, I would already have
                            taken it.

                            Wally Hymel wrote:
                            > After reading the purpose of Trainers Edge-what do you think you should do?
                            > Trainer's Edge has a specific pupose as does TDC. If you are not on a Wood
                            > Badge or NYLT staff why would you attend Trainer's Edge?
                            >
                            > Keep in mind here I am neither advocating or condemning either action, what
                            > do YOU think you should do and WHY?
                            >
                            > Wally Hymel
                            > Course Director
                            > Wood Badge SR-957
                            > SE Louisiana Council
                            > March 2009

                          • Leslie
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                              What if you are not on a Wood Badge or a NYLT staff? What course do you
                              take? It plainly says it replaces the TDC for those two courses?
                              ---
                              Leslie

                              > The Trainer’s EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference (BSA 500)
                              > as
                              > the required trainthe-
                              >
                              > trainer course for Wood Badge and NYLT staffs. The purpose of the Trainer’s
                              > EDGE course is to
                              >
                              > provide and help develop the platform skills of a trainer. It is meant to
                              > supplement the practice
                              >
                              > offered through Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the
                              > participant, while
                              >
                              > raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff experience. Only
                              > practice can polish these skills,
                              >
                              > but this course is intended to “train the trainer” on behaviors and
                              > resources while offering hands‐on
                              >
                              > experience in methods and media.
                              >
                              > So, to me it sounds like a full on replacement.
                              >

                              > Rick Rambo
                              >
                              > Portland, Oregon
                              >
                              > “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
                              > inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state
                              > of
                              > facts and evidence.” -John Adams
                              >
                              > _____

                            • Wanda Grimes
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                I may be missing something here as I don't think I've read all the emails,
                                so forgive me if I'm misspeaking.

                                But I've been on Wood Badge Staff, I'm a TDC instructor, and my son was SPL
                                of NYLT this year in our council. I know of the Trainer's EDGE and I assume
                                since I've helped prepare staff for WB with the TDC in recent years, I may
                                end up teaching that course too at some point.

                                At any rate, why would you not want an interested leader to have this
                                training even if it turns out that that person doesn't staff a Wood Badge or
                                NYLT course? The ideas would be helpful to anyone who's a trainer, I would
                                think. Again, I haven't seen the syllabus, so I don't know how specific it
                                is to those courses. But my experience has been that the more training
                                everyone gets, the better.

                                If you have a tight classroom and can't offer it to all the folks who want
                                it, hooray! You have more participation than I usually see. In that case,
                                yes, I would restrict it to only the people who will certainly be invited to
                                be on one of those staffs. Otherwise, is it a problem, though?

                                Again, if this is not the issue, please forgive me and delete.

                                Wanda

                              • Teresa Hall
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                  Okay, I'm leading Trainer's EDGE Saturday and Sunday (yes split over two
                                  days to work with a WB staff development.)

                                  Here are my thoughts, from deep in the throes of course preparation.
                                  Trainer's EDGE presupposes an introduction to and somewhat of an
                                  understanding of the EDGE model, and moves on from there. That's something
                                  that's gotten from either Wood Badge for the 21st Century or NYLT; to my
                                  knowledge it is not taught in any other BSA materials. Yes, the earlier
                                  years of WB for 21st Century/ NYLT did not use the EDGE acronym, but used
                                  the same concepts.

                                  Some may argue that a leader with no exposure could pick up enough to make a
                                  difference by attending the course, but I honestly think the time spent on
                                  the model is only enough to reinforce, not teach anew.

                                  In my opinion, and mine alone, I would be happy to welcome anyone who has
                                  taken WB for the 21st Century OR NYLT into a Trainer's EDGE course. Other
                                  folks I would only take if they were staffing one of the above courses,
                                  where they should have gained some understanding of the model through
                                  reading the syllabus and staff development. Another way to put it, I would
                                  limit enrollment to anyone who was a current *or potential *staffer of the
                                  above two course.

                                  Let the debate continue.

                                  Teresa Hall
                                  Trainer's EDGE course director Jan 10-11, 2009
                                  SR-889 Scoutmaster
                                  Greater AL Council

                                • SeanWaiss@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                    Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see, I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under the sun.

                                    Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

                                    Sean Waiss
                                    This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                      I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
                                      Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
                                      and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
                                      EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
                                      comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.

                                      Teresa Hall

                                    • Teresa Hall
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                        Well you know, that's why it's sometimes a good thing to go out on a limb
                                        and give your opinion - to learn! Thanks, Sean.

                                        Teresa

                                        On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                                        > Hmm, interesting take. With this type of direction I would never have been
                                        > permitted to participate in National's third pilot Trainers' EDGE course (in
                                        > Three Fires Council), when the syllabus was still being developed. My
                                        > feedback would never have been captured, much less considered. You see,
                                        > I've never participated in Wood Badge (be it one word or two). At the time
                                        > I was only a District Cub Training Chair, and was only developing additional
                                        > supplemental training for Cub leaders. That means I had no involvement with
                                        > NYLT either. I'd never been formally exposed to the EDGE concepts, though
                                        > they are only the latest and greatest concepts. Nothing really new under
                                        > the sun.
                                        >
                                        > Tongue firmly planted in cheek.
                                        >
                                        > Sean Waiss
                                        > This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA

                                      • Bill Kuhfuss
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                          The teaching EDGE is presented in Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training as a way Scouts can learn skills.
                                          Bill Kuhfuss, Cradle of Liberty

                                          ----------
                                          I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my focus is
                                          Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture Advisors
                                          and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them. So if the
                                          EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne Rosannadanna
                                          comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub literature.
                                          Teresa Hall

                                        • scoutinglady
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                            Hi All,
                                            Just had to chime in on this one...
                                            I train at all levels...Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing and have
                                            staffed numerous Woogbadge courses...and have the most recent syllabus
                                            books as of late October. I have not found any of the The Training
                                            EDGE information included in any of the Basic Leader Specific
                                            trainings (I amy have missed or forgotten something, I've slept since
                                            the last time I trained). There is one reference to the Leading EDGE
                                            in the SmLST.
                                            Since I am not on Woodbadge staff this year...staffing Powderhorn
                                            instead...I won't be exposed to the Training EDGE yet as a course but
                                            I have staffed (4 or 5) and directed a TDC and I think perhaps there
                                            is a place for an "Intro to Training" (TDC) to whet an appetite and
                                            get a new trainer off to a good start. This would also be for those
                                            folks who might not be planning to be a District trainer but to train
                                            per say in their units. Then to be followed by a more advanced
                                            training The Training EDGE to expand information and knowledge and for
                                            those who will continue as a District or Council trainer as well as
                                            Woodbadge & NYLT staffers.

                                            Anyway, I look forward to being exposed to this training eventually.

                                            YIS,
                                            Scoutinglady
                                            OT District Training Chair, ETAC
                                            ADC Venturing OT District
                                            Advisor Crew 42 Tyler TX
                                            CC Troop 180 Winnsboro
                                            I used to be a Beaver (SR-281) &
                                            A good old Staffer, Too
                                            (SR-447, SR-554, SR-688, SR-751 & SR-897)

                                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Hall" <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

                                            > I should hasten to add that in my primary trainer/Scouting life my
                                            focus is
                                            > Cub Scouting. I have familiarity with SMLST, training for Venture
                                            Advisors
                                            > and the like, but in no way claim to be current or expert in them.
                                            So if the
                                            > EDGE model is now widely integrated, I issue a profound Rosanne
                                            Rosannadanna
                                            > comment: NEVER MIND! I do know it's not introducted in any Cub
                                            literature.

                                            > Teresa Hall

                                          • Bill Kuhfuss
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                              In SM/SA-LST. Leading EDGE. Session 1: Working With Boy Leaders / The
                                              Patrol Method | Matching Leadership Styles ? (pp 58-59). Teaching EDGE.
                                              Session 2: Preopening Activity and reinforced in Session 2: Advancement.
                                              The current training manual is, thankfully, modern.

                                            • Peter Mullaney
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                                On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM, <SeanWaiss@...> wrote:

                                                > Sean Waiss
                                                > ->This just in! SEWIS Council NJ2010 2nd SA
                                                > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry <-
                                                >

                                                > Huh? I assume this means that you were selected as a second assistant SM
                                                > for a National Jamboree Troop? Congratulations! We finished our interviews
                                                > on Dec 23rd and hope to have our recommendations approved and announced
                                                > later this month.
                                                >

                                                > Pete M.

                                              • Fred Goodwin
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
                                                  --- In Boy-Scout-Talk@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Walker" <Ken.Walker@...> wrote:

                                                  > Does anyone have dates for other "nearby" councils TDC/Trainer's EDGE
                                                  > courses in the Jan-March timeframe?

                                                  Trainer Development Conference, Alamo Area Council (San Antonio, TX)

                                                  Saturday, 17 Jan. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Alamo Heights United Methodist Church (West Wing 2nd floor) 825 E. Basse Rd. Cost: $2. Contact Dennis Hayes at 210.545.5622 or email: dhayes17@..., or Dwayne Cloar, at 210.341.8611, ext. 142 or dcloar@...

                                                  --
                                                  National Episcopal Scouters Association:
                                                  http://www.nationalepiscopalscouting.com/
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 9, 2009
                                                    Pete-

                                                    Yes, that is what it means. I've been asking about our council plans for the last 9 months, got the applications for my son and myself submitted in September, and was contacted in December with the leaders' interview schedule. The interviews were this past Wednesday and I was the final interviewee (that happens when your last name is near the end of the alphabet).

                                                    I do not know what the breakdown for leader applications might have been, but I applied only for the 2nd Assistant position due to my lack of Wood badge. I was home for less than an hour before I received a call and offer to fill that role. Our Council NJ2010 Informational Meeting is in 3 weeks, so I'm already trying to promote Scout, family, and Scouter attendance at that, starting with Roundtable last night.

                                                    See you at the Hill!!

                                                    Sean Waiss

                                                    From: "Peter Mullaney" <mullaney@...>

                                                    Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 19:34:04