Holiday Mail for Heroes (XPost)

  • Ilively@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2008
      The American Red Cross will sponsor a national "Holiday Mail for Heroes" campaign to receive and distribute holiday cards to service members and veterans both in the US and aboard. Holiday Mail for Heroes, which begins on Nov. 11,Veteran's Day, is a follow-up to the successful 2007 effort that resulted in the collection and distribution of over 600,000 cards to hospitalized service members. This year's program will expand its reach to not only wounded servicemembers but also veterans and their families. The goal is to collect and distribute 1 million pieces of holiday mail.

      As noted on the Holiday Mail for Heroes section of the American Red Cross' web site,
      ( http://www.redcross.org/email/saf/ )

      "Our goal is to collect and distribute one million holiday cards to spread holiday cheer and facilitate thanks to these brave individuals and families. "

      Please send cards to this address, following the guidelines listed below:

      Holiday Mail for Heroes
      PO Box 5456
      Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

      Please note that the referenced guidelines are important; many contributors have been disappointed in the past to find that they missed the mailing deadline or sent gifts and other types of materials that could not be delivered:

      Please follow these guidelines when mailing a card to ensure that your card will quickly reach service members, veterans and their families. Every card received will first be screened for hazardous materials by Pitney Bowes and then reviewed by Red Cross volunteers working in one of 16 sorting stations around the country.

      • All cards must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, December 10, 2008 . Cards sent after this date will be returned to sender.
      • Participants are encouraged to limit the number of cards they submit to 25 from any one person or 50 from any one class or group. If you are mailing a larger quantity, please bundle the cards and place them in large mailing envelopes. Each card does not need its own envelope or postage .
      • Please ensure that all cards are signed.
      • Please use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Cards addressed to specific individuals can not be delivered through this program.
      • Please send cards as opposed to long letters which delay a quick review process.
      • Please do not include email or home addresses on the cards, as the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
      • Please do not include inserts of any kind , including photos, as these items will be removed during the reviewing process.

      Also please note that the "Holiday Mail for Heroes" program is for the delivery of holiday cards only.

    • Peter Mullaney
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 20, 2008
        Ida et al, In a similar vein, I got the following from a mother of one of
        my PL's:

        I think this is a nice idea�specially if the kids can sign a few cards.

        Subject: Christmas Cards

        I love this idea. I think this is the very least we could do.
        When doing your Christmas cards this year, take one card and send it to
        this address. If we pass this on and everyone sends one card, think of
        how many cards these wonderful special people who have sacrificed so
        much would get.
        A Great Idea!!!
        When you are making out your Christmas card list this year, please
        include the following:
        A Recovering American Soldier
        c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
        6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
        Washington , D.C. 20307-5001

        If you approve, please pass it on.

        Pete M.

      • Lisa
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21, 2008
          Not to rain on anyone's parade .... but these cards will not get to
          soldiers due to security concerns.
          <http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/walterreed.asp>

          The good news is that there is a program that WILL work!!
          Check out: Holiday Mail for Heroes <http://www.redcross.org/email/saf/>