Re: [Scouter_T] Any District Commissioners out there who can help a "Newbie"

  • Richard Damon
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
      On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:43:12 +0000 (UTC), Ilively@... wrote:

      >I've been going through my District section of the Council Training Report. It's a worthless piece of ..... paper!
      >
      >Here's just one example of this screwy report.
      >

      >Ray H Troop 20 as MC. He's had NLE, YP and WEB Troop Committee, but the report says he's not trained.
      >Phil B Troop 20 as MC. He's had NLE, YP and in person Troop Committee. Report says he IS trained.
      >
      >National BSA says there is no difference between the in person and web Troop Committee training.
      >

      >Unfortunately there's a ton more like this in the report, across all program areas (I have CS, BS and Venturing units in my District).
      >
      >Lets try:
      >Pack 23 CC Shawn L Yes NLE, No CSLST, Yes YP. Listed as Trained
      >Pack 44 MC Stephanie R Yes NLE, No CSLST, No YP. Listed as Trained
      >
      >I can only assume that this means that these leaders took CSLBT (before the switch in 2001).
      >
      >It would be like the SM/ASM who have not had SMS/IOLS, but are listed as trained -- they were trained under SMF I, II and III, or it's predecessor. THAT I understand.
      >

      >How about this mystery:
      >Pack 31 CM David M No NLE, Yes CLST, Yes YP. Listed as Trained
      >

      >I've been trying to sort this out. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I feel like I need about 10,000 watts at this point.
      >

      >Ida

      As a District Training Chair, I get these reports and there are issues
      with them but if you understand it, can be useful. What I can figure
      out is that once a person reaches the point where scoutnet considers
      them trained, they get marked trained even if the requirements change
      (which is basically what the policies say), Therefore some people not
      appearing to qualify as trained but marked as such are likely this
      case.

      One new big bugaboo is that with the new web based version of some of
      the courses, it doesn't understand that the person can do either and
      get credit, it seems like it thinks they need to do both (which is not
      what the rules state).

      Add to that the issue of not all records getting into scoutnet, and in
      some cases people going in and manually overriding settings to reflect
      training done but not entered, you can get some conflicting
      information. The best I have figured to do is to talk to people and
      indicate that the records show this ... which say you should take this
      ... and if they tell me they did take it (or a predicessor course) see
      if I can get the records updated. I rarely find people marked as
      having taken a course they haven't.

      Richard Damon
      Scout Master Troop 302
      Pack Trainer, Pack 306
      Arlington MA
      District Training Chair, Sons of Liberty District, Boston Minuteman Council
      I used to be a fox (NE-I-209) and a good old staffer too (NE-I-234, NE-I-244, NE-I-258, NE-I-261)
      | >>>-------------------> |
    • Ilively@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
        Thank you all for your help with this.

        I'm grabbing the records to help my Unit Commissioners when they are reviewing the Centennial Award with their units. There's a requirement of % of leaders trained. I want them to be able to look at a list and say: If you get "So-and-so to take this one part of training, they'll be trained and you'll get the award."

        Over the past week or so, I've looked at the training for all Adult Leaders in my District (at least those registered!), and saw a mess. ;)

        Many of you may recall that I was the District Training Chair for 5+ years, so I have some history available at my fingertips. [I'm very computer oriented and if I didn't put the Training Attendance Sheet directly into a PDF, I scanned them in.] I was also the Training Liaison -- which meant that whenever I had free time, I'd go to the Council Office, take over a computer, and sit down with the most recent Training Attendance Sheets and verify that the training listed was credited.

        I'm glad to hear that I'm not nutz about the online vs in person trainings. I do hope that National gets that part straightened out, especially if we're going to more web-based trainings.

        In Scouting,

        Ida

      • dmcdlgcs
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
          I'm also greatful for the question at this particular time, because
          there are days that this part, which is the majority of the time I
          spend, just doesn't seem worth it...and then a bunch of people remind
          me that I'm not alone, that we have a common goal, and that
          ultimately we are making a difference.

          Thanks, all, for the reminder,

          YIS,
          Dawn Gent