Re: Trainer's EDGE

  • JWoughter
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 1, 2008
      I attended the Northeast Region NYLT conference last weekend at Camp
      Alpine where the new training was discussed in depth.

      What's posted on the national website matches what was put out over the
      weekend (link is: http://www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/Adults/Training.aspx

      NEW! The Trainer's EDGE replaces the Trainer Development Conference
      (BSA 500) as the required train-the-trainer course for Wood Badge and
      NYLT staffs. It is meant to supplement the practice offered through
      Wood Badge and NYLT staff development, with a focus on the participant,
      while raising the level of skill a trainer brings to the staff
      experience. Only practice can polish these skills, but this course is
      intended to "train the trainer" on behaviors and resources while
      offering hands-on experience in methods and media.

      The link on the page above will take you to the training materials,
      which, according to the fellow from National who briefed it (I believe
      it as Joe Glasscock) was posted online so it could be easily updated as
      necessary.

      The harder questions I've seen on this thread aren't as easy to answer:

      - Who can deliver the training? The answer given during the NYLT
      conference was that those who were leading the course (WB or NYLT)
      could give the training to their staff. I suspect the 'correct' answer
      is a bit more subtle, as each council will have their own organization
      and policies when it comes to training. All the syllabus says (p.5) on
      this is "The Trainer's EDGE course should be delivered by a staff of
      experienced trainers." The sample training completion certificate at
      the end has signature lines of the Council Training Chair and Trainer's
      EDGE Instructor

      - Will the Training EDGE replace the TDC for all Scouters? The website
      and syllabus indicate this course replaces TDC for WB and NYLT
      courses. But during the conference it was presented that this course
      is, in fact, the 'New TDC'. I have not staffed a TDC before (I'm only
      a gradute of the course as a trainee) but the new course seems generic
      enough (e.g. it is not WB or NYLT specific) and about the same material
      (e.g. 1-day course). So from my viewpoint, I can believe this course
      could very well end up being the 'New TDC' ... thoguh I suppose we'll
      have to wait something 'more official' for that to become practice.

      Yours in Scouting,

      John Woughter
      'John from Germany'
      Scoutmaster, 2009 Transatlantic Council NYLT

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Hall" <WarEagle78@...> wrote:

      > Our Council's two NYLT Scoutmasters just got back from their course
      > director's conference today, where they were told that their staffers
      (adult
      > and youth) as well as the WB staff next year would be required to have
      > Trainer's EDGE. Has anyone seen the syllabus yet?
      >
      > Teresa Hall
      > Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
      > Greater AL Council

    • Judy Yeager
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 26, 2009
        Trainers -

        I am confused about TDC and Trainer's EDGE. When the EDGE syllabus first came out, I read the introduction where it mentions that this replaces TDC for WB and NYLT staffs. I interpreted this to mean that it is in addition to TDC, but it seems that others interpret it to mean that TDC is now dead and has been replaced by EDGE.

        How do you (or your Council, or word from National that you know about) interpret this?

        Confused in KC,

        Judy Yeager

      • Sandra Martens
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 27, 2009
          TDC is training required for the Pack Trainer's knot, and it the training for CS and Den Chief trainers.  EDGE is for WB and NYLT.

          both still exist.

          Sandy OWL

          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 27, 2009
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
            While I am not on the national group responsible for the writing / re-writing of the Trainer's EDGE and other train-the-trainer syllabi, I do know members of the team. I have exchanged emails with the team and they have encouraged me to use the Trainer's EDGE as a replacement to TDC until the material is re-written. I like the Trainer's EDGE and I will follow this advice even if it is not (yet) the official position.

            Ernie Coco
            Louisiana

            Trainers -

            > I am confused about TDC and Trainer's EDGE. When the EDGE syllabus first came out, I read the introduction where it mentions that this replaces TDC for WB and NYLT staffs. I interpreted this to mean that it is in addition to TDC, but it seems that others interpret it to mean that TDC is now dead and has been replaced by EDGE.
            >
            > How do you (or your Council, or word from National that you know about) interpret this?
            >
            > Confused in KC,
            >
            > Judy Yeager

          • Sandra Martens
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 27, 2009
              the problem I have with Trainer's EDGE is that it assumes you already know all the presentation techniques and does not include the basics of "how to" for them.  New trainers don't know them, because they have never had to use them.

              I realize everything is power point now, but what if you have no computer, or your power goes out?  you need the presentation techniques for plan B in training.  It also isn't as boring as watching power point presentations all day.  You can put a little of yourself in the training.

              Sandy OWL

              While I am not on the national group responsible for the writing / re-writing of the Trainer's EDGE and other train-the-trainer syllabi, I do know members of the team. I have exchanged emails with the team and they have encouraged me to use the Trainer's EDGE as a replacement to TDC until the material is re-written. I like the Trainer's EDGE and I will follow this advice even if it is not (yet) the official position.

              Ernie Coco

              Louisiana

              Trainers -

              > I am confused about TDC and Trainer's EDGE. When the EDGE syllabus first came out, I read the introduction where it mentions that this replaces TDC for WB and NYLT staffs. I interpreted this to mean that it is in addition to TDC, but it seems that others interpret it to mean that TDC is now dead and has been replaced by EDGE.

              > How do you (or your Council, or word from National that you know about) interpret this?

              > Confused in KC,

              > Judy Yeager

            • Chad C. Cooper
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 27, 2009
                Different councils have taken different approaches. I believe that my
                Council (Northern Star) has pulled the plug on TDC and is only offering
                EDGE.

                YiS,

                - Chad
                Chief Black Dog, Northern Star Council
                Apple Valley, MN

                Sandra Martens wrote:

                > TDC is training required for the Pack Trainer's knot, and it the
                > training for CS and Den Chief trainers. EDGE is for WB and NYLT.
                >
                > both still exist.
                >
                > Sandy OWL
                >
                > --- On Sun, 7/26/09, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...
                > <mailto:kcjscout%40everestkc.net>> wrote:
                >
                > From: Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...
                > <mailto:kcjscout%40everestkc.net>>
                > Subject: [Scouter_T] Trainer's EDGE
                > To: "Scouter-T" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>>
                > Date: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 8:53 PM
                >

                > Trainers -
                >
                > I am confused about TDC and Trainer's EDGE. When the EDGE syllabus
                > first came out, I read the introduction where it mentions that this
                > replaces TDC for WB and NYLT staffs. I interpreted this to mean that
                > it is in addition to TDC, but it seems that others interpret it to
                > mean that TDC is now dead and has been replaced by EDGE.
                >
                > How do you (or your Council, or word from National that you know
                > about) interpret this?
                >
                > Confused in KC,
                >
                > Judy Yeager

              • Joe Woodwell
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 28, 2009
                  I have received the same message Ernie from Joe Glasscock at the
                  national council and have instructed our district training chairs and
                  all training staff to do likewise.

                  Joe Woodwell
                  Flower Mound, Texas

                  looney_lope wrote:

                  > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
                  > While I am not on the national group responsible for the writing /
                  > re-writing of the Trainer's EDGE and other train-the-trainer syllabi,
                  > I do know members of the team. I have exchanged emails with the team
                  > and they have encouraged me to use the Trainer's EDGE as a replacement
                  > to TDC until the material is re-written. I like the Trainer's EDGE and
                  > I will follow this advice even if it is not (yet) the official position.
                  >
                  > Ernie Coco
                  > Louisiana
                  >
                  > Trainers -
                  > >
                  > > I am confused about TDC and Trainer's EDGE. When the EDGE syllabus
                  > first came out, I read the introduction where it mentions that this
                  > replaces TDC for WB and NYLT staffs. I interpreted this to mean that
                  > it is in addition to TDC, but it seems that others interpret it to
                  > mean that TDC is now dead and has been replaced by EDGE.
                  > >
                  > > How do you (or your Council, or word from National that you know
                  > about) interpret this?
                  > >
                  > > Confused in KC,
                  > >
                  > > Judy Yeager

                • Judy Yeager
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 28, 2009
                    Ernie said, "While I am not on the national group responsible for the writing / re-writing of the Trainer's EDGE and other train-the-trainer syllabi, I do know members of the team. I have exchanged emails with the team and they have encouraged me to use the Trainer's EDGE as a replacement to TDC until the material is re-written. I like the Trainer's EDGE and I will follow this advice even if it is not (yet) the official position."

                    and Joe said, "I have received the same message Ernie from Joe Glasscock at the national council and have instructed our district training chairs and all training staff to do likewise."

                    It would appear from these messages that TDC is in the process of being re-written, but trainers are advised to use Trainer's EDGE in lieu of TDC until that happens. To me this is like saying, "We'll just teach Algebra II to everyone until Algebra I is rewritten." Where did I go wrong here?

                    Judy Yeager

                  • Sandra Martens
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 28, 2009
                      here, here.  I agree with you Judy.

                      Sandy OWL

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 29, 2009
                        I don't think you're going wrong anywhere Judy. By all means, if you
                        think TDC should continue to be taught, teach it. And more power to you
                        and to your staff. I personally like the TDC material although some is
                        admittedly 'long in the tooth'. You have the power and right to choose
                        how to approach things as a council. I'm not saying you have to follow
                        my way.

                        However, after multiple conversations with the national council, I
                        simply made a strategic decision to exclusively offer TE in my council.
                        That decision has been well received and people who would ordinarily
                        have gone to the TDC have had a great experience with TE. We have
                        actually added to our training ranks with it unlike with TDC. As long as
                        national tells me I'm in compliance and not violating policy, and
                        actually encourages my direction, I'm fine with teaching the Trainers
                        EDGE. However your council's needs may be different and if that means
                        doing both TDC and TE, you should do what is needed.

                        Joe Woodwell