Re: [Scouter_T] What is Scouting? ( NLE replacement? )

  • tttrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 2008
      My Council Training Advisor said that he talked with Joe Glasscock and was
      told that DVD's and CD's were a thing of the past as far as on-line training
      was concerned.

      Seems like national feel like they have all the answers and don't care what
      others think/prefer. It could not be a tremendous cost to produce DVD's and
      CD's and sell them to the councils.

      Tom Travis
      Trail Quail

      In a message dated 10/30/2008 9:14:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      Alpvalsys@... writes:

      In a message dated 10/30/2008 8:35:14 AM EDT, Elaine wrote:

      we could still do this as a live training...We do this for Youth Protection
      Training, Safe Swim Defense, etc. I don't see why we couldn't do it for this
      training (and the weather one too).
      I just renewed three (YP, SA & SSD) at my council's Institute of Scouting
      earlier this year. Sure, I could do it online, but I prefer the interaction
      of
      a group training session, both as a student AND as an instructor.

      I think we are doing too much online training.
      Amen to that. It's great if you like it and I'm glad it's available; I just
      won't do it that way.

      Ralph V. Balfoort, UC
      Member, district training staff
      I used to be a beaver (NE III-135)
      In the Beaver Patrol as a Scout
      And still Ktemaque (Beaver) Chapter,
      Kittan Lodge #364, OA
      ************************<WBR>**Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check
      5 Travel Deals!
      (_http://travel.http://travel.<Whttp://travelhttp://travel.<Whttp_
      (http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001) )

      **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
      5 Travel Deals!
      (http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

    • Geoffrey Mayer
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
        > Seems like national feel like they have all the answers and don't care what
        > others think/prefer. It could not be a tremendous cost to produce DVD's and
        > CD's and sell them to the councils.

        Seems like a big assumption to make. I think the Scout Law should encourage us to be more
        charitable in our thinking and statements (and I fail there often). If we don't like decisions that
        are made we can speak up, but don't assume that nobody listens. My own take is that a lot of people
        speak up and people at National listen and ultimately a decision is made. Somebody won't like the
        decision. That happens in all walks of life.

        I don't know what it takes to convert a web-based program to a DVD. I have had the privilege to be
        part of a number of music CDs and start to finish they take us anywhere from nine months to a year
        and a half. A lot of that is paperwork. I just think it's a big assumption to say it could not be
        a tremendous cost.

        Some individual may take the time to try and convert it. There's always room for initiative, and
        Scout leaders are loaded with that.

        God bless!

        Geoffrey Mayer
        New Bremen, Ohio
      • tttrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
          Amazing!!!!!!!!!! We existed forever on manuals. Then along came CD's and
          DVD's. Now producing Web based content is not as easy as also doing DVD's and
          CD's. What the heck, let the volunteers hassle with it!!!

          Not sure anyone on national level does a lot of research on what we in the
          field think/want.

          In a message dated 10/31/2008 2:34:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          geoffrey@... writes:

          > Seems like national feel like they have all the answers and don't care what
          > others think/prefer. It could not be a tremendous cost to produce DVD's and
          > CD's and sell them to the councils.

          Seems like a big assumption to make. I think the Scout Law should encourage
          us to be more
          charitable in our thinking and statements (and I fail there often). If we
          don't like decisions that
          are made we can speak up, but don't assume that nobody listens. My own take
          is that a lot of people
          speak up and people at National listen and ultimately a decision is made.
          Somebody won't like the
          decision. That happens in all walks of life.

          I don't know what it takes to convert a web-based program to a DVD. I have
          had the privilege to be
          part of a number of music CDs and start to finish they take us anywhere from
          nine months to a year
          and a half. A lot of that is paperwork. I just think it's a big assumption
          to say it could not be
          a tremendous cost.

          Some individual may take the time to try and convert it. There's always room
          for initiative, and
          Scout leaders are loaded with that.

          God bless!

          Geoffrey Mayer
          New Bremen, Ohio

          **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
          5 Travel Deals! (http://pr.atwo
          la.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?redir=http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

        • Jamie Niss Dunn
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
            >Not sure anyone on national level does a lot of research on what we in the
            >field think/want
            I think they've heard our learners, many of whom complain that training takes too much time and is too inconvenient? (and is often of variable quality).

            What they may not have taken into consideration is that not everyone is comfortable with the technologies they are using, or has access to them.

            Pack Trainer, Pack 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            3 Rivers District
            Scouting. Good for Life.

          • tttrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
              OK, shot my mouth off, probably should not have.

              I come from a background of folks who are not the best educated.

              Two of the Wood Badge courses I worked, someone had to write the ticket for
              two of the participants because they could not read or write. They could
              express themselves quite well, and were terrific unit leaders.

              Now I deal with folks who are not terrifically computer literate. Some of
              my trainers are great with flip charts and one on one, but are computer
              challenged. They might handle powerpoint, etc. but not comfortable on the web.

              Do we abandon these folks and tell them we do not need them as
              leaders/trainers?........ Or do we try to offer training in as many venues as possible to
              reach the maximum number of leaders and youth?

              I realize that in 10 to 20 years this will all be superfluous. In my
              experience in the here and now, web based training, with no alternative but
              volunteers downloading screen captures to present the training, is not a good thing
              for Scouting.

            • ed5870@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                I agree Jamie they are listening to leaders not the bulk of the trainers. As a group I think we all feel we can do it better, but they are looking at how they can get more people trained. I think it is a question of quantity over quality. Which is more important? More leaders trained or more leaders trained better?

                Ed Harvey
                Training Chair
                Dutchess District Hudson Valley Council
                Every Scout deserves a Trained Leader

                >Not sure anyone on national level does a lot of research on what we in the
                >field think/want
                I think they've heard our learners, many of whom complain that training takes too much time and is too inconvenient? (and is often of variable quality).

                What they may not have taken into consideration is that not everyone is comfortable with the technologies they are using, or has access to them.

                Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                3 Rivers District
                Scouting. Good for Life.

              • rdlongva
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 25, 2008
                  I talked to Joe Glasscock personally about this a week ago. He says
                  the new course is titled "This is Scouting". It is a series of seven
                  modules. Test subjects have taken 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours to complete
                  all 7 modules. You can take them all at once or over time. You have
                  to complete all 7 to receive credit for the course.

                  He said it would be on-line January 1st or very soon thereafter.

                  Dean Long
                  Battlefield District Cub Training Chairman
                  Heart of VA Council

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Marian McQuaid" <mcquaidfam@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Per Joe Glasscock, head of such stuff: It was going to roll out on
                  Nov 1.
                  > That has been pushed to Jan 1. I haven't heard the length, but
                  find 1 hr
                  > of online training a bit much. That part I would question.
                  >
                  > Marian McQuaid
                  > Dist. Commissioner
                  > Great Blue Hill District
                  > Boston Minuteman Council

                  On Behalf
                  > Of Ilively@...
                  > Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:49 PM
                  > To: .scouter_t
                  > Subject: [Scouter_T] What is Scouting? ( NLE replacement? )
                  >
                  > A friend asks:
                  >
                  > I have heard a rumor that New Leaders Essentials will soon (2009?)
                  be