What is Scouting? ( NLE replacement? )

  • Ilively@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 29, 2008
      A friend asks:

      I have heard a rumor that New Leaders Essentials will soon (2009?) be
      replaced with an hour long, online only new training called "What is
      Scouting?" Do you have any additional information on this or have a
      reference to an "official" source that can verify this information?

      Anyone out there have the skinny on this?

      Ida

    • Ronald Parks
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 29, 2008
        From the October Cubcast
        (http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/Cubcast/October2008.aspx), about 9
        minutes in:

        /And by now all new leaders should be trained in Fast Start, Youth
        Protection and Position-Specific details. New Leader Essentials is also
        part of the new leader training package. And we understand the national
        council is developing a brand new version of New Leader Essentials that
        will be called "This is Scouting." The goal is to have that new module
        ready online by the end of this year. If leaders aren't trained in one
        of more of these topics, see your pack trainer for information on
        training sessions. And if you don't have a pack trainer, talk to your
        district executive about a solution./

        Ronald Parks
        Cub Scout Leader Training Coordinator
        Keystone District
        Alamo Area Council

        Ilively@... wrote:

        > A friend asks:
        >
        > I have heard a rumor that New Leaders Essentials will soon (2009?) be
        > replaced with an hour long, online only new training called "What is
        > Scouting?" Do you have any additional information on this or have a
        > reference to an "official" source that can verify this information?
        >
        > Anyone out there have the skinny on this?
        >
        > Ida

      • Marian McQuaid
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 29, 2008
          Per Joe Glasscock, head of such stuff: It was going to roll out on Nov 1.
          That has been pushed to Jan 1. I haven't heard the length, but find 1 hr
          of online training a bit much. That part I would question.

          Marian McQuaid
          Dist. Commissioner
          Great Blue Hill District
          Boston Minuteman Council

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 30, 2008
            Any chance that BSA will come out with a syllabus so that we could still do
            this as a live training? Anyone hear anything? We do this for Youth
            Protection Training, Safe Swim Defense, etc. I don't see why we couldn't do
            it for this training (and the weather one too).

            I think we are doing too much online training.

            Yours in Scouting,

            ~Elaine Boyd
            Scouter in NH

          • Alpvalsys@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 30, 2008
              In a message dated 10/30/2008 8:35:14 AM EDT, Elaine wrote:

              we could still do this as a live training...We do this for Youth Protection
              Training, Safe Swim Defense, etc. I don't see why we couldn't do it for this
              training (and the weather one too).
              I just renewed three (YP, SA & SSD) at my council's Institute of Scouting
              earlier this year. Sure, I could do it online, but I prefer the interaction of
              a group training session, both as a student AND as an instructor.

              I think we are doing too much online training.
              Amen to that. It's great if you like it and I'm glad it's available; I just
              won't do it that way.

              Ralph V. Balfoort, UC
              Member, district training staff
              I used to be a beaver (NE III-135)
              In the Beaver Patrol as a Scout
              And still Ktemaque (Beaver) Chapter,
              Kittan Lodge #364, OA
              **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
              5 Travel Deals!
              (http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

            • tttrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 30, 2008
                My Council Training Advisor said that he talked with Joe Glasscock and was
                told that DVD's and CD's were a thing of the past as far as on-line training
                was concerned.

                Seems like national feel like they have all the answers and don't care what
                others think/prefer. It could not be a tremendous cost to produce DVD's and
                CD's and sell them to the councils.

                Tom Travis
                Trail Quail

                In a message dated 10/30/2008 9:14:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                Alpvalsys@... writes:

[...]

                ************************<WBR>**Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check
                5 Travel Deals!
                (_http://travel.http://travel.<Whttp://travelhttp://travel.<Whttp_
                (http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001) )

                **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                5 Travel Deals!
                (http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

              • Geoffrey Mayer
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
                  > Seems like national feel like they have all the answers and don't care what
                  > others think/prefer. It could not be a tremendous cost to produce DVD's and
                  > CD's and sell them to the councils.

                  Seems like a big assumption to make. I think the Scout Law should encourage us to be more
                  charitable in our thinking and statements (and I fail there often). If we don't like decisions that
                  are made we can speak up, but don't assume that nobody listens. My own take is that a lot of people
                  speak up and people at National listen and ultimately a decision is made. Somebody won't like the
                  decision. That happens in all walks of life.

                  I don't know what it takes to convert a web-based program to a DVD. I have had the privilege to be
                  part of a number of music CDs and start to finish they take us anywhere from nine months to a year
                  and a half. A lot of that is paperwork. I just think it's a big assumption to say it could not be
                  a tremendous cost.

                  Some individual may take the time to try and convert it. There's always room for initiative, and
                  Scout leaders are loaded with that.

                  God bless!

                  Geoffrey Mayer
                  New Bremen, Ohio
                • tttrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
                    Amazing!!!!!!!!!! We existed forever on manuals. Then along came CD's and
                    DVD's. Now producing Web based content is not as easy as also doing DVD's and
                    CD's. What the heck, let the volunteers hassle with it!!!

                    Not sure anyone on national level does a lot of research on what we in the
                    field think/want.

                    In a message dated 10/31/2008 2:34:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    geoffrey@... writes:

                    > Seems like national feel like they have all the answers and don't care what
                    > others think/prefer. It could not be a tremendous cost to produce DVD's and
                    > CD's and sell them to the councils.

                    Seems like a big assumption to make. I think the Scout Law should encourage
                    us to be more
                    charitable in our thinking and statements (and I fail there often). If we
                    don't like decisions that
                    are made we can speak up, but don't assume that nobody listens. My own take
                    is that a lot of people
                    speak up and people at National listen and ultimately a decision is made.
                    Somebody won't like the
                    decision. That happens in all walks of life.

                    I don't know what it takes to convert a web-based program to a DVD. I have
                    had the privilege to be
                    part of a number of music CDs and start to finish they take us anywhere from
                    nine months to a year
                    and a half. A lot of that is paperwork. I just think it's a big assumption
                    to say it could not be
                    a tremendous cost.

                    Some individual may take the time to try and convert it. There's always room
                    for initiative, and
                    Scout leaders are loaded with that.

                    God bless!

                    Geoffrey Mayer
                    New Bremen, Ohio

                    **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
                    5 Travel Deals! (http://pr.atwo
                    la.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?redir=http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

                  • Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
                      >Not sure anyone on national level does a lot of research on what we in the
                      >field think/want
                      I think they've heard our learners, many of whom complain that training takes too much time and is too inconvenient? (and is often of variable quality).

                      What they may not have taken into consideration is that not everyone is comfortable with the technologies they are using, or has access to them.

                      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                      3 Rivers District
                      Scouting. Good for Life.

                    • tttrack@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
                        OK, shot my mouth off, probably should not have.

                        I come from a background of folks who are not the best educated.

                        Two of the Wood Badge courses I worked, someone had to write the ticket for
                        two of the participants because they could not read or write. They could
                        express themselves quite well, and were terrific unit leaders.

                        Now I deal with folks who are not terrifically computer literate. Some of
                        my trainers are great with flip charts and one on one, but are computer
                        challenged. They might handle powerpoint, etc. but not comfortable on the web.

                        Do we abandon these folks and tell them we do not need them as
                        leaders/trainers?........ Or do we try to offer training in as many venues as possible to
                        reach the maximum number of leaders and youth?

                        I realize that in 10 to 20 years this will all be superfluous. In my
                        experience in the here and now, web based training, with no alternative but
                        volunteers downloading screen captures to present the training, is not a good thing
                        for Scouting.

                      • ed5870@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                          I agree Jamie they are listening to leaders not the bulk of the trainers. As a group I think we all feel we can do it better, but they are looking at how they can get more people trained. I think it is a question of quantity over quality. Which is more important? More leaders trained or more leaders trained better?

                          Ed Harvey
                          Training Chair
                          Dutchess District Hudson Valley Council
                          Every Scout deserves a Trained Leader

                          >Not sure anyone on national level does a lot of research on what we in the
                          >field think/want
                          I think they've heard our learners, many of whom complain that training takes too much time and is too inconvenient? (and is often of variable quality).

                          What they may not have taken into consideration is that not everyone is comfortable with the technologies they are using, or has access to them.

                          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                          3 Rivers District
                          Scouting. Good for Life.

                        • rdlongva
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 25, 2008
                            I talked to Joe Glasscock personally about this a week ago. He says
                            the new course is titled "This is Scouting". It is a series of seven
                            modules. Test subjects have taken 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours to complete
                            all 7 modules. You can take them all at once or over time. You have
                            to complete all 7 to receive credit for the course.

                            He said it would be on-line January 1st or very soon thereafter.

                            Dean Long
                            Battlefield District Cub Training Chairman
                            Heart of VA Council

                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Marian McQuaid" <mcquaidfam@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Per Joe Glasscock, head of such stuff: It was going to roll out on
                            Nov 1.
                            > That has been pushed to Jan 1. I haven't heard the length, but
                            find 1 hr
                            > of online training a bit much. That part I would question.
                            >
                            > Marian McQuaid
                            > Dist. Commissioner
                            > Great Blue Hill District
                            > Boston Minuteman Council