Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

CS Leader training

Expand Messages
  • nhdenleader
    I m re-reading the DL leader training for tomorrow and I have a question -- hoping someone is up to answer. (IMO, 9 is too late to call the district trainer)
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      I'm re-reading the DL leader training for tomorrow and I have a
      question -- hoping someone is up to answer. (IMO, 9 is too late to
      call the district trainer)

      On slide 97 - it says to put together a den meeting from the Program
      Helps.

      Is this an activity I set the leaders to doing? Give them X time to
      put it together from the resource? Or am I reading it wrong?


      Also - separate ?. What about the folks using the Fast Tracks? Do
      they even have to put together plans like this? I'm hearing Fast
      Tracks don't use the monthly themes. Is that right?


      --
      Yours in Scouting,

      Lisa Titus
      Cubmaster & Webelos Den Co-Leader
      Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
      Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
      I used to be a Bear ...
      NE-I-250
    • Ronald Parks
      Fast Tracks does not use the monthly themes. Our pack started using it this year. Some den leaders like it because all they have to do is print off the
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Fast Tracks does not use the monthly themes. Our pack started using it
        this year. Some den leaders like it because all they have to do is
        print off the program, get the materials, and lead the meetings. Others
        like to plan their own meetings. It depends on how much effort a leader
        wants to put into the program. Meetings that use the themes can be more
        effective than Fast Tracks; the advantage of Fast Tracks is that the
        leader saves time by not having to plan the meetings.

        I faced the same question when our district training team taught earlier
        this month. I came to the conclusion that teaching the leaders to plan
        their own den meetings gives them another option for the meetings. They
        aren't forced to rely on Fast Tracks. If they don't like what Fast
        Tracks has to offer in a particular month, they will have the tools and
        knowledge they need to plan the meetings themselves. So we spent about
        10 minutes planning a den meeting.

        On a related issue, we found that the Webelos Fast Tracks program
        jumbles up the activity badges so much that we couldn't implement it
        with our Webelos II's. Webelos dens that want to use Fast Tracks have
        to start using them as Webelos I's. You can't jump in mid-stream and
        still get your boys to the Arrow of Light. Fast Tracks also does not do
        all the activity badges, such as Showman. If you use Fast Tracks, you
        will not have any Webelos Super Achievers.

        Ron Parks
        Cub Scout Leader Training Coordinator
        Keystone District
        Alamo Area Council

        nhdenleader wrote:
        >
        >
        > I'm re-reading the DL leader training for tomorrow and I have a
        > question -- hoping someone is up to answer. (IMO, 9 is too late to
        > call the district trainer)
        >
        > On slide 97 - it says to put together a den meeting from the Program
        > Helps.
        >
        > Is this an activity I set the leaders to doing? Give them X time to
        > put it together from the resource? Or am I reading it wrong?
        >
        > Also - separate ?. What about the folks using the Fast Tracks? Do
        > they even have to put together plans like this? I'm hearing Fast
        > Tracks don't use the monthly themes. Is that right?
        >
        > --
        > Yours in Scouting,
        >
        > Lisa Titus
        > Cubmaster & Webelos Den Co-Leader
        > Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us <http://www.pack358.us>
        > Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
        > <http://www.nhscouting.org/>
        > I used to be a Bear ...
        > NE-I-250
        >
        >
      • Jamie Niss Dunn
        Lisa - sorry this is so late, but if you re doing this today (Sunday) I figure you re not starting til this afternoon. Yes - the idea is that you give them
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Lisa - sorry this is so late, but if you're doing this today (Sunday) I figure you're not starting til this afternoon.

          Yes - the idea is that you give them some program helps and the den meeting planning sheet, and that they plan a den meeting.

          Leaders using Fast Tracks still need information on supporting the pack program, and _may_ have to plan a meeting to supplement the Fast Tracks program, just as leaders who use Program Helps will plan a meeting which differs from the pre-planned materials. Fast Tracks does not use themes, but if the pack does, and the den needs to contribute to the pack meeting, there?may need to be?a?den?meeting or two which is theme based.


          YiS,
          Jamie Niss Dunn
          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          3 Rivers District
          Scouting. Good for Life.


          -----Original Message-----
          From: nhdenleader <nhdenleader@...>
          To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
          Sent: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 8:04 pm
          Subject: [Scouter_T] CS Leader training







          I'm re-reading the DL leader training for tomorrow and I have a
          question -- hoping someone is up to answer. (IMO, 9 is too late to
          call the district trainer)

          On slide 97 - it says to put together a den meeting from the Program
          Helps.

          Is this an activity I set the leaders to doing? Give them X time to
          put it together from the resource? Or am I reading it wrong?

          Also - separate ?. What about the folks using the Fast Tracks? Do
          they even have to put together plans like this? I'm hearing Fast
          Tracks don't use the monthly themes. Is that right?

          --
          Yours in Scouting,

          Lisa Titus
          Cubmaster & Webelos Den Co-Leader
          Pack 358 http://www.pack358.us
          Daniel Webster Council http://www.nhscouting.org/
          I used to be a Bear ...
          NE-I-250






          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Lisa
          Thanks to Jamie and Ron for answering. I guess my messages are moderated - so they were delayed getting to the list. Unfortunately the training was yesterday
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            Thanks to Jamie and Ron for answering. I guess my messages are
            moderated - so they were delayed getting to the list. Unfortunately the
            training was yesterday -- I made if through relatively unscathed. ;-)

            I think it's good to know about Fast Tracks. I know at least one
            leader attended whose pack was using the program. I'll be looking into
            it further so I have better answers next time. (thought you guys
            already provided a lot of the info!)




            Jamie Niss Dunn wrote:
            > Lisa - sorry this is so late, but if you're doing this today (Sunday) I figure you're not starting til this afternoon.
            >
            > Yes - the idea is that you give them some program helps and the den meeting planning sheet, and that they plan a den meeting.
            >
            > Leaders using Fast Tracks still need information on supporting the pack program, and _may_ have to plan a meeting to supplement the Fast Tracks program, just as leaders who use Program Helps will plan a meeting which differs from the pre-planned materials. Fast Tracks does not use themes, but if the pack does, and the den needs to contribute to the pack meeting, there?may need to be?a?den?meeting or two which is theme based.
            >
            >
            > YiS,
            > Jamie Niss Dunn
            > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
            > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            > 3 Rivers District
            > Scouting. Good for Life.
            >
            >
            > -----Original Message-----
            > From: nhdenleader <nhdenleader@...>
            > To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
            > Sent: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 8:04 pm
            > Subject: [Scouter_T] CS Leader training
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > I'm re-reading the DL leader training for tomorrow and I have a
            > question -- hoping someone is up to answer. (IMO, 9 is too late to
            > call the district trainer)
            >
            > On slide 97 - it says to put together a den meeting from the Program
            > Helps.
            >
            > Is this an activity I set the leaders to doing? Give them X time to
            > put it together from the resource? Or am I reading it wrong?
            >
            > Also - separate ?. What about the folks using the Fast Tracks? Do
            > they even have to put together plans like this? I'm hearing Fast
            > Tracks don't use the monthly themes. Is that right?
            >
            >


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Jamie Dunn
            ... the ... I took you off moderation. Our protocol is to wait until people post for awhile before unmoderating a member, but I must confess I don t keep up
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Lisa <nhdenleader@...> wrote:
              >
              >
              > Thanks to Jamie and Ron for answering. I guess my messages are
              > moderated - so they were delayed getting to the list. Unfortunately
              the
              > training was yesterday -- I made if through relatively unscathed. ;-)
              >

              I took you off moderation. Our protocol is to wait until people post
              for awhile before "unmoderating" a member, but I must confess I don't
              keep up with that well enough. If there are members who feel they'd
              like to be off moderation, please let us know.

              I was also training yesterday (teaching the basic course and NLE at our
              University of Scouting), and so wasn't at the computer to moderate your
              message.

              Jamie
            • Lisa
              That s OK ... I understand why being moderated. I posted it late on Friday night. And yes, my comment was a little hint that I d like to be taken off
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                That's OK ... I understand why being moderated. I posted it late on
                Friday night. And yes, my comment was a little hint that I'd like to
                be taken off moderation. :-) (I'm relatively harmless)



                Jamie Dunn wrote:
                > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Lisa <nhdenleader@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Thanks to Jamie and Ron for answering. I guess my messages are
                >> moderated - so they were delayed getting to the list. Unfortunately
                >>
                > the
                >
                >> training was yesterday -- I made if through relatively unscathed. ;-)
                >>
                >>
                >
                > I took you off moderation. Our protocol is to wait until people post
                > for awhile before "unmoderating" a member, but I must confess I don't
                > keep up with that well enough. If there are members who feel they'd
                > like to be off moderation, please let us know.
                >
                > I was also training yesterday (teaching the basic course and NLE at our
                > University of Scouting), and so wasn't at the computer to moderate your
                > message.
                >
                > Jamie
                >
                >
                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > For subscription and delevery options send a message to:
                > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.