Re: [Scouter_T] handouts

  • Jamie Niss Dunn
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
      we charge $15 for the CS basic except for Webelos who pay $20 because we include the Webelos Leader Guide (in place of the program helps)?
      __________

      We also include the CS Leader book or the Webelos leader guide in our fees. We charge $8.00 for? CS Position Specific and $2.00 for NLE - so a whole day (8:30-2:00) is $10.00. We provide lunch for $6.00. This year we are charging a $10.00 walk-in fee for those who don't pre register. We used to charge as much as 20 for this training, but the council subsidizes some of our costs now.

      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      3 Rivers District
      Scouting. Good for Life.

    • Chad C. Cooper
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
        Northern Star Council has had some strong support and we are able to
        give our attendees the Cub Scout Leader Book, G2SS and a council
        calendar/info booklet without charge. We do not include the Program
        Helps. Those districts in our area that charge for training are usually
        covering their costs for facilities, food and other misc supplies. My
        district has been able to get free facilities and we have been able to
        avoid charging a fee to our attendees.

        - Chad
        Chief Black Dog, Norther Star Council

      • tttrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
          In Old Hickory Council, we do not charge for CS, BS or Venturing position
          specific or NLE. They are asked to bring a bag lunch, and the council
          furnishes snacks and drinks. When we did charge, doubling the course cost did not
          make a difference in folks signing up ahead of time. They would rather pay
          the extra than sign up a week in advance.

          With no cost, no food, we don't have to worry about how many show up. Our
          facilities are free. No books are furnished but are sometimes offered for
          sale at the courses.

          Tom Travis
          OHC Training Chair

          Steven Powell wrote:

          > Sandy OWL,
          >
          > Is there a fee for this training? If so, what is the cost? (In other
          > words.who pays for the CS Leader's Guide, Program Helps, etc.) Thanks for
          > sharing.
          >
          > In Scouting Always,
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > From: _scouter_t@yahoogrouscoute_ (mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com)
          <mailto:scouter_mailto:scouter_mai>

        • Teresa Hall
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
            For those of you who charge fees and give books, is there a reduced fee if
            someone already has a current Cub Scout Leader Book and doesn't need
            another?

            Teresa

            On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM, <tttrack@...> wrote:

            > In Old Hickory Council, we do not charge for CS, BS or Venturing position
            > specific or NLE. They are asked to bring a bag lunch, and the council
            > furnishes snacks and drinks. When we did charge, doubling the course cost
            > did not
            > make a difference in folks signing up ahead of time. They would rather
            > pay
            > the extra than sign up a week in advance.
            >
            > With no cost, no food, we don't have to worry about how many show up. Our
            > facilities are free. No books are furnished but are sometimes offered for
            > sale at the courses.
            >
            > Tom Travis
            > OHC Training Chair
            >

            > In a message dated 10/1/2008 11:39:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > chadc@... writes:
            >

            > Northern Star Council has had some strong support and we are able to
            > give our attendees the Cub Scout Leader Book, G2SS and a council
            > calendar/info booklet without charge. We do not include the Program
            > Helps. Those districts in our area that charge for training are usually
            > covering their costs for facilities, food and other misc supplies. My
            > district has been able to get free facilities and we have been able to
            > avoid charging a fee to our attendees.
            >
            > - Chad
            > Chief Black Dog, Norther Star Council
            >
            > Steven Powell wrote:
            > >
            > > Sandy OWL,
            > >
            > > Is there a fee for this training? If so, what is the cost? (In other
            > > words.who pays for the CS Leader's Guide, Program Helps, etc.) Thanks
            > for
            > > sharing.
            > >
            > > In Scouting Always,
            > >
            > > Steve
            > >
            > > From: _scouter_t@yahoogrouscoute_ (mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com)
            > <mailto:scouter_mailto:scouter_mai>

          • Jamie Niss Dunn
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
              With no cost, no food, we don't have to worry about how many show up. Our
              facilities are free.

              ++++++++++++++++++
              Unfortunately, it is next to impossible in our district to find a facility which can accomodate 50-120 people which will not charge us. $75.00 is about the minimum we have to pay. If we tell them to bring lunch, they "forget". Then they expect to leave the building to eat. Some of our locations have no convenient fast food. Even when there is, they take more than the time allotted for lunch, and hold up the course re-starting. On site food makes them a captive audience. Our learners appreciate that we stick to the time schedule and get them out when we say we will.

              If they don't pre-register, how do you know how many handouts to make? and how do you pay for the handouts and training cards and patches? Right now if 40 people register, at least I know to make 80 copies :)

              Your comment about the penalty fee depresses me. It gets really frustrating to consistently not have enough materials or trainers or rooms, because people don't preregister. Some of our districts have online registration. We hope to add this soon, and hope that will improve the situations.

              Don't get me wrong, we're thrilled to train as many people as we do. In a typical year, 300 or more Cub Scout leaders attend one or another of our courses (and others go out of district for training).

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                No we tell them to give them to others in the pack. Someone can always benefit........

                connie

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Council pays for patches and handouts. We generally have enough to handle
                  almost any turnout. We do both council level and district level courses, with
                  attendance generally 30 to 35 at each course. There is a council training
                  box and one for each district that all materials, including handouts are in.
                  DE is responsible for the box, district training chair or council coordinator
                  for that training responsible to see that they are kept up to date.

                  If they did not bring anything to eat (am not aware of that being a big
                  problem) some go out (fast food is usually close) or snacks and drinks.

                  For over 20 years we tried everything in the world to get folks to sign up
                  ahead of time. Usual fee was $10.00 including lunch, late fee $20.00. Most
                  signed up within 3 days of the course. All I was doing was making a lot of
                  money for the council, and having no impact on signing up. I gave up. Without
                  food as a factor, I don't care how many show up, and with it being free,
                  hopefully it brings in leaders who might be unable to attend, otherwise.

                  Churches and some Community Colleges allow us to use their facilities for
                  free, as long as we clean up after ourselves. With no food, clean up is easy,
                  as we do not use their kitchens.

                  In a message dated 10/1/2008 1:33:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

                • Sandra Martens
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                    our council reduces the price if you already have the books- down to a minimum of $5 to cover patch, trained card, handouts, and kringle.  there is a coffee kitty to cover coffee and hot chocolate costs.

                    Sandy owL

                    On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM, <tttrack@aol. com> wrote:

                    > In Old Hickory Council, we do not charge for CS, BS or Venturing position
                    > specific or NLE. They are asked to bring a bag lunch, and the council
                    > furnishes snacks and drinks. When we did charge, doubling the course cost
                    > did not
                    > make a difference in folks signing up ahead of time. They would rather
                    > pay
                    > the extra than sign up a week in advance.
                    >
                    > With no cost, no food, we don't have to worry about how many show up. Our
                    > facilities are free. No books are furnished but are sometimes offered for
                    > sale at the courses.
                    >
                    > Tom Travis
                    > OHC Training Chair
                    >

                    > In a message dated 10/1/2008 11:39:10 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > chadc@charter. net writes:
                    >

                    > Northern Star Council has had some strong support and we are able to
                    > give our attendees the Cub Scout Leader Book, G2SS and a council
                    > calendar/info booklet without charge. We do not include the Program
                    > Helps. Those districts in our area that charge for training are usually
                    > covering their costs for facilities, food and other misc supplies. My
                    > district has been able to get free facilities and we have been able to
                    > avoid charging a fee to our attendees.
                    >
                    > - Chad
                    > Chief Black Dog, Norther Star Council
                    >
                    > Steven Powell wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Sandy OWL,
                    > >
                    > > Is there a fee for this training? If so, what is the cost? (In other
                    > > words.who pays for the CS Leader's Guide, Program Helps, etc.) Thanks
                    > for
                    > > sharing.
                    > >
                    > > In Scouting Always,
                    > >
                    > > Steve
                    > >
                    > > From: _scouter_t@yahoogro uscoute_ (mailto:scouter_t@yahoogrou ps.com)
                    > <mailto:scouter_ mailto:scouter_ mai>

                  • Russ Sinclair
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 2, 2008
                      Sandy,

                      You wouldn't happen to be my Night Owl SR-735 Owl would you????

                      Russ Sinclair

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 2, 2008
                        nope-  sorry.  i'm from C-CS-11

                        Sorry