Re: New CS Training

  • tomtribble
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 8, 2008
      Teresa:

      We (in Chester County Council, PA) just finished a "Pilot" training
      session this weekend with the new CLS syllabus and NLE. We were
      trying out the new syllabus for the first time to understand the re-
      training needs of our trainers, and to evaluate the amount of
      redundancy between CLS and NLE.

      Our team concluded that the new CLS syllabus is superior to the old
      one in many ways, and that -- the last job specific sessions, while
      taking more trainers at one time, is doable with trainers familiar
      with multiple jobs.

      With NLE, there is a little overlap, but our audience seemed to enjoy
      the more in-depth coverage in NLE after having been teased with
      minimal information in CLS. There did not seem to be any recognition
      nor resentment at covering some of the material twice.

      So, our results have led us to conclude that the new syllabus is a
      little harder to schedule with the right resources, but is a better
      training package. Also, we don't see any reason at all to change
      either CLS nor NLE, but to use the programs as designed.

      Tom Tribble, Chester Co. PA Training Committee
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Hall" <WarEagle78@...>
      wrote:

      > Has anyone else taught from the new syllabus yet?
      >
      > I did, this past weekend. I had a new pack committee that wanted
      every
      > training component necessary to be fully trained. They did their
      own online
      > bits, but we presented Introduction to Cub Scouting, How We Have
      Fun, Pack
      > Committee Training. then NLE. There were 10 participants and three
      > trainers.
      >
      > I would like discussion to start on New Leader Essentials. I found
      many
      > portions of it to be quite repetitive when offered immediately
      after the
      > rest. In fact, "How I Fit In" replicates not only content by
      title. Some
      > parts of NLE were still unique - ages and stages, plus the program
      continuum
      > for Scouting, for example. Most of the rest was pretty well covered
      in the
      > Cub portions.
      >
      > I'm a pretty "by the book" kind of gal, but I can't see giving a
      full
      > 90-minute NLE immediately after the Cub portions. (Or first, or in
      the
      > middle, or anywhere in the same day.) Just too repetitive. But to
      push it
      > off to another day will certainly mean some won't ever get it,
      lowering the
      > fully-trained percentages. Any thoughts?
      >
      > We'll be discussing this at our Council Training Committee a week
      from
      > tomorrow, but your opinions could be very helpful. I have my own
      idea, but
      > I'd rather hear from others first...
      >
      > Teresa Hall
      > Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
      > SR-889 Scoutmaster
      > Greater AL Council
      >

      > On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Brant Lippincott <brant@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I got most of my questions resolved, but still wondering if
      someone can
      > > send/post the PPT.... Still waiting on my book.
      > > Have a meeting tomorrow nite to discuss new training.
      > > Brant

      BSA form
      > > and has had stuff added and taken away for a long time. Check
      out the files
      > > section - I sent out an announcement...
      > > I think that the chart on page 8 shows that the intention is that
      the new
      > > "Intro" and "Fun" sections are to be taken ONCE - not every
      time. We would
      > > get KILLED if we made folks take them more than once.
      > > However, they seem to be enough different that I plan on having
      folks
      > > coming back for a second class sit through them the first time.
      > > Someone else was asking about the corrected PPT... I too would
      like to see
      > > it...
      > > I have the book supposed to be shipped when it comes available.
      I thought
      > > I'd hear that it was out before now... The Customer Service Rep
      I talked
      > > too was supposed to call me when it ships.
      > > I'd like some clarification on the cards & Scoutnet. Having been
      away from
      > > a pack and pack record-keeping for many years.... Are the
      courses supposed
      > > to have a standard title?? Or does the person entering it choose
      from a
      > > drop-down??
      > > YiS,
      > > Brant Lippincott
      > > Cub Training Chair
      > > Great Plains Diatrict

      > > Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/Yahoo! Groups
      Links

    • Alpvalsys@aol.com
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 9, 2008
        In a message dated 9/8/2008 3:54:45 PM EDT, Tom wrote:

        Our team concluded that the new CLS syllabus is superior to the old one

        -------------------
        This was just the opposite reaction of our district training staff. One
        thing that was noted was that NLE does not come before CLS; it's in the middle.
        Also noted was that it has been dumbed down and condensed to the point of being
        nearly useless for new leaders. Our District Commissioner's opinion is that
        we should continue with the old syllabus; it makes more sense. YMMV.

        Ralph V. Balfoort, UC
        I used to be a beaver (NE III-135)
        In the Beaver Patrol as a Scout
        And still Ktemaque (Beaver) Chapter,