Re: [Scouter_T] Baloo Letter

  • Kevin Pate
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2008
      I was asked to put together the first BALOO in my local council several years back, stepping up when the first choice, a vastly superior choice to lil' ol' moi, had to regrettably step aside from organizing the event.

      I was presented a small buffalo figurine with the course and date hand written on the base as a thank you for stepping in when my friend asked me to help out.

      It holds one of the most prestigious resting places amongst my herd, where I still see it every single morning unless I am away from home.

              Buffalo figurine:  3.98
              Perm. marker ink:   .03
              Respect of folks you deeply admire: Priceless

      Certificates of course are also nice.  I have a few, even know where most are being kept.  But that particular buffalo, well, in each of us there is something that melts us.  I was blessed that day with a friend who knew me well.

    • Staci Kilpatrick
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2008
        I like this site for some templates.
        http://dyetub.com/certificates/scouting/cub/

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2008
          This site has some great certificates to use.
          I use them all the time for everything

          http://www.dyetub.com/certificates/scouting/

          Joe Parajecki

          <http://insanescouter.org/> http://insanescouter.org

          Helping leaders one resource at a time....

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2008
            I have certificates up the wazoo after 19 years of doing this. What I value
            are the handwritten thank you notes which someone took the time and thought to
            send. Which is why I try periodically to do the same for those who serve on
            my training staffs.

            Pack Trainer, P. 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            3 Rivers District
            Scouting. Good For Life.

            In a message dated 9/5/2008 10:32:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
            bkenton@... writes:

            All,
            Does anyone have a nice Baloo letter, suitable for framing, that
            they've used in the past to give to their BALOO course co-ordinator?
            I'm looking for one and haven't had much luck.

            thanks,
            Bill

          • Sandra Martens
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2008
              instead of a letter, I always give my staff fun thank you's, like animals, dream catchers, etc and write the course dates on it (I base it on the theme of the campfire we have during the course and give it to them during the campfire).

              Sandy OWL

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2008
                I'm sorry if I'm late to this party, but IMO if the course staff mean that
                much to you, why go with a canned, off-the-shelf, someone else's idea
                certificate of appreciation. To me this is a meaningful as the
                everybody-gets-one participation medals and ribbons and "awards" that
                society is so fond of presenting that have no meaning or sincerity at all.

                If you really want to thank them, make it personal and make it from YOU.
                Just telling them "thanks for the help" is again IMO, better than a canned
                certificate.

                YIS

                Roy Fisher

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
                  I have to agree, sometimes those seemingly small and insignificant gifts are
                  those that mean the most. A simple thank you is often enough. I recently
                  finished as the Scoutmaster for a Wood Badge course and the most meaningful
                  thanks were the tears and the handshakes as the participants left the field
                  on the last day. My staff presented me with a mounted bobwhite that now
                  sits in a prominent spot in the curio cabinet along with my wife's beavers
                  and antelopes and my other bobwhites. It doesn't take much to say thanks,
                  but it needs to be said.

                  Randy Sessions

                  Council Trng Chair

                  Quivira Council