Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Digest Number 1854lNeil/Trish.Den Chief

  • Don Wilson
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
      Having never been a Cub Scout, Boy Scout or Explorer (Varsity and
      Venturing did not exist in the 1950's) and yet served as an active
      Scoutmaster, Unit Commissioner, trainer, District Training Chair,
      District Commissioner, and District Chairman over the past 20 years,
      I did it the same way you did. I was trained, often under the
      tutelage of Tom Travis, at every opportunity, having been a
      participate in every course available at the council level and have
      delivered training in almost every course. And a den chief that has
      not participated in the Cub Scouting and/or Boy Scouting programs,
      would also need to be trained in order to achieve the main goal of
      assisting the transition of a Scout through the ranks and retention
      in the Scouting program including troop, team and/or crew. Currrent
      material does not provide that training.

      Scouter Hammond is certainly correct. My materials are current. I
      understand what the requirements state. And if your training
      programs for den chief has included a complete understanding of Cub
      Scouting and Boy Scouting programs, then the applicant is certainly
      qualified. We do have to remember that there is a program that falls
      between Cub Scouting and Venturing. That program is Boy Scouting,
      and we are challenged to insure that youth are retained in that
      program.

      See, I knew that I was going to regret writing the post. No offense
      intended.

      YIS

      Don Wilson
      OHC 427

      > I was never a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, or Venturer and yet I have managed
      > to be an active leader, trainer, and UC, in the BSA for the last 13
      > years.
      >
      > I wonder how on earth I managed?
      >

      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > OK, it is true that both the Den Chief Training manual and the Den
      > > Chief Handbook quickly lists the "Purposes of Cub Scouting", but
      > > neither dedicated any time to insure that the purposes are
      > > understood. The den chief duties require "understanding of the Cub
      > > Scout program and the differences between Cub Scouting and Boy
      > > Scouting." The den chief "promotes Scouting in general and the local
      > > troop in particular."
      > >
      > > Perhaps I am making things too simple, however, I doubt that a youth
      > > that has never been a Cub Scout or a Boy Scout would be able to
      > > fulfill those requirements.
    • Teresa Hall
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
        I'm just amazed that some areas have such a wealth to choose from. There may
        be a "perfect" profile for a den chief, but around here it's either take the
        one who has an interest and can make the schedule work, or do without.

        Teresa Hall
        Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
        Greater AL Council

        On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:59 PM, nuts4scouts <nuts4scouts@...> wrote:

        > I was never a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, or Venturer and yet I have managed
        > to be an active leader, trainer, and UC, in the BSA for the last 13
        > years.
        >
        > I wonder how on earth I managed?
        >

        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > OK, it is true that both the Den Chief Training manual and the Den
        > > Chief Handbook quickly lists the "Purposes of Cub Scouting", but
        > > neither dedicated any time to insure that the purposes are
        > > understood. The den chief duties require "understanding of the Cub
        > > Scout program and the differences between Cub Scouting and Boy
        > > Scouting." The den chief "promotes Scouting in general and the local
        > > troop in particular."
        > >
        > > Perhaps I am making things too simple, however, I doubt that a youth
        > > that has never been a Cub Scout or a Boy Scout would be able to
        > > fulfill those requirements.

      • Olan Watkins
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
          Don

          Back in the dark ages when I was a Webelos leader and had a Den Chief from
          a Troop the idea was that the Den Chief would try to get the Webelos to
          move into the Troop as a group and the Den Chief would be their Patrol
          Leader for their first six months to a year.

          In general, the Den Chief position was a young Scout and their first
          leadership position and only a year or two years older than the Webelos.

          Today, if I were a Webelos Leader and had a young lady Venturing member as
          a Den Chief, I guess that I would require that she attend a Den Chief
          training and perhaps even at least the fast start training for Scouts and
          Cubs so that she would understand the Cub and Boy Scout programs.

          Since the young lady would not be a member of a Troop, she could not push
          for moving into any one Troop, but perhaps that might be a good thing.

          I could see it being a possible problem for over night den campouts,
          Webelos Summer Camps, perhaps even for all day den trips to zoos or other
          places for visits.

          Perhaps some one with experience with having a Venturing Den Chief will
          speak up and let us know how it is working out.

          Olan Watkins
        • maria@inkspot.net
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
            I think I feel the same way, about female den chiefs as I do female
            Scout Masters. Beggers can't be choosers.

            If you live in an area with enough boys and men to do the job -
            great. But if you don't and a woman or a girl will step up to help
            make the program, as long as they are following the program, I don't
            have a problem with it.

            M Hurley

            > I'm just amazed that some areas have such a wealth to choose from. There may
            > be a "perfect" profile for a den chief, but around here it's either take the
            > one who has an interest and can make the schedule work, or do without.
            >
            > Teresa Hall
          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
              What problems would there be that we wouldn't have with a female den leader?

              Olan Watkins wrote:
              > I could see it being a possible problem for over night den campouts,
              > Webelos Summer Camps, perhaps even for all day den trips to zoos or other
              > places for visits.

            • Olan Watkins
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                As someone said, in general Den Chiefs are not in super supply, so you
                pretty much have to take what you can get. Being a Den Chief is not the
                most popular leadership job in a Troop and not too many kids will take the
                job.

                A good Den Chief can be worth their weight in gold, or they can just be
                another kid in the den for the leader to look after.

                I have been on both sides of the fence, as a Webelos Den Leader with a Den
                Chief and as a Scout Master trying to get kids to take on the job of Den
                Chief.

                Having a Den Chief with a Webelos Den can be the most effective recruiting
                method that a Troop can have, so it is to the Troops advantage to supply as
                good a Scout as is possible to have.

                When I was a Webelos leader, I had a very good Den Chief that set a very
                good example of how Scouts should act and was a good role model. He acted
                pretty much the same as a Patrol Leader. We did quite a bit of camping and
                activities and he did a good job of teaching them how to cook, pitch tents,
                and so on such that when we moved into the Troop they were able to hit the
                ground running as Boy Scouts.

                I guess it would be possible to have a Den Chief with Bear and Wolf Dens,
                but I don't think I have ever know of one.

                As some one said with a female den leader, having a female Venturing Den
                Chief should not be a problem for over night campouts.

                Olan Watkins
              • Kevin Pate
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                  > What problems would there be that we wouldn't have with a female
                  > den leader?

                  Rightly or wrongly, our society and our organization are fine with two or three moms taking some Webelos and a male den chief to the woods, but the fine vanishes rapidly when it is two or three dads taking some Webelos and a female Venturer to the woods.
                • maria@inkspot.net
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                    My understanding is that if there is a female Venturer, than there
                    has to be a female leader, if overnights are involved. I maybe wrong,
                    but I believe that's why our council is doing such a push to get
                    woman involved in Venturing.

                    I know groups have had to nearly cancel trips until they got a
                    trained woman to join them.

                    M Hurley
                  • NeilLup@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                      In a message dated 8/15/08 12:55:47 PM, kevinpate@... writes:

                      > Rightly or wrongly, our society and our organization are fine with two or
                      > three moms taking some Webelos and a male den chief to the woods, but the fine
                      > vanishes rapidly when it is two or three dads taking some Webelos and a
                      > female Venturer to the woods

                      I believe that, per G2SS, if there is a female Venturer as a Den Chief,
                      there would need to be both male and female adult leadership for the event.
                      I would suggest that a female Venturer and male Cub Scouts would make it a
                      "coed" event.

                      That's not a "problem" it's complying with the guidelines.

                      And I have heard it asked whether is becomes a coed event if there are female
                      adults on a Boy Scout or Cub Scout outing meaning that there would need to be
                      a male adult present too. Not discussing whether it's a good idea or not
                      (it is) but whether it is required by G2SS.

                      Best wishes,

                      Neil Lupton

                    • Ben
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                        This is a topic that recently came up for the various units I'm
                        involved with.

                        I'm a Cubmaster for a small pack that usually feeds into a pretty
                        large troop nearby. We utilized a den chief for the first time last
                        year with our Webelos I den. It worked out extremely well.

                        This year, I put in a request to the troop for den chiefs for our
                        Webelos II, Webelos I and Bear dens. All of the boys from the troop
                        will have to be interviewed by the Cub committee before they assume
                        their positions.

                        I also submitted a request to our local crew for Den chiefs for our
                        Wolf and Tiger dens asnd got two female Crew members who
                        volunteered.
                        They will go through the same process as the boys from the troop.

                        Now, in my mind, that's great because I have older scouts who will
                        be able to help out the junior den leaders corral those rowdy Tigers
                        and Wolves. And I've got Boy scouts from the troop who will provide
                        that role model and bridge for the boys who are getting ready to
                        transition over to the Troops. Plus, having Venturing females in
                        uniform at Pack and district events gives the added bonus of
                        promoting Venturing throughout the community.

                        Bottom line is having female youth in leadership positions is a win-
                        win.

                        Starting next month, I'll have den chiefs for each of my dens as
                        well as a "Pack" den chief. "Wait? A what?" you might say.

                        Due to the largeness of our local troop, they have few opportunities
                        for leadership positions for the youth other than the usual. After
                        working with the local scoutmaster, (and a comment during a training
                        session at summer camp) we implemented the idea of having
                        an expierenced den chief serve as a "Pack" chief. Basically, He's
                        the "head" den chief. He'll help out at Pack meetings, fill in for
                        den chiefs when the assigned ones can't make a meeting due to
                        unforseen circumstance or schedule conflicts, he'll also offer
                        advice and leadership to the first year den chiefs as well as
                        checking to make sure they are fulfilling the requirements of the
                        position.

                        Myself and the scoutmaster think it will work out pretty well.
                        Either way, with the Pack chief and the female den chiefs, it'll be
                        a fun year!

                        YiS&V
                        Ben K.

                        Cubmaster - Pack 578
                        MB Counselor - Troop 1717
                        Advisor - Crew 1717
                        I used to be an Antelope....
                      • Lady T
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                          Wow!  I'm AWESTRUCK!
                          Wish we could get this much participation/involvement in our area!
                          Trish

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 16, 2008
                            In a message dated 8/15/2008 10:59:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            maria@... writes:

                            If you live in an area with enough boys and men to do the job -
                            great. But if you don't and a woman or a girl will step up to help
                            make the program, as long as they are following the program, I don't
                            have a problem with it.

                            I have known many great female leaders. I think female or male it doesn't
                            matter as long as the leader is trained and follows the program. No begging
                            about it.

                            Ed Harvey
                            Training Chair Dutchess District
                            Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                            THE HEART OF SCOUTING IS TRAINING
                            Hudson Valley Council
                            I used to be an Antelope

                            Read reviews on AOL Autos.