Re: [Scouter_T] Den Chief Qualifications

  • tttrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2008
      OK, I have put up with Don Wilson for 20 years.

      #1. The end purpose of the Den Chief is to encourage Cubs to make the
      transition to Boy Scouts. Yes, he has lots of "duties" , but in the end, that is
      the true reason for having Den Chiefs.

      #2. Can a Venturing, Scouting, Varsity Scout do
      this..................certainly!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is MUCH easier if they are connected with a Troop and
      can be a familiar face when the former Cub shows up to the first Troop meeting.

      We all have the ability to SELECT our Den Chiefs. If they cannot fulfil the
      purpose of the position, whether they are male or female, Scout/Venturer or
      whatever, why would you use them?

      What ever National says/regulates, we all are possessed with what God gave
      us, free will. Make a decision based on what is good and works for the boy.

      Tom Travis
      Trail Quail

      In a message dated 8/14/2008 4:32:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      danhammondsr@... writes:

      AAARRRRGGHHHH!
      This thread is wearing me down. Go to the National website and read the
      words:
      "Cub Scout Den Chief - Qualifications: Is an older Boy Scout, Varsity Scout,
      or Venturer. Selected by the senior patrol leader and Scoutmaster, Varsity
      Scout Coach, or Venturing Advisor at the request of the Cubmaster. Approved by
      the Cubmaster and pack committee for recommendation to the den leader.
      Registered as a youth member of a troop, team, or crew."
      There is NO requirement listed there for a den chief to have been a Boy
      Scout! That requirement has been gone for at least two years. We've been
      assigning and training young ladies to be den chiefs for several years.
      If you have some outdated publication in your possession that states
      otherwise, you should shred it so you don't get confused and put out invalid
      information during your training sessions.
      Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
      Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
      Kaw District Training Chairman, NRA Life Member
      CM P3001, SM T366
      |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
      I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
      And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06)

      Overprotectiveness is a danger in itself. Children who are treated as though
      they can't do anything by themselves eventually can't.

      Read reviews on AOL Autos.