Den Chief Qualifications

  • Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2008
      AAARRRRGGHHHH!
      This thread is wearing me down.  Go to the National website and read the words:
      "Cub Scout Den Chief - Qualifications: Is an older Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or Venturer. Selected by the senior patrol leader and Scoutmaster, Varsity Scout Coach, or Venturing Advisor at the request of the Cubmaster. Approved by the Cubmaster and pack committee for recommendation to the den leader. Registered as a youth member of a troop, team, or crew."
      There is NO requirement listed there for a den chief to have been a Boy Scout!  That requirement has been gone for at least two years.  We've been assigning and training young ladies to be den chiefs for several years.
      If you have some outdated publication in your possession that states otherwise, you should shred it so you don't get confused and put out invalid information during your training sessions.
       Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
      Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
      Kaw District Training Chairman, NRA Life Member
      CM P3001, SM T366
      |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
      I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
      And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06)

      Overprotectiveness is a danger in itself. Children who are treated as though they can't do anything by themselves eventually can't.
    • tttrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2008
        OK, I have put up with Don Wilson for 20 years.

        #1. The end purpose of the Den Chief is to encourage Cubs to make the
        transition to Boy Scouts. Yes, he has lots of "duties" , but in the end, that is
        the true reason for having Den Chiefs.

        #2. Can a Venturing, Scouting, Varsity Scout do
        this..................certainly!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is MUCH easier if they are connected with a Troop and
        can be a familiar face when the former Cub shows up to the first Troop meeting.

        We all have the ability to SELECT our Den Chiefs. If they cannot fulfil the
        purpose of the position, whether they are male or female, Scout/Venturer or
        whatever, why would you use them?

        What ever National says/regulates, we all are possessed with what God gave
        us, free will. Make a decision based on what is good and works for the boy.

        Tom Travis
        Trail Quail

        In a message dated 8/14/2008 4:32:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        danhammondsr@... writes:

        AAARRRRGGHHHH!
        This thread is wearing me down. Go to the National website and read the
        words:
        "Cub Scout Den Chief - Qualifications: Is an older Boy Scout, Varsity Scout,
        or Venturer. Selected by the senior patrol leader and Scoutmaster, Varsity
        Scout Coach, or Venturing Advisor at the request of the Cubmaster. Approved by
        the Cubmaster and pack committee for recommendation to the den leader.
        Registered as a youth member of a troop, team, or crew."
        There is NO requirement listed there for a den chief to have been a Boy
        Scout! That requirement has been gone for at least two years. We've been
        assigning and training young ladies to be den chiefs for several years.
        If you have some outdated publication in your possession that states
        otherwise, you should shred it so you don't get confused and put out invalid
        information during your training sessions.
        Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
        Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
        Kaw District Training Chairman, NRA Life Member
        CM P3001, SM T366
        |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
        I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
        And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06)

        Overprotectiveness is a danger in itself. Children who are treated as though
        they can't do anything by themselves eventually can't.

        Read reviews on AOL Autos.