Re: Digest Number 1854

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 13, 2008
      Trish said:
      > So, if they have indeed removed the words "who has been a boy scout,"
      am I safe in assuming that a male Venturer who has never had anything
      to do with scouting prior to Venturing is now able to be a den chief?

      This current thread seems to be too stuck on a few words and losing
      sight of the bigger picture. If a female Venturer is capable and
      willing by all means she can be a Den Chief. Who cares that she wasn't
      a Boy Scout. Who's checking? Who's going to tell you that you are
      doing it wrong? Teaching Others is one of the methods of Venturing and
      why do we want to stop that? Females can be Den Leaders despite having
      never been Boy Scouts, so why not a Den Chief. Let's not put silly
      barriers up that would prevent good from being done. I'd say the same
      for a male Venturer who hasn't been a Boy Scout too. IF (big if) you
      can find a Venturer who is interested, then why not use them?

      Ryan
      Ore-Ida Council
    • whymel@cox.net
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 13, 2008
        Well said Ryan!

        Wally
        SE Louisiana Council
        ---- Ryan <rd_lancaster@...> wrote:
        > Trish said:
        > > So, if they have indeed removed the words "who has been a boy scout,"
        > am I safe in assuming that a male Venturer who has never had anything
        > to do with scouting prior to Venturing is now able to be a den chief?
        >
        > This current thread seems to be too stuck on a few words and losing
        > sight of the bigger picture. If a female Venturer is capable and
        > willing by all means she can be a Den Chief. Who cares that she wasn't
        > a Boy Scout. Who's checking? Who's going to tell you that you are
        > doing it wrong? Teaching Others is one of the methods of Venturing and
        > why do we want to stop that? Females can be Den Leaders despite having
        > never been Boy Scouts, so why not a Den Chief. Let's not put silly
        > barriers up that would prevent good from being done. I'd say the same
        > for a male Venturer who hasn't been a Boy Scout too. IF (big if) you
        > can find a Venturer who is interested, then why not use them?
        >
        > Ryan
        > Ore-Ida Council

      • Kathie Heidenfelder
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 13, 2008
          Hi,

          I'm not sure why not............Explorer scouts always were eligible
          even if they had never been a Boy Scout.

          Kathie

          --
          Kathie Heidenfelder
          EECS Office of Graduate Studies
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
            Tnak you Jamie I was mis-led I see that the requirement that the Den Leader
            was a Boy Scout has been removed and I think that was a great idea.

            In a message dated 8/12/2008 3:37:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            JNDunnMN@... writes:

            "den aide" as an official position in a Cub Scout pack has been gone for
            many (10?) years. It disappeared from the Cub Scout leader book several
            editions
            ago. The requirement that a Venturer have been a Boy Scout in order to be a
            Den Chief was eliminated 2-3 years ago. Female Venturers *can* be den Chiefs.

            Pack Trainer, P. 512
            Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            3 Rivers District
            Scouting. Good for Life.

            In a message dated 8/12/2008 2:25:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
            _ed5870@..._ (mailto:ed5870@...) writes:

            >but a girl can be a Den Aide.

            ************************<WBR>**Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits
            Read reviews on AOL Autos.
            (_http://autos.http://autos.http://autos.http://autos.http://autos.<WBhttp://a
            u_
            (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017) )

            Read reviews on AOL Autos.

          • Don Wilson
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
              Have you ever been in a situation where you have to do something
              knowing full well that you will live to regret it? For me, this Den
              Chief thing has been like the last piece of stake in a good meal.
              You pop that last bite into your mouth and begin savoring the rich
              steak flavor. However, laced through that bite was a piece of
              gristle. You know, the kind that grows with every chew until you
              think it fills your mouth. And what can you do? Can't talk around
              that now hugh piece of gristle, bad manners to spit it out on your
              plate, can't turn your head and spit it on the ground as we would if
              camping. Best option will be to use your napkin and slip that
              gristle into the napkin while daintily removing the excess juices
              from your face. That is where I am.

              I have reviewed the current Den Chief Handbook (3321B, 2005 printing)
              well, that is the current version at our Scout Shop), and the current
              Den Chief Training manual (34450C which I was given as the most
              current version) and must take a small exception concerning
              qualifications needed by a Den Chief.

              The Den Chief Handbook states that: "As a den chief, you are
              responsible for the following: (Pages 7 & 8)

              Knowing the purposes of Cub Scouting

              Helping boys achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting

              Being the activities assistant in den meetings

              Setting a good example through attitude and uniforming

              Taking part in weekly den meetings

              Assisting the den in its part of the monthly pack meeting program

              Being a friend to the boys in the den

              Meeting as needed with adult leaders"

              Seems rather straight forward, right?

              The Den Chief Training manual expands that list a bit on Page 1.
              " The den chief:
              1) Holds a leadership position in the troop, team, or crew......

              2) Is a model for the boys in the den as well as the entire pack

              3) Promptes Scouting in general and the local troop in particular

              4) Facilitates the transition of Webelos Scouts into Boy Scouting

              "In addition, a trained den chief:
              1)Is capable of effectively assisting the den leader with planning
              and conduction den meetings

              2) Understands the Cub Scouting program and the differences between
              Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting

              3) will be comfortable with the den leader's duties and confident in
              carrying them out

              4) Is familiar with resources for age-appropriate activities for Cub
              Scouts

              5) Has a repertoire of activities that Cub Scouts enjoy"

              OK, it is true that both the Den Chief Training manual and the Den
              Chief Handbook quickly lists the "Purposes of Cub Scouting", but
              neither dedicated any time to insure that the purposes are
              understood. The den chief duties require "understanding of the Cub
              Scout program and the differences between Cub Scouting and Boy
              Scouting." The den chief "promotes Scouting in general and the local
              troop in particular."

              Perhaps I am making things too simple, however, I doubt that a youth
              that has never been a Cub Scout or a Boy Scout would be able to
              fulfill those requirements.

              One of my goals as a Scoutmaster was to have a den chief working with
              Webelos Scouts (if I had only one den chief) to encourage them to
              transition into Boy Scouting, where the den chief would be present so
              that the new Boy Scout did not feel as if he were in a room of
              strange big boys. I am 100% certain that having a Boy Scout with
              whom the new Scouts already know and has formed a friendship will
              insure that retention is not a problem in the troop.

              So, if a 14 year old, regardless of gender, joins a team or crew
              without having the experience of Cub Scouting or Boy Scouting, how
              would they be able to fulfill the requirements of a den chief?

              OK, I spit the ball of gristle into my napkin. Please take no
              offense as none was intended. However, please have great sympathy
              with the council training chairman that has had to put up with me for
              almost 20 years.

              Don Wilson
              OHC 420

              So, if they have indeed removed the words "who has been a boy scout," am I safe in assuming that a male Venturer who has never had anything to do with scouting prior to Venturing is now able to be a den chief?
              Trish

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
                I was never a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, or Venturer and yet I have managed
                to be an active leader, trainer, and UC, in the BSA for the last 13
                years.

                I wonder how on earth I managed?

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
                  Having never been a Cub Scout, Boy Scout or Explorer (Varsity and
                  Venturing did not exist in the 1950's) and yet served as an active
                  Scoutmaster, Unit Commissioner, trainer, District Training Chair,
                  District Commissioner, and District Chairman over the past 20 years,
                  I did it the same way you did. I was trained, often under the
                  tutelage of Tom Travis, at every opportunity, having been a
                  participate in every course available at the council level and have
                  delivered training in almost every course. And a den chief that has
                  not participated in the Cub Scouting and/or Boy Scouting programs,
                  would also need to be trained in order to achieve the main goal of
                  assisting the transition of a Scout through the ranks and retention
                  in the Scouting program including troop, team and/or crew. Currrent
                  material does not provide that training.

                  Scouter Hammond is certainly correct. My materials are current. I
                  understand what the requirements state. And if your training
                  programs for den chief has included a complete understanding of Cub
                  Scouting and Boy Scouting programs, then the applicant is certainly
                  qualified. We do have to remember that there is a program that falls
                  between Cub Scouting and Venturing. That program is Boy Scouting,
                  and we are challenged to insure that youth are retained in that
                  program.

                  See, I knew that I was going to regret writing the post. No offense
                  intended.

                  YIS

                  Don Wilson
                  OHC 427

                  > I was never a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, or Venturer and yet I have managed
                  > to be an active leader, trainer, and UC, in the BSA for the last 13
                  > years.
                  >
                  > I wonder how on earth I managed?
                  >

                  > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > OK, it is true that both the Den Chief Training manual and the Den
                  > > Chief Handbook quickly lists the "Purposes of Cub Scouting", but
                  > > neither dedicated any time to insure that the purposes are
                  > > understood. The den chief duties require "understanding of the Cub
                  > > Scout program and the differences between Cub Scouting and Boy
                  > > Scouting." The den chief "promotes Scouting in general and the local
                  > > troop in particular."
                  > >
                  > > Perhaps I am making things too simple, however, I doubt that a youth
                  > > that has never been a Cub Scout or a Boy Scout would be able to
                  > > fulfill those requirements.
                • Teresa Hall
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
                    I'm just amazed that some areas have such a wealth to choose from. There may
                    be a "perfect" profile for a den chief, but around here it's either take the
                    one who has an interest and can make the schedule work, or do without.

                    Teresa Hall
                    Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
                    Greater AL Council

                    On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:59 PM, nuts4scouts <nuts4scouts@...> wrote:

                    > I was never a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, or Venturer and yet I have managed
                    > to be an active leader, trainer, and UC, in the BSA for the last 13
                    > years.
                    >
                    > I wonder how on earth I managed?
                    >

                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > OK, it is true that both the Den Chief Training manual and the Den
                    > > Chief Handbook quickly lists the "Purposes of Cub Scouting", but
                    > > neither dedicated any time to insure that the purposes are
                    > > understood. The den chief duties require "understanding of the Cub
                    > > Scout program and the differences between Cub Scouting and Boy
                    > > Scouting." The den chief "promotes Scouting in general and the local
                    > > troop in particular."
                    > >
                    > > Perhaps I am making things too simple, however, I doubt that a youth
                    > > that has never been a Cub Scout or a Boy Scout would be able to
                    > > fulfill those requirements.

                  • Olan Watkins
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
                      Don

                      Back in the dark ages when I was a Webelos leader and had a Den Chief from
                      a Troop the idea was that the Den Chief would try to get the Webelos to
                      move into the Troop as a group and the Den Chief would be their Patrol
                      Leader for their first six months to a year.

                      In general, the Den Chief position was a young Scout and their first
                      leadership position and only a year or two years older than the Webelos.

                      Today, if I were a Webelos Leader and had a young lady Venturing member as
                      a Den Chief, I guess that I would require that she attend a Den Chief
                      training and perhaps even at least the fast start training for Scouts and
                      Cubs so that she would understand the Cub and Boy Scout programs.

                      Since the young lady would not be a member of a Troop, she could not push
                      for moving into any one Troop, but perhaps that might be a good thing.

                      I could see it being a possible problem for over night den campouts,
                      Webelos Summer Camps, perhaps even for all day den trips to zoos or other
                      places for visits.

                      Perhaps some one with experience with having a Venturing Den Chief will
                      speak up and let us know how it is working out.

                      Olan Watkins
                    • maria@inkspot.net
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
                        I think I feel the same way, about female den chiefs as I do female
                        Scout Masters. Beggers can't be choosers.

                        If you live in an area with enough boys and men to do the job -
                        great. But if you don't and a woman or a girl will step up to help
                        make the program, as long as they are following the program, I don't
                        have a problem with it.

                        M Hurley

                        > I'm just amazed that some areas have such a wealth to choose from. There may
                        > be a "perfect" profile for a den chief, but around here it's either take the
                        > one who has an interest and can make the schedule work, or do without.
                        >
                        > Teresa Hall
                      • Lisa
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 14, 2008
                          What problems would there be that we wouldn't have with a female den leader?

                          Olan Watkins wrote:
                          > I could see it being a possible problem for over night den campouts,
                          > Webelos Summer Camps, perhaps even for all day den trips to zoos or other
                          > places for visits.

                        • Olan Watkins
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                            As someone said, in general Den Chiefs are not in super supply, so you
                            pretty much have to take what you can get. Being a Den Chief is not the
                            most popular leadership job in a Troop and not too many kids will take the
                            job.

                            A good Den Chief can be worth their weight in gold, or they can just be
                            another kid in the den for the leader to look after.

                            I have been on both sides of the fence, as a Webelos Den Leader with a Den
                            Chief and as a Scout Master trying to get kids to take on the job of Den
                            Chief.

                            Having a Den Chief with a Webelos Den can be the most effective recruiting
                            method that a Troop can have, so it is to the Troops advantage to supply as
                            good a Scout as is possible to have.

                            When I was a Webelos leader, I had a very good Den Chief that set a very
                            good example of how Scouts should act and was a good role model. He acted
                            pretty much the same as a Patrol Leader. We did quite a bit of camping and
                            activities and he did a good job of teaching them how to cook, pitch tents,
                            and so on such that when we moved into the Troop they were able to hit the
                            ground running as Boy Scouts.

                            I guess it would be possible to have a Den Chief with Bear and Wolf Dens,
                            but I don't think I have ever know of one.

                            As some one said with a female den leader, having a female Venturing Den
                            Chief should not be a problem for over night campouts.

                            Olan Watkins
                          • Kevin Pate
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                              > What problems would there be that we wouldn't have with a female
                              > den leader?

                              Rightly or wrongly, our society and our organization are fine with two or three moms taking some Webelos and a male den chief to the woods, but the fine vanishes rapidly when it is two or three dads taking some Webelos and a female Venturer to the woods.
                            • maria@inkspot.net
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                                My understanding is that if there is a female Venturer, than there
                                has to be a female leader, if overnights are involved. I maybe wrong,
                                but I believe that's why our council is doing such a push to get
                                woman involved in Venturing.

                                I know groups have had to nearly cancel trips until they got a
                                trained woman to join them.

                                M Hurley
                              • NeilLup@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                                  In a message dated 8/15/08 12:55:47 PM, kevinpate@... writes:

                                  > Rightly or wrongly, our society and our organization are fine with two or
                                  > three moms taking some Webelos and a male den chief to the woods, but the fine
                                  > vanishes rapidly when it is two or three dads taking some Webelos and a
                                  > female Venturer to the woods

                                  I believe that, per G2SS, if there is a female Venturer as a Den Chief,
                                  there would need to be both male and female adult leadership for the event.
                                  I would suggest that a female Venturer and male Cub Scouts would make it a
                                  "coed" event.

                                  That's not a "problem" it's complying with the guidelines.

                                  And I have heard it asked whether is becomes a coed event if there are female
                                  adults on a Boy Scout or Cub Scout outing meaning that there would need to be
                                  a male adult present too. Not discussing whether it's a good idea or not
                                  (it is) but whether it is required by G2SS.

                                  Best wishes,

                                  Neil Lupton

                                • Ben
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                                    This is a topic that recently came up for the various units I'm
                                    involved with.

                                    I'm a Cubmaster for a small pack that usually feeds into a pretty
                                    large troop nearby. We utilized a den chief for the first time last
                                    year with our Webelos I den. It worked out extremely well.

                                    This year, I put in a request to the troop for den chiefs for our
                                    Webelos II, Webelos I and Bear dens. All of the boys from the troop
                                    will have to be interviewed by the Cub committee before they assume
                                    their positions.

                                    I also submitted a request to our local crew for Den chiefs for our
                                    Wolf and Tiger dens asnd got two female Crew members who
                                    volunteered.
                                    They will go through the same process as the boys from the troop.

                                    Now, in my mind, that's great because I have older scouts who will
                                    be able to help out the junior den leaders corral those rowdy Tigers
                                    and Wolves. And I've got Boy scouts from the troop who will provide
                                    that role model and bridge for the boys who are getting ready to
                                    transition over to the Troops. Plus, having Venturing females in
                                    uniform at Pack and district events gives the added bonus of
                                    promoting Venturing throughout the community.

                                    Bottom line is having female youth in leadership positions is a win-
                                    win.

                                    Starting next month, I'll have den chiefs for each of my dens as
                                    well as a "Pack" den chief. "Wait? A what?" you might say.

                                    Due to the largeness of our local troop, they have few opportunities
                                    for leadership positions for the youth other than the usual. After
                                    working with the local scoutmaster, (and a comment during a training
                                    session at summer camp) we implemented the idea of having
                                    an expierenced den chief serve as a "Pack" chief. Basically, He's
                                    the "head" den chief. He'll help out at Pack meetings, fill in for
                                    den chiefs when the assigned ones can't make a meeting due to
                                    unforseen circumstance or schedule conflicts, he'll also offer
                                    advice and leadership to the first year den chiefs as well as
                                    checking to make sure they are fulfilling the requirements of the
                                    position.

                                    Myself and the scoutmaster think it will work out pretty well.
                                    Either way, with the Pack chief and the female den chiefs, it'll be
                                    a fun year!

                                    YiS&V
                                    Ben K.

                                    Cubmaster - Pack 578
                                    MB Counselor - Troop 1717
                                    Advisor - Crew 1717
                                    I used to be an Antelope....
                                  • Lady T
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 15, 2008
                                      Wow!  I'm AWESTRUCK!
                                      Wish we could get this much participation/involvement in our area!
                                      Trish

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 16, 2008
                                        In a message dated 8/15/2008 10:59:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        maria@... writes:

                                        If you live in an area with enough boys and men to do the job -
                                        great. But if you don't and a woman or a girl will step up to help
                                        make the program, as long as they are following the program, I don't
                                        have a problem with it.

                                        I have known many great female leaders. I think female or male it doesn't
                                        matter as long as the leader is trained and follows the program. No begging
                                        about it.

                                        Ed Harvey
                                        Training Chair Dutchess District
                                        Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                                        THE HEART OF SCOUTING IS TRAINING
                                        Hudson Valley Council
                                        I used to be an Antelope

                                        Read reviews on AOL Autos.