Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 1854

  • ed5870@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 12 12:24 PM
      It does say a she can't if you read that it says has been a Boy Scout. Girls can not be a Boy Scout they can be Venturer's but a girl can be a Den Aide.

      In the quick glance I saw - it didn't say a girl couldn't....
      Qualifications:
      Be an older, experienced Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or Venturer who has been a Boy Scout.

      Ed Harvey
      Training Chair
      Dutchess District Hudson Valley Council
      Ever Scout deserves a Trained Leader

      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 12 12:36 PM
        "den aide" as an official position in a Cub Scout pack has been gone for
        many (10?) years. It disappeared from the Cub Scout leader book several editions
        ago. The requirement that a Venturer have been a Boy Scout in order to be a
        Den Chief was eliminated 2-3 years ago. Female Venturers *can* be den Chiefs.

        Pack Trainer, P. 512
        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        3 Rivers District
        Scouting. Good for Life.

        In a message dated 8/12/2008 2:25:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
        ed5870@... writes:

        >but a girl can be a Den Aide.

        Read reviews on AOL Autos.

      • Lady T
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 12 12:55 PM
          So, if they have indeed removed the words "who has been a boy scout," am I safe in assuming that a male Venturer who has never had anything to do with scouting prior to Venturing is now able to be a den chief?
          Trish

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 12 2:45 PM
            In a message dated 8/12/08 3:55:58 PM, eagleladyt@... writes:

            > So, if they have indeed removed the words "who has been a boy scout," am I
            > safe in assuming that a male Venturer who has never had anything to do with
            > scouting prior to Venturing is now able to be a den chief?
            > Tris

            They would also appear to meet the qualifications.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton

          • Ryan
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 13 10:46 AM
              Trish said:
              > So, if they have indeed removed the words "who has been a boy scout,"
              am I safe in assuming that a male Venturer who has never had anything
              to do with scouting prior to Venturing is now able to be a den chief?

              This current thread seems to be too stuck on a few words and losing
              sight of the bigger picture. If a female Venturer is capable and
              willing by all means she can be a Den Chief. Who cares that she wasn't
              a Boy Scout. Who's checking? Who's going to tell you that you are
              doing it wrong? Teaching Others is one of the methods of Venturing and
              why do we want to stop that? Females can be Den Leaders despite having
              never been Boy Scouts, so why not a Den Chief. Let's not put silly
              barriers up that would prevent good from being done. I'd say the same
              for a male Venturer who hasn't been a Boy Scout too. IF (big if) you
              can find a Venturer who is interested, then why not use them?

              Ryan
              Ore-Ida Council
            • whymel@cox.net
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 13 1:03 PM
                Well said Ryan!

                Wally
                SE Louisiana Council
                ---- Ryan <rd_lancaster@...> wrote:
                > Trish said:
                > > So, if they have indeed removed the words "who has been a boy scout,"
                > am I safe in assuming that a male Venturer who has never had anything
                > to do with scouting prior to Venturing is now able to be a den chief?
                >
                > This current thread seems to be too stuck on a few words and losing
                > sight of the bigger picture. If a female Venturer is capable and
                > willing by all means she can be a Den Chief. Who cares that she wasn't
                > a Boy Scout. Who's checking? Who's going to tell you that you are
                > doing it wrong? Teaching Others is one of the methods of Venturing and
                > why do we want to stop that? Females can be Den Leaders despite having
                > never been Boy Scouts, so why not a Den Chief. Let's not put silly
                > barriers up that would prevent good from being done. I'd say the same
                > for a male Venturer who hasn't been a Boy Scout too. IF (big if) you
                > can find a Venturer who is interested, then why not use them?
                >
                > Ryan
                > Ore-Ida Council

              • Kathie Heidenfelder
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 13 1:09 PM
                  Hi,

                  I'm not sure why not............Explorer scouts always were eligible
                  even if they had never been a Boy Scout.

                  Kathie

                  --
                  Kathie Heidenfelder
                  EECS Office of Graduate Studies
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 14 4:02 AM
                    Tnak you Jamie I was mis-led I see that the requirement that the Den Leader
                    was a Boy Scout has been removed and I think that was a great idea.

                    _ed5870@..._ (mailto:ed5870@...) writes:

                    >but a girl can be a Den Aide.

                    ************************<WBR>**Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits
                    Read reviews on AOL Autos.
                    (_http://autos.http://autos.http://autos.http://autos.http://autos.<WBhttp://a
                    u_
                    (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017) )

                    Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                  • Don Wilson
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 14 1:29 PM
                      Have you ever been in a situation where you have to do something
                      knowing full well that you will live to regret it? For me, this Den
                      Chief thing has been like the last piece of stake in a good meal.
                      You pop that last bite into your mouth and begin savoring the rich
                      steak flavor. However, laced through that bite was a piece of
                      gristle. You know, the kind that grows with every chew until you
                      think it fills your mouth. And what can you do? Can't talk around
                      that now hugh piece of gristle, bad manners to spit it out on your
                      plate, can't turn your head and spit it on the ground as we would if
                      camping. Best option will be to use your napkin and slip that
                      gristle into the napkin while daintily removing the excess juices
                      from your face. That is where I am.

                      I have reviewed the current Den Chief Handbook (3321B, 2005 printing)
                      well, that is the current version at our Scout Shop), and the current
                      Den Chief Training manual (34450C which I was given as the most
                      current version) and must take a small exception concerning
                      qualifications needed by a Den Chief.

                      The Den Chief Handbook states that: "As a den chief, you are
                      responsible for the following: (Pages 7 & 8)

                      Knowing the purposes of Cub Scouting

                      Helping boys achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting

                      Being the activities assistant in den meetings

                      Setting a good example through attitude and uniforming

                      Taking part in weekly den meetings

                      Assisting the den in its part of the monthly pack meeting program

                      Being a friend to the boys in the den

                      Meeting as needed with adult leaders"

                      Seems rather straight forward, right?

                      The Den Chief Training manual expands that list a bit on Page 1.
                      " The den chief:
                      1) Holds a leadership position in the troop, team, or crew......

                      2) Is a model for the boys in the den as well as the entire pack

                      3) Promptes Scouting in general and the local troop in particular

                      4) Facilitates the transition of Webelos Scouts into Boy Scouting

                      "In addition, a trained den chief:
                      1)Is capable of effectively assisting the den leader with planning
                      and conduction den meetings

                      2) Understands the Cub Scouting program and the differences between
                      Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting

                      3) will be comfortable with the den leader's duties and confident in
                      carrying them out

                      4) Is familiar with resources for age-appropriate activities for Cub
                      Scouts

                      5) Has a repertoire of activities that Cub Scouts enjoy"

                      OK, it is true that both the Den Chief Training manual and the Den
                      Chief Handbook quickly lists the "Purposes of Cub Scouting", but
                      neither dedicated any time to insure that the purposes are
                      understood. The den chief duties require "understanding of the Cub
                      Scout program and the differences between Cub Scouting and Boy
                      Scouting." The den chief "promotes Scouting in general and the local
                      troop in particular."

                      Perhaps I am making things too simple, however, I doubt that a youth
                      that has never been a Cub Scout or a Boy Scout would be able to
                      fulfill those requirements.

                      One of my goals as a Scoutmaster was to have a den chief working with
                      Webelos Scouts (if I had only one den chief) to encourage them to
                      transition into Boy Scouting, where the den chief would be present so
                      that the new Boy Scout did not feel as if he were in a room of
                      strange big boys. I am 100% certain that having a Boy Scout with
                      whom the new Scouts already know and has formed a friendship will
                      insure that retention is not a problem in the troop.

                      So, if a 14 year old, regardless of gender, joins a team or crew
                      without having the experience of Cub Scouting or Boy Scouting, how
                      would they be able to fulfill the requirements of a den chief?

                      OK, I spit the ball of gristle into my napkin. Please take no
                      offense as none was intended. However, please have great sympathy
                      with the council training chairman that has had to put up with me for
                      almost 20 years.

                      Don Wilson
                      OHC 420

[...]

                      **************
                      Lookingfor a car that's sporty, fun and fits in
                      yourbudget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                      (http://autos.aol.com/cars- BMW-128-2008/ expert-review?
                      ncid=aolaut00050 000000017 )

                      [Non-textportions of this message have been removed]

                      [Non-textportions of this message have been removed]

                      -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
                    • nuts4scouts
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 14 2:59 PM
                        I was never a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, or Venturer and yet I have managed
                        to be an active leader, trainer, and UC, in the BSA for the last 13
                        years.

                        I wonder how on earth I managed?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 14 4:00 PM
                          Having never been a Cub Scout, Boy Scout or Explorer (Varsity and
                          Venturing did not exist in the 1950's) and yet served as an active
                          Scoutmaster, Unit Commissioner, trainer, District Training Chair,
                          District Commissioner, and District Chairman over the past 20 years,
                          I did it the same way you did. I was trained, often under the
                          tutelage of Tom Travis, at every opportunity, having been a
                          participate in every course available at the council level and have
                          delivered training in almost every course. And a den chief that has
                          not participated in the Cub Scouting and/or Boy Scouting programs,
                          would also need to be trained in order to achieve the main goal of
                          assisting the transition of a Scout through the ranks and retention
                          in the Scouting program including troop, team and/or crew. Currrent
                          material does not provide that training.

                          Scouter Hammond is certainly correct. My materials are current. I
                          understand what the requirements state. And if your training
                          programs for den chief has included a complete understanding of Cub
                          Scouting and Boy Scouting programs, then the applicant is certainly
                          qualified. We do have to remember that there is a program that falls
                          between Cub Scouting and Venturing. That program is Boy Scouting,
                          and we are challenged to insure that youth are retained in that
                          program.

                          See, I knew that I was going to regret writing the post. No offense
                          intended.

                          YIS

                          Don Wilson
                          OHC 427

                          > I was never a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, or Venturer and yet I have managed
                          > to be an active leader, trainer, and UC, in the BSA for the last 13
                          > years.
                          >
                          > I wonder how on earth I managed?
                          >

                          > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > OK, it is true that both the Den Chief Training manual and the Den
                          > > Chief Handbook quickly lists the "Purposes of Cub Scouting", but
                          > > neither dedicated any time to insure that the purposes are
                          > > understood. The den chief duties require "understanding of the Cub
                          > > Scout program and the differences between Cub Scouting and Boy
                          > > Scouting." The den chief "promotes Scouting in general and the local
                          > > troop in particular."
                          > >
                          > > Perhaps I am making things too simple, however, I doubt that a youth
                          > > that has never been a Cub Scout or a Boy Scout would be able to
                          > > fulfill those requirements.
                        • Teresa Hall
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 14 5:16 PM
                            I'm just amazed that some areas have such a wealth to choose from. There may
                            be a "perfect" profile for a den chief, but around here it's either take the
                            one who has an interest and can make the schedule work, or do without.

                            Teresa Hall
                            Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
                            Greater AL Council

                            On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:59 PM, nuts4scouts <nuts4scouts@...> wrote:

                            > I was never a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, or Venturer and yet I have managed
                            > to be an active leader, trainer, and UC, in the BSA for the last 13
                            > years.
                            >
                            > I wonder how on earth I managed?
                            >

                            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > OK, it is true that both the Den Chief Training manual and the Den
                            > > Chief Handbook quickly lists the "Purposes of Cub Scouting", but
                            > > neither dedicated any time to insure that the purposes are
                            > > understood. The den chief duties require "understanding of the Cub
                            > > Scout program and the differences between Cub Scouting and Boy
                            > > Scouting." The den chief "promotes Scouting in general and the local
                            > > troop in particular."
                            > >
                            > > Perhaps I am making things too simple, however, I doubt that a youth
                            > > that has never been a Cub Scout or a Boy Scout would be able to
                            > > fulfill those requirements.

                          • Olan Watkins
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 14 5:21 PM
                              Don

                              Back in the dark ages when I was a Webelos leader and had a Den Chief from
                              a Troop the idea was that the Den Chief would try to get the Webelos to
                              move into the Troop as a group and the Den Chief would be their Patrol
                              Leader for their first six months to a year.

                              In general, the Den Chief position was a young Scout and their first
                              leadership position and only a year or two years older than the Webelos.

                              Today, if I were a Webelos Leader and had a young lady Venturing member as
                              a Den Chief, I guess that I would require that she attend a Den Chief
                              training and perhaps even at least the fast start training for Scouts and
                              Cubs so that she would understand the Cub and Boy Scout programs.

                              Since the young lady would not be a member of a Troop, she could not push
                              for moving into any one Troop, but perhaps that might be a good thing.

                              I could see it being a possible problem for over night den campouts,
                              Webelos Summer Camps, perhaps even for all day den trips to zoos or other
                              places for visits.

                              Perhaps some one with experience with having a Venturing Den Chief will
                              speak up and let us know how it is working out.

                              Olan Watkins
                            • maria@inkspot.net
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 14 6:03 PM
                                I think I feel the same way, about female den chiefs as I do female
                                Scout Masters. Beggers can't be choosers.

                                If you live in an area with enough boys and men to do the job -
                                great. But if you don't and a woman or a girl will step up to help
                                make the program, as long as they are following the program, I don't
                                have a problem with it.

                                M Hurley

                                > I'm just amazed that some areas have such a wealth to choose from. There may
                                > be a "perfect" profile for a den chief, but around here it's either take the
                                > one who has an interest and can make the schedule work, or do without.
                                >
                                > Teresa Hall
                              • Lisa
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 14 7:08 PM
                                  What problems would there be that we wouldn't have with a female den leader?

                                  Olan Watkins wrote:
                                  > I could see it being a possible problem for over night den campouts,
                                  > Webelos Summer Camps, perhaps even for all day den trips to zoos or other
                                  > places for visits.

                                • Olan Watkins
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 15 9:51 AM
                                    As someone said, in general Den Chiefs are not in super supply, so you
                                    pretty much have to take what you can get. Being a Den Chief is not the
                                    most popular leadership job in a Troop and not too many kids will take the
                                    job.

                                    A good Den Chief can be worth their weight in gold, or they can just be
                                    another kid in the den for the leader to look after.

                                    I have been on both sides of the fence, as a Webelos Den Leader with a Den
                                    Chief and as a Scout Master trying to get kids to take on the job of Den
                                    Chief.

                                    Having a Den Chief with a Webelos Den can be the most effective recruiting
                                    method that a Troop can have, so it is to the Troops advantage to supply as
                                    good a Scout as is possible to have.

                                    When I was a Webelos leader, I had a very good Den Chief that set a very
                                    good example of how Scouts should act and was a good role model. He acted
                                    pretty much the same as a Patrol Leader. We did quite a bit of camping and
                                    activities and he did a good job of teaching them how to cook, pitch tents,
                                    and so on such that when we moved into the Troop they were able to hit the
                                    ground running as Boy Scouts.

                                    I guess it would be possible to have a Den Chief with Bear and Wolf Dens,
                                    but I don't think I have ever know of one.

                                    As some one said with a female den leader, having a female Venturing Den
                                    Chief should not be a problem for over night campouts.

                                    Olan Watkins
                                  • Kevin Pate
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 15 9:55 AM
                                      > What problems would there be that we wouldn't have with a female
                                      > den leader?

                                      Rightly or wrongly, our society and our organization are fine with two or three moms taking some Webelos and a male den chief to the woods, but the fine vanishes rapidly when it is two or three dads taking some Webelos and a female Venturer to the woods.
                                    • maria@inkspot.net
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 15 10:02 AM
                                        My understanding is that if there is a female Venturer, than there
                                        has to be a female leader, if overnights are involved. I maybe wrong,
                                        but I believe that's why our council is doing such a push to get
                                        woman involved in Venturing.

                                        I know groups have had to nearly cancel trips until they got a
                                        trained woman to join them.

                                        M Hurley
                                      • NeilLup@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 15 10:02 AM
                                          In a message dated 8/15/08 12:55:47 PM, kevinpate@... writes:

                                          > Rightly or wrongly, our society and our organization are fine with two or
                                          > three moms taking some Webelos and a male den chief to the woods, but the fine
                                          > vanishes rapidly when it is two or three dads taking some Webelos and a
                                          > female Venturer to the woods

                                          I believe that, per G2SS, if there is a female Venturer as a Den Chief,
                                          there would need to be both male and female adult leadership for the event.
                                          I would suggest that a female Venturer and male Cub Scouts would make it a
                                          "coed" event.

                                          That's not a "problem" it's complying with the guidelines.

                                          And I have heard it asked whether is becomes a coed event if there are female
                                          adults on a Boy Scout or Cub Scout outing meaning that there would need to be
                                          a male adult present too. Not discussing whether it's a good idea or not
                                          (it is) but whether it is required by G2SS.

                                          Best wishes,

                                          Neil Lupton

                                        • Ben
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 15 10:12 AM
                                            This is a topic that recently came up for the various units I'm
                                            involved with.

                                            I'm a Cubmaster for a small pack that usually feeds into a pretty
                                            large troop nearby. We utilized a den chief for the first time last
                                            year with our Webelos I den. It worked out extremely well.

                                            This year, I put in a request to the troop for den chiefs for our
                                            Webelos II, Webelos I and Bear dens. All of the boys from the troop
                                            will have to be interviewed by the Cub committee before they assume
                                            their positions.

                                            I also submitted a request to our local crew for Den chiefs for our
                                            Wolf and Tiger dens asnd got two female Crew members who
                                            volunteered.
                                            They will go through the same process as the boys from the troop.

                                            Now, in my mind, that's great because I have older scouts who will
                                            be able to help out the junior den leaders corral those rowdy Tigers
                                            and Wolves. And I've got Boy scouts from the troop who will provide
                                            that role model and bridge for the boys who are getting ready to
                                            transition over to the Troops. Plus, having Venturing females in
                                            uniform at Pack and district events gives the added bonus of
                                            promoting Venturing throughout the community.

                                            Bottom line is having female youth in leadership positions is a win-
                                            win.

                                            Starting next month, I'll have den chiefs for each of my dens as
                                            well as a "Pack" den chief. "Wait? A what?" you might say.

                                            Due to the largeness of our local troop, they have few opportunities
                                            for leadership positions for the youth other than the usual. After
                                            working with the local scoutmaster, (and a comment during a training
                                            session at summer camp) we implemented the idea of having
                                            an expierenced den chief serve as a "Pack" chief. Basically, He's
                                            the "head" den chief. He'll help out at Pack meetings, fill in for
                                            den chiefs when the assigned ones can't make a meeting due to
                                            unforseen circumstance or schedule conflicts, he'll also offer
                                            advice and leadership to the first year den chiefs as well as
                                            checking to make sure they are fulfilling the requirements of the
                                            position.

                                            Myself and the scoutmaster think it will work out pretty well.
                                            Either way, with the Pack chief and the female den chiefs, it'll be
                                            a fun year!

                                            YiS&V
                                            Ben K.

                                            Cubmaster - Pack 578
                                            MB Counselor - Troop 1717
                                            Advisor - Crew 1717
                                            I used to be an Antelope....
                                          • Lady T
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 15 10:24 AM
                                              Wow!  I'm AWESTRUCK!
                                              Wish we could get this much participation/involvement in our area!
                                              Trish

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 16 4:51 AM
                                                In a message dated 8/15/2008 10:59:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                maria@... writes:

                                                If you live in an area with enough boys and men to do the job -
                                                great. But if you don't and a woman or a girl will step up to help
                                                make the program, as long as they are following the program, I don't
                                                have a problem with it.

                                                I have known many great female leaders. I think female or male it doesn't
                                                matter as long as the leader is trained and follows the program. No begging
                                                about it.

                                                Ed Harvey
                                                Training Chair Dutchess District
                                                Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                                                THE HEART OF SCOUTING IS TRAINING
                                                Hudson Valley Council
                                                I used to be an Antelope

                                                Read reviews on AOL Autos.