Questions on the new Cub Scout leader training

  • Elaine D. Boyd
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2008
      Greetings Fellow Scouters!

      I am preparing to run the new training for the first time next week. This is a special training that we set up to help a new unit and it also gives me and my staff a chance to run through the syllabus before our fall schedule. I have a few questions for those who have run the course.

      1) How are the time estimates that BSA provides? Are they too short or just about right? New Leader Essentials keeps coming to mind - I have yet been able to run that in the 90 minutes BSA says I should (I am always longer).

      2) I finally put the DVD that came with the syllabus and watched it on my TV at home (could not get it to run on my computer - I loaded media center and I do have a DVD player on my computer). Granted, I don't have a large screen TV, but it is as big as what we have available to us at our training sites. I though the print was much too small to read. When it comes to training, I am much more a "low tech" gal than a "hi tech" one. I do not have access to a lap top, a video projector or an overhead projector on a regular basis - let alone 6 for each of the different splits! Has anyone come up with a "no tech" way of handling this? The thought of hand lettering all those screens is not my idea of fun. What are you planning to use?

      Any thoughts and comments are welcomed!

      Yours in Scouting,

      ~Elaine Boyd
      Abnaki District Cub Scout Training Chair
      Daniel Webster Council ~ NH
      I used to be a Bear! NE I-220
      And a good old Staffer too! NE I-243 & 250

    • JNDunnMN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2008
        In a message dated 8/7/2008 7:01:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
        edboyd@... writes:

        I am preparing to run the new training for the first time next week. This is
        a special training that we set up to help a new unit and it also gives me and
        my staff a chance to run through the syllabus before our fall schedule. I
        have a few questions for those who have run the course.

        1) How are the time estimates that BSA provides? Are they too short or just
        about right? New Leader Essentials keeps coming to mind - I have yet been
        able to run that in the 90 minutes BSA says I should (I am always longer).
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

        I don't have a good suggestion about the slides. I can tell you that we ran
        the course last week for a committee and Cubmaster. The first two sections -
        Intro to Cub Scouting and How We Have Fun both ran very true to the time
        suggested. We started at 6:10 and finished at 7:40.

        We attempted to combine the Committee and Cubmaster position specific
        sections - it was *very* clumsy and looked and felt ugly. It also took longer that
        1.5 hours, but I'm not sure whether that was because we had combined the two
        and had to spend time on both presentations, or because there were so many
        questions during the advancement section.

        Pack Trainer, P. 512
        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        3 Rivers District
        Scouting. Good for Life.

        Read reviews on AOL Autos.

      • Elaine D. Boyd
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2008
          Jamie,

          thanks for the timing reports for the first two modules. That is good
          information to know.

          With the old syllabus we have combined cubmaster with committee with good
          results. That is too bad the the two don't mesh so well anymore. I think
          it is good for both those positions to know what the other is/should be
          doing.

          What did you use to show the slides with? Do you have access to a
          projector? That is the only way I could see getting the font big enough for
          everyone to read.

          Yours in Scouting,

          ~Elaine
          Scouter in NH

          > In a message dated 8/7/2008 7:01:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
          > edboyd@... writes:
          >
          > I am preparing to run the new training for the first time next week. This
          is
          > a special training that we set up to help a new unit and it also gives me
          and
          > my staff a chance to run through the syllabus before our fall schedule. I
          > have a few questions for those who have run the course.
          >
          > 1) How are the time estimates that BSA provides? Are they too short or
          just
          > about right? New Leader Essentials keeps coming to mind - I have yet been
          > able to run that in the 90 minutes BSA says I should (I am always
          longer).
          > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          >

          > I don't have a good suggestion about the slides. I can tell you that we
          ran
          > the course last week for a committee and Cubmaster. The first two
          sections -
          > Intro to Cub Scouting and How We Have Fun both ran very true to the time
          > suggested. We started at 6:10 and finished at 7:40.
          >
          > We attempted to combine the Committee and Cubmaster position specific
          > sections - it was *very* clumsy and looked and felt ugly. It also took
          longer that
          > 1.5 hours, but I'm not sure whether that was because we had combined the
          two
          > and had to spend time on both presentations, or because there were so many
          > questions during the advancement section.
          >
          > YiS,
          > Jamie Niss Dunn
          > Pack Trainer, P. 512
          > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          > 3 Rivers District
          > Scouting. Good for Life.
          >

          > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
          budget?
          > Read reviews on AOL Autos.

          (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000
          017 )

        • JNDunnMN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2008
            The pack owns a projector, so I used that. Otherwise, I would have borrowed
            one from the council office - they have several that are available for us to
            use.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 7, 2008
              I think there is a projector at council that I could use, but it is an hour
              drive to the office. That would make four trips total to get the thing and
              to return it. Ouch on the gas cost alone! Our DE doesn't live far from me,
              but he works at home most of the time. I think he only goes to the office
              once a week.

              sigh

              ~Elaine