Re: Question on Tenderfoot new item

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2008
      Don, et. al.,

      I may have sounded a little hash in my last post, but in this case, it
      is over 7 months since the new requirements went into effect. I
      remember having major changes in the whole advancement program when I
      was a Scout. I know the frustration of going back and redoing the
      requirements for Tenderfoot and Second Class so that I could earn
      Second Class.

      I agree with the comments that we should not penalize the Scout for an
      adults mistake, but at the same time we need to teach our Scouts that
      we should always do things right. You also don't want other Scouts to
      feel like this one did not earn his Tenderfoot since he did not have
      to complete all of the requirements.

      One of the responsibilities of a Board of Review is to review the
      Scout's record and ensure they have completed all of the requirements.
      If they are aware that a Scout has not completed all of the
      requirements beforehand, they should not convene the Board. In the
      case presented, it appeared that the Troop had not held the Board yet,
      when Carol made the original post. My guess is that when the Troop
      did a review of the records, they noticed the missing requirements.

      I thoroughly agree that we do not want to discourage this young Scout,
      but in this case, as in most, the solution for the Troop is very easy,
      as the material is available on the BSA web site. Have the
      Scoutmaster meet with the Scout right before presenting him for his
      Board, ensure that the Scout knows the information, sign off, update
      the Scoutmaster Conference date, then present the Scout for his Board.

      Have a great week,
      Ken