Re: New Items on BSA website

  • Todd Block
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
      What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
      area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
      have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
      In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
      only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
      which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

      Todd

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

      > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
      > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
      items
      > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
      Weather" e-
      > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
      > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
      > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
      > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
      > training.
      >
      > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
      > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
      >
      > Happy website hunting!
      > Dawn Gent
      > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
      > Wilmington, DE

    • Don Wilson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
        ScoutNet you say? Even money that you are untrained.

        Don Wilson
        OHC 427

        To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
        From: "Todd Block" <ctablock@...>
        Date sent: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:28:46 -0000
        Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: New Items on BSA website
        Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

        What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
        area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
        have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
        In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
        only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
        which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

        Todd

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

        > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
        > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
        items
        > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
        Weather" e-
        > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
        > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
        > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
        > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
        > training.
        > > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
        > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
        > > Happy website hunting!
        > Dawn Gent
        > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
        > Wilmington, DE

        -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
      • Steven Powell
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
          Hi Todd,

          I've noticed the same problem you've identified. Let us remember that
          National is at least trying to make good the online learning experience
          regardless of where the effort may be on their "list of priorities" and/or
          "abilities". Eventually they'll get the bugs out.let's hope so. In the
          meantime the following post was sent to folks in the Capitol Area Council
          (Austin, Texas) last month and may be of interest to this list.

          Always in Service & Brotherhood,

          Steve

          Longs Peak Council

          UPDATE: Online Training Problems

          Several volunteer leaders have reported problems with the BSA's online
          training over the last few days. The National Office has been working on
          these problems, and plans to send out the following emails to volunteers:

          For Youth Protection Training problems:

          We note that you logged into MyScouting to take Youth Protection Training
          during the last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course
          not showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
          completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
          approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
          above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
          course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
          "completed." The most expeditious way to "complete" the course is to go
          straight to the test by clicking on the Test button located at the top of
          the course introduction page.

          We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you for
          your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

          For problems with all other trainings:

          We note that you logged into MyScouting to take a training course during the
          last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course not
          showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
          completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
          approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
          above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
          course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
          "completed." We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
          Thank you for your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

          If you are still having problems accessing online training certificates,
          contact the National Office's help desk directly at 1-800-627-3025. Press
          "1" at the first prompt.

        • corinnajones@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
            My son tried taking the Den Chief training, but either our wireless router
            took a time-out or it's not working correctly. He did not make it beyond the
            first few screens.
            Well, it would be helpful for youth to be able to get credit for their
            courses, including Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat, considering that
            there are youth members who are lifeguards. Weather safety (not sure about
            the course name right now) would not hurt to be taken by the SPL either.
            YPT is also good for the 16+ crowd. Camp staff has to take it...
            Corinna

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
              It was S-L-O-W! And I have high speed internet.

            • ed5870@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
                In a message dated 7/6/2008 12:10:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                JNDunnMN@... writes:

                I can't find the online Den Chief training. It is someplace other than the
                online learning center?

                Here is the link _http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html_
                (http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html)

                Ed Harvey
                Training Chair Dutchess District
                Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                THE HEART OF SCOUTING IS TRAINING
                Hudson Valley Council
                I used to be an Antelope

              • dmcdlgcs
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 14, 2008
                  Just when I thought I had passed on most of the info I found another...
                  Use BSAuniforms.org as a link to the ScoutStuff page and information on
                  the new Boy Scout uniforms. (I've been watching for it by going
                  directly to the ScoutStuff page and wasn't getting anywhere and it
                  didn't make sense).

                  The uniforms are rolling out August 2008 according to the link.

                  Dawn Gent
                  Training Coordinator - Cub Scouts
                  Wilmington, DE