Re: [Scouter_T] New Items on BSA website

  • Dawn Gent
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
      I noticed the Youth Protection a couple of months ago when I checked it
      out...I really think that it is a great program now and am sending most
      people that way. The Cub Scout Fast Starts are also much improved. The
      certificate thing continues to be an issue.

      At the moment there is a gap in training material...The current Scoutmaster
      Specifics does not include the Troop Leadership Training (or NAYLE or NYLT)
      which is actual the training programs for training the youth leaders in
      their positions (all of their positions!) and has been available for about 3
      years. The TLT can actually be set up so that you can train the SPL then
      assist him as he trains the other positions. On completion of the 3 Modules
      of TLT training the boy can wear a trained patch below their position patch.
      I like the structure of this training and the possibilities it offers - I
      think too many times we expect the boys to know what to do from the job
      description when we all know from real life that there is a BIG difference
      between the job on paper and the actual job. Here is some more info:
      http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/trainingmodules/youth%20leadership%20training%20continuum.aspx

      Online copies of the training material ARE available (and I recommend it
      because I thought the TLT especially was a rip-off for what you get).

      Dawn

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
        What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
        area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
        have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
        In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
        only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
        which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

        Todd

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

        > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
        > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
        items
        > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
        Weather" e-
        > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
        > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
        > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
        > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
        > training.
        >
        > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
        > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
        >
        > Happy website hunting!
        > Dawn Gent
        > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
        > Wilmington, DE

      • Don Wilson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
          ScoutNet you say? Even money that you are untrained.

          Don Wilson
          OHC 427

          To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
          From: "Todd Block" <ctablock@...>
          Date sent: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:28:46 -0000
          Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: New Items on BSA website
          Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

          What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
          area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
          have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
          In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
          only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
          which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

          Todd

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

          > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
          > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
          items
          > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
          Weather" e-
          > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
          > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
          > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
          > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
          > training.
          > > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
          > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
          > > Happy website hunting!
          > Dawn Gent
          > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
          > Wilmington, DE

          -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
        • Steven Powell
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
            Hi Todd,

            I've noticed the same problem you've identified. Let us remember that
            National is at least trying to make good the online learning experience
            regardless of where the effort may be on their "list of priorities" and/or
            "abilities". Eventually they'll get the bugs out.let's hope so. In the
            meantime the following post was sent to folks in the Capitol Area Council
            (Austin, Texas) last month and may be of interest to this list.

            Always in Service & Brotherhood,

            Steve

            Longs Peak Council

            UPDATE: Online Training Problems

            Several volunteer leaders have reported problems with the BSA's online
            training over the last few days. The National Office has been working on
            these problems, and plans to send out the following emails to volunteers:

            For Youth Protection Training problems:

            We note that you logged into MyScouting to take Youth Protection Training
            during the last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course
            not showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
            completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
            approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
            above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
            course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
            "completed." The most expeditious way to "complete" the course is to go
            straight to the test by clicking on the Test button located at the top of
            the course introduction page.

            We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you for
            your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

            For problems with all other trainings:

            We note that you logged into MyScouting to take a training course during the
            last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course not
            showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
            completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
            approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
            above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
            course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
            "completed." We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
            Thank you for your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

            If you are still having problems accessing online training certificates,
            contact the National Office's help desk directly at 1-800-627-3025. Press
            "1" at the first prompt.

          • corinnajones@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
              My son tried taking the Den Chief training, but either our wireless router
              took a time-out or it's not working correctly. He did not make it beyond the
              first few screens.
              Well, it would be helpful for youth to be able to get credit for their
              courses, including Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat, considering that
              there are youth members who are lifeguards. Weather safety (not sure about
              the course name right now) would not hurt to be taken by the SPL either.
              YPT is also good for the 16+ crowd. Camp staff has to take it...
              Corinna

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
                It was S-L-O-W! And I have high speed internet.

              • ed5870@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
                  In a message dated 7/6/2008 12:10:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  JNDunnMN@... writes:

                  I can't find the online Den Chief training. It is someplace other than the
                  online learning center?

                  Here is the link _http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html_
                  (http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html)

                  Ed Harvey
                  Training Chair Dutchess District
                  Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                  THE HEART OF SCOUTING IS TRAINING
                  Hudson Valley Council
                  I used to be an Antelope

                • dmcdlgcs
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 14, 2008
                    Just when I thought I had passed on most of the info I found another...
                    Use BSAuniforms.org as a link to the ScoutStuff page and information on
                    the new Boy Scout uniforms. (I've been watching for it by going
                    directly to the ScoutStuff page and wasn't getting anywhere and it
                    didn't make sense).

                    The uniforms are rolling out August 2008 according to the link.

                    Dawn Gent
                    Training Coordinator - Cub Scouts
                    Wilmington, DE