Re: [Scouter_T] New Items on BSA website

  • JNDunnMN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
      Why does one portal (MyScouting) do one thing and the another (the OLC) do
      another? My understanding was that the OLC would go away and MyScouting would
      provide access to the e-learning system. I am just baffled by the IT system
      sometimes.

      Pack Trainer, P. 512
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
      3 Rivers District
      Scouting. Good for Life.

    • Teresa Hall
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
        My GUESS is that the OLC is for adult learning activities, and this is an
        anachronism. They don't necessarily want the Boy Scouts to register for the
        OLC just to take Fast Start for Den Chiefs. But on the other hand, it may
        just be that they aren't done putting it in place yet.

        Back to the beginning post, and the Weather Hazards Training, a couple of
        months ago the head of the Cub Scout Division came to visit our Council
        committee meetings. He told the training committee that the Weather Hazards
        training would be required for a tour permit in January 2009, and that a new
        version of the tour permit would be released at that time with the
        information about Weather Haz training included.

        Teresa Hall
        Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
        Greater AL Council

        On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM, <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

        > Why does one portal (MyScouting) do one thing and the another (the OLC) do
        > another? My understanding was that the OLC would go away and MyScouting
        > would
        > provide access to the e-learning system. I am just baffled by the IT system
        > sometimes.
        >
        > YiS,
        > Jamie Niss Dunn
        > Pack Trainer, P. 512
        > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
        > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        > 3 Rivers District
        > Scouting. Good for Life.

        > fuel-efficient used cars. (
        > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

      • nuts4scouts
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
          Well, I not only learned about Den Chief Training, but I learned that
          entering the OLC from BSA's home page, instead of going thru their
          half done MyScouting portal is the best way to see any new trainings
          there might be out there.

          From what I can tell, since you do not have to register for OLC
          anymore, the portal gives you access to both "for credit" and "not
          for credit" trainings. You see the full complement of trainings but,
          for the ones like Fast Start, that you will want to get credit for
          taking, it transfers you to MyScouting. The other links take you
          directly to the training.

          BTW - the OLC also has Venturing Crew Orientation, and Generational
          Diversity. Neither of these are available on MyScouting. I also
          noticed that under Supplemental Training they have added Cub
          Scout Commissioner Fast Start.

          The BSA IT guys have really missed the boat on this part of their
          site. After that survey asking how their Web site was doing I hoped
          it would get better, not worse!

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

          > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
          > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
          items
          > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
          Weather" e-
          > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
          > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
          > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
          > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
          > training.
          >
          > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
          > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
          >
          > Happy website hunting!
          > Dawn Gent
          > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
          > Wilmington, DE

        • Dawn Gent
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
            I noticed the Youth Protection a couple of months ago when I checked it
            out...I really think that it is a great program now and am sending most
            people that way. The Cub Scout Fast Starts are also much improved. The
            certificate thing continues to be an issue.

            At the moment there is a gap in training material...The current Scoutmaster
            Specifics does not include the Troop Leadership Training (or NAYLE or NYLT)
            which is actual the training programs for training the youth leaders in
            their positions (all of their positions!) and has been available for about 3
            years. The TLT can actually be set up so that you can train the SPL then
            assist him as he trains the other positions. On completion of the 3 Modules
            of TLT training the boy can wear a trained patch below their position patch.
            I like the structure of this training and the possibilities it offers - I
            think too many times we expect the boys to know what to do from the job
            description when we all know from real life that there is a BIG difference
            between the job on paper and the actual job. Here is some more info:
            http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/trainingmodules/youth%20leadership%20training%20continuum.aspx

            Online copies of the training material ARE available (and I recommend it
            because I thought the TLT especially was a rip-off for what you get).

            Dawn

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
              What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
              area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
              have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
              In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
              only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
              which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

              Todd

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

              > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
              > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
              items
              > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
              Weather" e-
              > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
              > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
              > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
              > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
              > training.
              >
              > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
              > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
              >
              > Happy website hunting!
              > Dawn Gent
              > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
              > Wilmington, DE

            • Don Wilson
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                ScoutNet you say? Even money that you are untrained.

                Don Wilson
                OHC 427

                To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                From: "Todd Block" <ctablock@...>
                Date sent: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:28:46 -0000
                Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: New Items on BSA website
                Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

                What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
                area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
                have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
                In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
                only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
                which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

                Todd

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

                > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
                > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
                items
                > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
                Weather" e-
                > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
                > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
                > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
                > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
                > training.
                > > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
                > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
                > > Happy website hunting!
                > Dawn Gent
                > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
                > Wilmington, DE

                -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
              • Steven Powell
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
                  Hi Todd,

                  I've noticed the same problem you've identified. Let us remember that
                  National is at least trying to make good the online learning experience
                  regardless of where the effort may be on their "list of priorities" and/or
                  "abilities". Eventually they'll get the bugs out.let's hope so. In the
                  meantime the following post was sent to folks in the Capitol Area Council
                  (Austin, Texas) last month and may be of interest to this list.

                  Always in Service & Brotherhood,

                  Steve

                  Longs Peak Council

                  UPDATE: Online Training Problems

                  Several volunteer leaders have reported problems with the BSA's online
                  training over the last few days. The National Office has been working on
                  these problems, and plans to send out the following emails to volunteers:

                  For Youth Protection Training problems:

                  We note that you logged into MyScouting to take Youth Protection Training
                  during the last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course
                  not showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
                  completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
                  approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
                  above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
                  course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
                  "completed." The most expeditious way to "complete" the course is to go
                  straight to the test by clicking on the Test button located at the top of
                  the course introduction page.

                  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you for
                  your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

                  For problems with all other trainings:

                  We note that you logged into MyScouting to take a training course during the
                  last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course not
                  showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
                  completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
                  approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
                  above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
                  course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
                  "completed." We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
                  Thank you for your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

                  If you are still having problems accessing online training certificates,
                  contact the National Office's help desk directly at 1-800-627-3025. Press
                  "1" at the first prompt.

                • corinnajones@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
                    My son tried taking the Den Chief training, but either our wireless router
                    took a time-out or it's not working correctly. He did not make it beyond the
                    first few screens.
                    Well, it would be helpful for youth to be able to get credit for their
                    courses, including Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat, considering that
                    there are youth members who are lifeguards. Weather safety (not sure about
                    the course name right now) would not hurt to be taken by the SPL either.
                    YPT is also good for the 16+ crowd. Camp staff has to take it...
                    Corinna

                    > My GUESS is that the OLC is for adult learning activities, and this is an
                    > anachronism. They don't necessarily want the Boy Scouts to register for
                    > the
                    > OLC just to take Fast Start for Den Chiefs. But on the other hand, it may
                    > just be that they aren't done putting it in place yet.
                    >
                    > Back to the beginning post, and the Weather Hazards Training, a couple of
                    > months ago the head of the Cub Scout Division came to visit our Council
                    > committee meetings. He told the training committee that the Weather
                    > Hazards
                    > training would be required for a tour permit in January 2009, and that a
                    > new
                    > version of the tour permit would be released at that time with the
                    > information about Weather Haz training included.
                    >
                    > Teresa Hall
                    > Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
                    > Greater AL Council
                  • Lisa
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
                      It was S-L-O-W! And I have high speed internet.

                    • ed5870@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
                        In a message dated 7/6/2008 12:10:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        JNDunnMN@... writes:

                        I can't find the online Den Chief training. It is someplace other than the
                        online learning center?

                        Here is the link _http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html_
                        (http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html)

                        Ed Harvey
                        Training Chair Dutchess District
                        Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                        THE HEART OF SCOUTING IS TRAINING
                        Hudson Valley Council
                        I used to be an Antelope

                      • dmcdlgcs
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 14, 2008
                          Just when I thought I had passed on most of the info I found another...
                          Use BSAuniforms.org as a link to the ScoutStuff page and information on
                          the new Boy Scout uniforms. (I've been watching for it by going
                          directly to the ScoutStuff page and wasn't getting anywhere and it
                          didn't make sense).

                          The uniforms are rolling out August 2008 according to the link.

                          Dawn Gent
                          Training Coordinator - Cub Scouts
                          Wilmington, DE