RE: [Scouter_T] New Items on BSA website

  • Ron and Ruth White
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
      It's not on the My BSA but can be found at the on-line learning center - http://olc.scouting.org/

      Ruth White
      Buckeye District Training Chair
      Simon Kenton Council

      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      From: JNDunnMN@...
      Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:09:39 -0400
      Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] New Items on BSA website

      I can't find the online Den Chief training. It is someplace other than the

      online learning center?

      Pack Trainer, P. 512

      Cub Scout Training Coordinator

      3 Rivers District

      Scouting. Good for Life.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
        Why does one portal (MyScouting) do one thing and the another (the OLC) do
        another? My understanding was that the OLC would go away and MyScouting would
        provide access to the e-learning system. I am just baffled by the IT system
        sometimes.

        Pack Trainer, P. 512
        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
        3 Rivers District
        Scouting. Good for Life.

      • Teresa Hall
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
          My GUESS is that the OLC is for adult learning activities, and this is an
          anachronism. They don't necessarily want the Boy Scouts to register for the
          OLC just to take Fast Start for Den Chiefs. But on the other hand, it may
          just be that they aren't done putting it in place yet.

          Back to the beginning post, and the Weather Hazards Training, a couple of
          months ago the head of the Cub Scout Division came to visit our Council
          committee meetings. He told the training committee that the Weather Hazards
          training would be required for a tour permit in January 2009, and that a new
          version of the tour permit would be released at that time with the
          information about Weather Haz training included.

          Teresa Hall
          Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
          Greater AL Council

          On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM, <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

          > Why does one portal (MyScouting) do one thing and the another (the OLC) do
          > another? My understanding was that the OLC would go away and MyScouting
          > would
          > provide access to the e-learning system. I am just baffled by the IT system
          > sometimes.
          >
          > YiS,
          > Jamie Niss Dunn
          > Pack Trainer, P. 512
          > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
          > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          > 3 Rivers District
          > Scouting. Good for Life.

          > fuel-efficient used cars. (
          > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

        • nuts4scouts
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
            Well, I not only learned about Den Chief Training, but I learned that
            entering the OLC from BSA's home page, instead of going thru their
            half done MyScouting portal is the best way to see any new trainings
            there might be out there.

            From what I can tell, since you do not have to register for OLC
            anymore, the portal gives you access to both "for credit" and "not
            for credit" trainings. You see the full complement of trainings but,
            for the ones like Fast Start, that you will want to get credit for
            taking, it transfers you to MyScouting. The other links take you
            directly to the training.

            BTW - the OLC also has Venturing Crew Orientation, and Generational
            Diversity. Neither of these are available on MyScouting. I also
            noticed that under Supplemental Training they have added Cub
            Scout Commissioner Fast Start.

            The BSA IT guys have really missed the boat on this part of their
            site. After that survey asking how their Web site was doing I hoped
            it would get better, not worse!

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

            > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
            > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
            items
            > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
            Weather" e-
            > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
            > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
            > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
            > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
            > training.
            >
            > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
            > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
            >
            > Happy website hunting!
            > Dawn Gent
            > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
            > Wilmington, DE

          • Dawn Gent
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
              I noticed the Youth Protection a couple of months ago when I checked it
              out...I really think that it is a great program now and am sending most
              people that way. The Cub Scout Fast Starts are also much improved. The
              certificate thing continues to be an issue.

              At the moment there is a gap in training material...The current Scoutmaster
              Specifics does not include the Troop Leadership Training (or NAYLE or NYLT)
              which is actual the training programs for training the youth leaders in
              their positions (all of their positions!) and has been available for about 3
              years. The TLT can actually be set up so that you can train the SPL then
              assist him as he trains the other positions. On completion of the 3 Modules
              of TLT training the boy can wear a trained patch below their position patch.
              I like the structure of this training and the possibilities it offers - I
              think too many times we expect the boys to know what to do from the job
              description when we all know from real life that there is a BIG difference
              between the job on paper and the actual job. Here is some more info:
              http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/trainingmodules/youth%20leadership%20training%20continuum.aspx

              Online copies of the training material ARE available (and I recommend it
              because I thought the TLT especially was a rip-off for what you get).

              Dawn

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
                area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
                have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
                In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
                only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
                which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

                Todd

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

                > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
                > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
                items
                > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
                Weather" e-
                > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
                > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
                > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
                > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
                > training.
                >
                > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
                > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
                >
                > Happy website hunting!
                > Dawn Gent
                > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
                > Wilmington, DE

              • Don Wilson
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                  ScoutNet you say? Even money that you are untrained.

                  Don Wilson
                  OHC 427

                  To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                  From: "Todd Block" <ctablock@...>
                  Date sent: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:28:46 -0000
                  Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: New Items on BSA website
                  Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

                  What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
                  area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
                  have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
                  In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
                  only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
                  which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

                  Todd

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

                  > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
                  > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
                  items
                  > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
                  Weather" e-
                  > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
                  > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
                  > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
                  > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
                  > training.
                  > > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
                  > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
                  > > Happy website hunting!
                  > Dawn Gent
                  > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
                  > Wilmington, DE

                  -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
                • Steven Powell
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
                    Hi Todd,

                    I've noticed the same problem you've identified. Let us remember that
                    National is at least trying to make good the online learning experience
                    regardless of where the effort may be on their "list of priorities" and/or
                    "abilities". Eventually they'll get the bugs out.let's hope so. In the
                    meantime the following post was sent to folks in the Capitol Area Council
                    (Austin, Texas) last month and may be of interest to this list.

                    Always in Service & Brotherhood,

                    Steve

                    Longs Peak Council

                    UPDATE: Online Training Problems

                    Several volunteer leaders have reported problems with the BSA's online
                    training over the last few days. The National Office has been working on
                    these problems, and plans to send out the following emails to volunteers:

                    For Youth Protection Training problems:

                    We note that you logged into MyScouting to take Youth Protection Training
                    during the last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course
                    not showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
                    completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
                    approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
                    above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
                    course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
                    "completed." The most expeditious way to "complete" the course is to go
                    straight to the test by clicking on the Test button located at the top of
                    the course introduction page.

                    We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you for
                    your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

                    For problems with all other trainings:

                    We note that you logged into MyScouting to take a training course during the
                    last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course not
                    showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
                    completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
                    approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
                    above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
                    course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
                    "completed." We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
                    Thank you for your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

                    If you are still having problems accessing online training certificates,
                    contact the National Office's help desk directly at 1-800-627-3025. Press
                    "1" at the first prompt.

                  • corinnajones@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
                      My son tried taking the Den Chief training, but either our wireless router
                      took a time-out or it's not working correctly. He did not make it beyond the
                      first few screens.
                      Well, it would be helpful for youth to be able to get credit for their
                      courses, including Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat, considering that
                      there are youth members who are lifeguards. Weather safety (not sure about
                      the course name right now) would not hurt to be taken by the SPL either.
                      YPT is also good for the 16+ crowd. Camp staff has to take it...
                      Corinna

                      > My GUESS is that the OLC is for adult learning activities, and this is an
                      > anachronism. They don't necessarily want the Boy Scouts to register for
                      > the
                      > OLC just to take Fast Start for Den Chiefs. But on the other hand, it may
                      > just be that they aren't done putting it in place yet.
                      >
                      > Back to the beginning post, and the Weather Hazards Training, a couple of
                      > months ago the head of the Cub Scout Division came to visit our Council
                      > committee meetings. He told the training committee that the Weather
                      > Hazards
                      > training would be required for a tour permit in January 2009, and that a
                      > new
                      > version of the tour permit would be released at that time with the
                      > information about Weather Haz training included.
                      >
                      > Teresa Hall
                      > Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
                      > Greater AL Council
                    • Lisa
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
                        It was S-L-O-W! And I have high speed internet.

                      • ed5870@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
                          In a message dated 7/6/2008 12:10:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          JNDunnMN@... writes:

                          I can't find the online Den Chief training. It is someplace other than the
                          online learning center?

                          Here is the link _http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html_
                          (http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html)

                          Ed Harvey
                          Training Chair Dutchess District
                          Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                          THE HEART OF SCOUTING IS TRAINING
                          Hudson Valley Council
                          I used to be an Antelope

                        • dmcdlgcs
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 14, 2008
                            Just when I thought I had passed on most of the info I found another...
                            Use BSAuniforms.org as a link to the ScoutStuff page and information on
                            the new Boy Scout uniforms. (I've been watching for it by going
                            directly to the ScoutStuff page and wasn't getting anywhere and it
                            didn't make sense).

                            The uniforms are rolling out August 2008 according to the link.

                            Dawn Gent
                            Training Coordinator - Cub Scouts
                            Wilmington, DE