RE: [Scouter_T] New Items on BSA website

  • Ron and Ruth White
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
      Not sure when the on-line Youth Protection Training was revised, again, as I review it several times a year, but it really is becoming a lot better with true to life scenarios that contain multiple steps that you must navigate through. Although I didn't miss any questions at the end, it looks like there is a review of what questions a participant had answered incorrectly. I might take it again to find out how many questions you have to answer correctly to pass.

      Also I just finished taking the new Den Chief Training (thanks Dawn for pointing it out!) and printed a card which reflects it as a Fast Start Training (initial screen just says Den Chief Training). There is an opening statement that indicates this is the beginning of the steps needed to earn the Den Chief badge and cords, but I don't remember there are any specific things that need to be completed, other than be a First Class Scout and be appointed by your Troop to serve as a Den Chief. Am I missing something? Also when the training card pops up, it indicates additional things must be completed in order to wear the trained strip- but it doesn't elaborate. I assume it means attend the classroom training. Does anyone else have an opinion? We have a Den Chief Training scheduled for August and December. I think I'll suggest participants take the Fast Start before attending the classroom. Other than the redundant maize games, it looks to be really good introduction for the Scouts.

      Ruth White
      Buckeye District Training Chair
      Simon Kenton Council

      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      From: dlougent@...
      Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:27:45 +0000
      Subject: [Scouter_T] New Items on BSA website

      In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of

      searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related items

      are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous Weather" e-

      learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour

      permit; and online "Den Chief Training".

      Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout

      uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during

      training.

      Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the

      District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!

      Happy website hunting!

      Dawn Gent

      Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)

      Wilmington, DE

    • Ron and Ruth White
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
        It's not on the My BSA but can be found at the on-line learning center - http://olc.scouting.org/

        To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
        From: JNDunnMN@...
        Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:09:39 -0400
        Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] New Items on BSA website

        I can't find the online Den Chief training. It is someplace other than the

        online learning center?

        Pack Trainer, P. 512

        Cub Scout Training Coordinator

        3 Rivers District

        Scouting. Good for Life.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
          Why does one portal (MyScouting) do one thing and the another (the OLC) do
          another? My understanding was that the OLC would go away and MyScouting would
          provide access to the e-learning system. I am just baffled by the IT system
          sometimes.

          Pack Trainer, P. 512
          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          3 Rivers District
          Scouting. Good for Life.

        • Teresa Hall
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
            My GUESS is that the OLC is for adult learning activities, and this is an
            anachronism. They don't necessarily want the Boy Scouts to register for the
            OLC just to take Fast Start for Den Chiefs. But on the other hand, it may
            just be that they aren't done putting it in place yet.

            Back to the beginning post, and the Weather Hazards Training, a couple of
            months ago the head of the Cub Scout Division came to visit our Council
            committee meetings. He told the training committee that the Weather Hazards
            training would be required for a tour permit in January 2009, and that a new
            version of the tour permit would be released at that time with the
            information about Weather Haz training included.

            Teresa Hall
            Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
            Greater AL Council

            On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM, <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

            > Why does one portal (MyScouting) do one thing and the another (the OLC) do
            > another? My understanding was that the OLC would go away and MyScouting
            > would
            > provide access to the e-learning system. I am just baffled by the IT system
            > sometimes.
            >
            > YiS,
            > Jamie Niss Dunn
            > Pack Trainer, P. 512
            > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
            > 3 Rivers District
            > Scouting. Good for Life.

            > fuel-efficient used cars. (
            > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

          • nuts4scouts
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
              Well, I not only learned about Den Chief Training, but I learned that
              entering the OLC from BSA's home page, instead of going thru their
              half done MyScouting portal is the best way to see any new trainings
              there might be out there.

              From what I can tell, since you do not have to register for OLC
              anymore, the portal gives you access to both "for credit" and "not
              for credit" trainings. You see the full complement of trainings but,
              for the ones like Fast Start, that you will want to get credit for
              taking, it transfers you to MyScouting. The other links take you
              directly to the training.

              BTW - the OLC also has Venturing Crew Orientation, and Generational
              Diversity. Neither of these are available on MyScouting. I also
              noticed that under Supplemental Training they have added Cub
              Scout Commissioner Fast Start.

              The BSA IT guys have really missed the boat on this part of their
              site. After that survey asking how their Web site was doing I hoped
              it would get better, not worse!

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

              > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
              > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
              items
              > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
              Weather" e-
              > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
              > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
              > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
              > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
              > training.
              >
              > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
              > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
              >
              > Happy website hunting!
              > Dawn Gent
              > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
              > Wilmington, DE

            • Dawn Gent
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                I noticed the Youth Protection a couple of months ago when I checked it
                out...I really think that it is a great program now and am sending most
                people that way. The Cub Scout Fast Starts are also much improved. The
                certificate thing continues to be an issue.

                At the moment there is a gap in training material...The current Scoutmaster
                Specifics does not include the Troop Leadership Training (or NAYLE or NYLT)
                which is actual the training programs for training the youth leaders in
                their positions (all of their positions!) and has been available for about 3
                years. The TLT can actually be set up so that you can train the SPL then
                assist him as he trains the other positions. On completion of the 3 Modules
                of TLT training the boy can wear a trained patch below their position patch.
                I like the structure of this training and the possibilities it offers - I
                think too many times we expect the boys to know what to do from the job
                description when we all know from real life that there is a BIG difference
                between the job on paper and the actual job. Here is some more info:
                http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/trainingmodules/youth%20leadership%20training%20continuum.aspx

                Online copies of the training material ARE available (and I recommend it
                because I thought the TLT especially was a rip-off for what you get).

                Dawn

                > Not sure when the on-line Youth Protection Training was revised, again, as
                > I review it several times a year, but it really is becoming a lot better
                > with true to life scenarios that contain multiple steps that you must
                > navigate through. Although I didn't miss any questions at the end, it
                > looks like there is a review of what questions a participant had answered
                > incorrectly. I might take it again to find out how many questions you
                > have to answer correctly to pass.
                >
                > Also I just finished taking the new Den Chief Training (thanks Dawn for
                > pointing it out!) and printed a card which reflects it as a Fast Start
                > Training (initial screen just says Den Chief Training). There is an
                > opening statement that indicates this is the beginning of the steps needed
                > to earn the Den Chief badge and cords, but I don't remember there are any
                > specific things that need to be completed, other than be a First Class
                > Scout and be appointed by your Troop to serve as a Den Chief. Am I
                > missing something? Also when the training card pops up, it indicates
                > additional things must be completed in order to wear the trained strip-
                > but it doesn't elaborate. I assume it means attend the classroom
                > training. Does anyone else have an opinion? We have a Den Chief Training
                > scheduled for August and December. I think I'll suggest participants take
                > the Fast Start before attending the classroom. Other than the redundant
                > maize games, it looks to be really good introduction for the
              • Todd Block
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                  What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
                  area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
                  have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
                  In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
                  only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
                  which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

                  Todd

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

                  > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
                  > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
                  items
                  > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
                  Weather" e-
                  > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
                  > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
                  > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
                  > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
                  > training.
                  >
                  > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
                  > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
                  >
                  > Happy website hunting!
                  > Dawn Gent
                  > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
                  > Wilmington, DE

                • Don Wilson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                    ScoutNet you say? Even money that you are untrained.

                    Don Wilson
                    OHC 427

                    To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                    From: "Todd Block" <ctablock@...>
                    Date sent: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:28:46 -0000
                    Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: New Items on BSA website
                    Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

                    What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
                    area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
                    have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
                    In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
                    only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
                    which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

                    Todd

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

                    > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
                    > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
                    items
                    > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
                    Weather" e-
                    > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
                    > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
                    > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
                    > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
                    > training.
                    > > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
                    > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
                    > > Happy website hunting!
                    > Dawn Gent
                    > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
                    > Wilmington, DE

                    -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
                  • Steven Powell
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
                      Hi Todd,

                      I've noticed the same problem you've identified. Let us remember that
                      National is at least trying to make good the online learning experience
                      regardless of where the effort may be on their "list of priorities" and/or
                      "abilities". Eventually they'll get the bugs out.let's hope so. In the
                      meantime the following post was sent to folks in the Capitol Area Council
                      (Austin, Texas) last month and may be of interest to this list.

                      Always in Service & Brotherhood,

                      Steve

                      Longs Peak Council

                      UPDATE: Online Training Problems

                      Several volunteer leaders have reported problems with the BSA's online
                      training over the last few days. The National Office has been working on
                      these problems, and plans to send out the following emails to volunteers:

                      For Youth Protection Training problems:

                      We note that you logged into MyScouting to take Youth Protection Training
                      during the last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course
                      not showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
                      completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
                      approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
                      above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
                      course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
                      "completed." The most expeditious way to "complete" the course is to go
                      straight to the test by clicking on the Test button located at the top of
                      the course introduction page.

                      We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you for
                      your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

                      For problems with all other trainings:

                      We note that you logged into MyScouting to take a training course during the
                      last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course not
                      showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
                      completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
                      approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
                      above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
                      course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
                      "completed." We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
                      Thank you for your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

                      If you are still having problems accessing online training certificates,
                      contact the National Office's help desk directly at 1-800-627-3025. Press
                      "1" at the first prompt.

                    • corinnajones@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
                        My son tried taking the Den Chief training, but either our wireless router
                        took a time-out or it's not working correctly. He did not make it beyond the
                        first few screens.
                        Well, it would be helpful for youth to be able to get credit for their
                        courses, including Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat, considering that
                        there are youth members who are lifeguards. Weather safety (not sure about
                        the course name right now) would not hurt to be taken by the SPL either.
                        YPT is also good for the 16+ crowd. Camp staff has to take it...
                        Corinna

                        > My GUESS is that the OLC is for adult learning activities, and this is an
                        > anachronism. They don't necessarily want the Boy Scouts to register for
                        > the
                        > OLC just to take Fast Start for Den Chiefs. But on the other hand, it may
                        > just be that they aren't done putting it in place yet.
                        >
                        > Back to the beginning post, and the Weather Hazards Training, a couple of
                        > months ago the head of the Cub Scout Division came to visit our Council
                        > committee meetings. He told the training committee that the Weather
                        > Hazards
                        > training would be required for a tour permit in January 2009, and that a
                        > new
                        > version of the tour permit would be released at that time with the
                        > information about Weather Haz training included.
                        >
                        > Teresa Hall
                        > Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
                        > Greater AL Council
                      • Lisa
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
                          It was S-L-O-W! And I have high speed internet.

                        • ed5870@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
                            In a message dated 7/6/2008 12:10:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            JNDunnMN@... writes:

                            I can't find the online Den Chief training. It is someplace other than the
                            online learning center?

                            Here is the link _http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html_
                            (http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html)

                            Ed Harvey
                            Training Chair Dutchess District
                            Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                            THE HEART OF SCOUTING IS TRAINING
                            Hudson Valley Council
                            I used to be an Antelope

                          • dmcdlgcs
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 14, 2008
                              Just when I thought I had passed on most of the info I found another...
                              Use BSAuniforms.org as a link to the ScoutStuff page and information on
                              the new Boy Scout uniforms. (I've been watching for it by going
                              directly to the ScoutStuff page and wasn't getting anywhere and it
                              didn't make sense).

                              The uniforms are rolling out August 2008 according to the link.

                              Dawn Gent
                              Training Coordinator - Cub Scouts
                              Wilmington, DE