New Items on BSA website

  • dmcdlgcs
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
      In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
      searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related items
      are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous Weather" e-
      learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
      permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
      Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
      uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
      training.

      Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
      District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!

      Happy website hunting!
      Dawn Gent
      Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
      Wilmington, DE
    • Ron and Ruth White
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
        Not sure when the on-line Youth Protection Training was revised, again, as I review it several times a year, but it really is becoming a lot better with true to life scenarios that contain multiple steps that you must navigate through. Although I didn't miss any questions at the end, it looks like there is a review of what questions a participant had answered incorrectly. I might take it again to find out how many questions you have to answer correctly to pass.

        Also I just finished taking the new Den Chief Training (thanks Dawn for pointing it out!) and printed a card which reflects it as a Fast Start Training (initial screen just says Den Chief Training). There is an opening statement that indicates this is the beginning of the steps needed to earn the Den Chief badge and cords, but I don't remember there are any specific things that need to be completed, other than be a First Class Scout and be appointed by your Troop to serve as a Den Chief. Am I missing something? Also when the training card pops up, it indicates additional things must be completed in order to wear the trained strip- but it doesn't elaborate. I assume it means attend the classroom training. Does anyone else have an opinion? We have a Den Chief Training scheduled for August and December. I think I'll suggest participants take the Fast Start before attending the classroom. Other than the redundant maize games, it looks to be really good introduction for the Scouts.

        Ruth White
        Buckeye District Training Chair
        Simon Kenton Council

        To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
          I can't find the online Den Chief training. It is someplace other than the
          online learning center?

          Pack Trainer, P. 512
          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
          3 Rivers District
          Scouting. Good for Life.

        • Ron and Ruth White
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
            It's not on the My BSA but can be found at the on-line learning center - http://olc.scouting.org/

            To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
              Why does one portal (MyScouting) do one thing and the another (the OLC) do
              another? My understanding was that the OLC would go away and MyScouting would
              provide access to the e-learning system. I am just baffled by the IT system
              sometimes.

              Pack Trainer, P. 512
              Cub Scout Training Coordinator
              3 Rivers District
              Scouting. Good for Life.

            • Teresa Hall
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
                My GUESS is that the OLC is for adult learning activities, and this is an
                anachronism. They don't necessarily want the Boy Scouts to register for the
                OLC just to take Fast Start for Den Chiefs. But on the other hand, it may
                just be that they aren't done putting it in place yet.

                Back to the beginning post, and the Weather Hazards Training, a couple of
                months ago the head of the Cub Scout Division came to visit our Council
                committee meetings. He told the training committee that the Weather Hazards
                training would be required for a tour permit in January 2009, and that a new
                version of the tour permit would be released at that time with the
                information about Weather Haz training included.

                Teresa Hall
                Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
                Greater AL Council

                On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM, <JNDunnMN@...> wrote:

                > Why does one portal (MyScouting) do one thing and the another (the OLC) do
                > another? My understanding was that the OLC would go away and MyScouting
                > would
                > provide access to the e-learning system. I am just baffled by the IT system
                > sometimes.
                >
                > YiS,
                > Jamie Niss Dunn
                > Pack Trainer, P. 512
                > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                > 3 Rivers District
                > Scouting. Good for Life.

                > fuel-efficient used cars. (
                > http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

              • nuts4scouts
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
                  Well, I not only learned about Den Chief Training, but I learned that
                  entering the OLC from BSA's home page, instead of going thru their
                  half done MyScouting portal is the best way to see any new trainings
                  there might be out there.

                  From what I can tell, since you do not have to register for OLC
                  anymore, the portal gives you access to both "for credit" and "not
                  for credit" trainings. You see the full complement of trainings but,
                  for the ones like Fast Start, that you will want to get credit for
                  taking, it transfers you to MyScouting. The other links take you
                  directly to the training.

                  BTW - the OLC also has Venturing Crew Orientation, and Generational
                  Diversity. Neither of these are available on MyScouting. I also
                  noticed that under Supplemental Training they have added Cub
                  Scout Commissioner Fast Start.

                  The BSA IT guys have really missed the boat on this part of their
                  site. After that survey asking how their Web site was doing I hoped
                  it would get better, not worse!

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

                  > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
                  > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
                  items
                  > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
                  Weather" e-
                  > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
                  > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
                  > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
                  > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
                  > training.
                  >
                  > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
                  > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
                  >
                  > Happy website hunting!
                  > Dawn Gent
                  > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
                  > Wilmington, DE

                • Dawn Gent
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                    I noticed the Youth Protection a couple of months ago when I checked it
                    out...I really think that it is a great program now and am sending most
                    people that way. The Cub Scout Fast Starts are also much improved. The
                    certificate thing continues to be an issue.

                    At the moment there is a gap in training material...The current Scoutmaster
                    Specifics does not include the Troop Leadership Training (or NAYLE or NYLT)
                    which is actual the training programs for training the youth leaders in
                    their positions (all of their positions!) and has been available for about 3
                    years. The TLT can actually be set up so that you can train the SPL then
                    assist him as he trains the other positions. On completion of the 3 Modules
                    of TLT training the boy can wear a trained patch below their position patch.
                    I like the structure of this training and the possibilities it offers - I
                    think too many times we expect the boys to know what to do from the job
                    description when we all know from real life that there is a BIG difference
                    between the job on paper and the actual job. Here is some more info:
                    http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/trainingmodules/youth%20leadership%20training%20continuum.aspx

                    Online copies of the training material ARE available (and I recommend it
                    because I thought the TLT especially was a rip-off for what you get).

                    Dawn

                    > Not sure when the on-line Youth Protection Training was revised, again, as
                    > I review it several times a year, but it really is becoming a lot better
                    > with true to life scenarios that contain multiple steps that you must
                    > navigate through. Although I didn't miss any questions at the end, it
                    > looks like there is a review of what questions a participant had answered
                    > incorrectly. I might take it again to find out how many questions you
                    > have to answer correctly to pass.
                    >
                    > Also I just finished taking the new Den Chief Training (thanks Dawn for
                    > pointing it out!) and printed a card which reflects it as a Fast Start
                    > Training (initial screen just says Den Chief Training). There is an
                    > opening statement that indicates this is the beginning of the steps needed
                    > to earn the Den Chief badge and cords, but I don't remember there are any
                    > specific things that need to be completed, other than be a First Class
                    > Scout and be appointed by your Troop to serve as a Den Chief. Am I
                    > missing something? Also when the training card pops up, it indicates
                    > additional things must be completed in order to wear the trained strip-
                    > but it doesn't elaborate. I assume it means attend the classroom
                    > training. Does anyone else have an opinion? We have a Den Chief Training
                    > scheduled for August and December. I think I'll suggest participants take
                    > the Fast Start before attending the classroom. Other than the redundant
                    > maize games, it looks to be really good introduction for the
                  • Todd Block
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                      What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
                      area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
                      have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
                      In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
                      only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
                      which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

                      Todd

                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

                      > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
                      > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
                      items
                      > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
                      Weather" e-
                      > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
                      > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
                      > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
                      > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
                      > training.
                      >
                      > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
                      > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
                      >
                      > Happy website hunting!
                      > Dawn Gent
                      > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
                      > Wilmington, DE

                    • Don Wilson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
                        ScoutNet you say? Even money that you are untrained.

                        Don Wilson
                        OHC 427

                        To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
                        From: "Todd Block" <ctablock@...>
                        Date sent: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:28:46 -0000
                        Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: New Items on BSA website
                        Send reply to: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com

                        What I find interesting is that the OLC and My Scouting E-Learning
                        area do not report the same results for completed courses. In one I
                        have all Cub Scout Fast starts completed, in the other I have none.
                        In one I have both Safe Swim and Saftey Afloat, in the other I have
                        only one. Whitout the cards, there is no way to know from the sites
                        which I have. I wonder which the Scout Net shows.

                        Todd

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "dmcdlgcs" <dlougent@...> wrote:

                        > In preparation for my next training session, I did quite a bit of
                        > searching on the BSA website. Some of the new training-related
                        items
                        > are: new adult and youth registration forms; new "Hazardous
                        Weather" e-
                        > learning course which, the site says is REQUIRED for getting a tour
                        > permit; and online "Den Chief Training".
                        > Also, watch your Scout shops for information in the new Boy Scout
                        > uniforms (Centennial uniforms) - I now have a flyer to use during
                        > training.
                        > > Also, if you have not done so, I recommend taking the "Staffing the
                        > District Committee" e-learning course. It was quite an eye-opener!
                        > > Happy website hunting!
                        > Dawn Gent
                        > Cub Scout Training Coordinator (and other things...)
                        > Wilmington, DE

                        -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
                      • Steven Powell
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
                          Hi Todd,

                          I've noticed the same problem you've identified. Let us remember that
                          National is at least trying to make good the online learning experience
                          regardless of where the effort may be on their "list of priorities" and/or
                          "abilities". Eventually they'll get the bugs out.let's hope so. In the
                          meantime the following post was sent to folks in the Capitol Area Council
                          (Austin, Texas) last month and may be of interest to this list.

                          Always in Service & Brotherhood,

                          Steve

                          Longs Peak Council

                          UPDATE: Online Training Problems

                          Several volunteer leaders have reported problems with the BSA's online
                          training over the last few days. The National Office has been working on
                          these problems, and plans to send out the following emails to volunteers:

                          For Youth Protection Training problems:

                          We note that you logged into MyScouting to take Youth Protection Training
                          during the last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course
                          not showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
                          completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
                          approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
                          above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
                          course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
                          "completed." The most expeditious way to "complete" the course is to go
                          straight to the test by clicking on the Test button located at the top of
                          the course introduction page.

                          We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you for
                          your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

                          For problems with all other trainings:

                          We note that you logged into MyScouting to take a training course during the
                          last few days. You may have experienced a problem with the course not
                          showing as completed and therefore not being able to print a course
                          completion certificate. We believe the problem was resolved at
                          approximately 12:00 pm Central Time Monday June 9. If you experienced the
                          above mentioned problem, you will need to once again complete the training
                          course in order to print a certificate and to change the course status
                          "completed." We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
                          Thank you for your service to the Boy Scouts of America.

                          If you are still having problems accessing online training certificates,
                          contact the National Office's help desk directly at 1-800-627-3025. Press
                          "1" at the first prompt.

                        • corinnajones@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
                            My son tried taking the Den Chief training, but either our wireless router
                            took a time-out or it's not working correctly. He did not make it beyond the
                            first few screens.
                            Well, it would be helpful for youth to be able to get credit for their
                            courses, including Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat, considering that
                            there are youth members who are lifeguards. Weather safety (not sure about
                            the course name right now) would not hurt to be taken by the SPL either.
                            YPT is also good for the 16+ crowd. Camp staff has to take it...
                            Corinna

                            > My GUESS is that the OLC is for adult learning activities, and this is an
                            > anachronism. They don't necessarily want the Boy Scouts to register for
                            > the
                            > OLC just to take Fast Start for Den Chiefs. But on the other hand, it may
                            > just be that they aren't done putting it in place yet.
                            >
                            > Back to the beginning post, and the Weather Hazards Training, a couple of
                            > months ago the head of the Cub Scout Division came to visit our Council
                            > committee meetings. He told the training committee that the Weather
                            > Hazards
                            > training would be required for a tour permit in January 2009, and that a
                            > new
                            > version of the tour permit would be released at that time with the
                            > information about Weather Haz training included.
                            >
                            > Teresa Hall
                            > Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
                            > Greater AL Council
                          • Lisa
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 12, 2008
                              It was S-L-O-W! And I have high speed internet.

                            • ed5870@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 13, 2008
                                In a message dated 7/6/2008 12:10:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                JNDunnMN@... writes:

                                I can't find the online Den Chief training. It is someplace other than the
                                online learning center?

                                Here is the link _http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html_
                                (http://olc.scouting.org/courses/dc/base.html)

                                Ed Harvey
                                Training Chair Dutchess District
                                Every Cub Scout deserves a Trained Leader
                                THE HEART OF SCOUTING IS TRAINING
                                Hudson Valley Council
                                I used to be an Antelope

                              • dmcdlgcs
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 14, 2008
                                  Just when I thought I had passed on most of the info I found another...
                                  Use BSAuniforms.org as a link to the ScoutStuff page and information on
                                  the new Boy Scout uniforms. (I've been watching for it by going
                                  directly to the ScoutStuff page and wasn't getting anywhere and it
                                  didn't make sense).

                                  The uniforms are rolling out August 2008 according to the link.

                                  Dawn Gent
                                  Training Coordinator - Cub Scouts
                                  Wilmington, DE