Re: [Scouter_T] Softcopy Syllabi

  • Michael Crothers
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 19, 2008
      go Baltimore Area Council Web page, then to Arrowhead district.

      Select Training and you will find many training syllabus including the old Baloo and the new Cub Scout Specific.

      Yours In Scouting

      Mike Crothers

      Assistant District Commissioner
      Spanish Trails District
      Catalina Council

      and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
      and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
        Thank you Mike.
        I am very much impressed with the quality of the new CS Specific.It is
        certainly worth the wait. I have been doing this training stuff since
        1965 and this is, by far, the best I have seen.

        Ted Rohling and Sam Thompson ( and others I suppose) certainly deserve
        bravos for making it happen and for the excellent quality. I hope all
        district training teams start using it as quickly as is practicable..

        bill smith
        The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
        ......get his parents involved!
        http://wtsmith.com/rt.html

        Michael Crothers wrote:

        > go Baltimore Area Council Web page, then to Arrowhead district.
        >
        > Select Training and you will find many training syllabus including the
        > old Baloo and the new Cub Scout Specific.
        >
        > _._,___
      • Michael Crothers
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
          That may be, but it is going to create great difficulties in my council.

          They only have 2 digital projectors, 1 TV/DVD set up, and one overhead projector, and no money to get any more of them.

          We may be force to do group training on copies of the slides at somewhere from $0.03 to $0.05 cents a page wthat we will have to charge the trainee.

          Currently we do not charge for basic training, I guess that will change now.

          Michael Crothers wrote:

          > go Baltimore Area Council Web page, then to Arrowhead district.
          >
          > Select Training and you will find many training syllabus including the
          > old Baloo and the new Cub Scout Specific.
          >
          > _._,___

        • Teresa Hall
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
            I'm planning to make flip charts for the breakout modules that I run, and
            use a digital projector for Intro to Cub Scouting and How We Have Fun, but
            only when I anticipate bigger crowds.

            Frankly, we needed more than one TV/VCR to do the training the way it was
            written before (with the video integrated into the sessions). Now, with no
            video to show, we're in much better shape in terms of equipment. Lots of
            flexibility!

            We're running our first session on July 13 for one pack, and only doing one
            of the breakout sessions (at their request). Unless my co-trainer has a
            digital projector available, I anticipate doing all 3 modules via flipchart.
            It's only about a dozen folks.

            I'm with you, Bill. I think the new training closes a lot of gaps in the
            prior syllabus, gets rid of the awful redundancies in level-by-level
            training, and can be fun and flexible to deliver. Put me down on the "plus"
            side!

            Teresa Hall
            Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
            SR-889 Scoutmaster "Carry the Spark"
            Greater AL Council

            On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...>
            wrote:

            > That may be, but it is going to create great difficulties in my council.
            >
            > They only have 2 digital projectors, 1 TV/DVD set up, and one overhead
            > projector, and no money to get any more of them.
            >
            > We may be force to do group training on copies of the slides at somewhere
            > from $0.03 to $0.05 cents a page wthat we will have to charge the trainee.
            >
            > Currently we do not charge for basic training, I guess that will change
            > now.
            >
            > Yours In Scouting
            >

            > Mike Crothers
            >

            > Assistant District Commissioner
            > Spanish Trails District
            > Catalina Council

            > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

          • Jamie Niss Dunn
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
              <<I am very much impressed with the quality of the new CS Specific.It is
              certainly worth the wait. I have been doing this training stuff since
              1965 and this is, by far, the best I have seen.>>
              Wow, Bill that's good to hear. This is only the third version of the syllabus I've worked with. I have some old materials which predate my joining in 1990, which I purchased off eBay, but have only perused them for historical value. It is encouraging to hear this from someone who has worked with versions older than I have.

              We are looking forward to teaching this new material.

              Pack Trainer, Pack 512
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Cub Scout Training Coordinator
              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
              3 Rivers District
              Scouting. Good for Life.

            • Jamie Niss Dunn
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
                >They only have 2 digital projectors, 1 TV/DVD set up, and one overhead projector, and no money to >get any more of them.

                We typically do our training at churches or schools who have this equipment available for us to borrow. Perhaps that is an option for you.? Others have discussed making flip charts out of the slides, so they can use the material without electronic equipment.

                Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                3 Rivers District
                Scouting. Good for Life.

              • bill smith
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
                  I haven't gone through all the sessions yet in detail but several things
                  have caught my eye.

                  1. The content stays true to the Mission Statement in that just about
                  everything contributes to helping Cub Scout leaders do their prime jobs.
                  This gives the training a cohesiveness often missing in prior training.

                  2. The Objectives seem to be attainable, somewhat measurable and
                  relevant. In the past, most training objectives were none of these and
                  some were down-right silly.

                  3. Ted R. has been able to make the interactive sessions without
                  resorting to new or exotic methods. He employs simple, straight
                  forward techniques that should easily fit most trainers abilities. A
                  very professional job! Wood Badge folks could learn a lot from this
                  approach.

                  I expected a good job from this group but thy have exceeded all my
                  expectations.

                  bill smith
                  The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
                  ......get his parents involved!
                  http://wtsmith.com/rt.html

                • corinnajones@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
                    Hi all,
                    Is there a syllabus available for National Camp School? I am interested in
                    the materials for EcoCon directors.
                    Thanks,
                    Corinna
                  • Michael Crothers
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
                      Making flip charts for each slide is a lot of work, there are 274 slides.

                      To do the 6 separate session going on at the same time you will need some sort of combination of 6 projectors (w/ personal PC), TV / DVD player,
                      Overhead projectors, or flip charts.

                      Most churches have only one TV/DVD player and maybe one overhead projector

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
                        >Making flip charts for each slide is a lot of work, there are 274 slides.
                        Actually, I was thinking of making them at Kinko's - they have these big plotters that should be able to print the slides on poster size paper.?It would be an expense, but one we could cover through fees, etc. I would think that a council?which really wanted this training well presented would attempt to obtain a gift-in-kind, if the council training committee thought it important.

                        We tend to use churches w/schools or mega churches for our trainings - they have many more than one TV/DVD combo. And the council owns three or four portable ones that we can check out, so we don't seem to have the challenges you do.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 20, 2008
                          I'm sure there is, but I think it's only distributed to those who are teaching. It's not something most of us would have access to.

                          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                          3 Rivers District
                          Scouting. Good for Life.

                        • Brant Lippincott
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 27, 2008
                            With the talk of "softcopy", I was wondering if anyone had a softcopy of the new BALOO syllabus??
                            On the new LST, I work about 3 miles from the NATIONAL office.  You would think that the Scoutfitter there would have the new LST syllabus, but they don't - SO, I called National Supply...  It's been pulled until they fix the DVD (the person I spoke with called it a "CD").  Supposed to be next week.
                            So, I'll have to find somewhere to print 175 pages (or so)...  I need to get moving on how we will implement this.  September 27 will be here very quick.  The day after tomorrow - or so it will seem.
                            Kinkos or the Office stores are a bit expensive --175 pages @ .08  = $14.
                            I'd do it in MY office, but PDFs take FOREVER and we have a busy printer...
                            Any other ideas??
                            Brant Lippincott
                            Cub Training Chair
                            Great Plains Distirct - Circle 10 Council
                            DFW, Texas

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 27, 2008
                              Brant -
                              Here in Capitol Area Council (Austin), I'm always encouraged to have the Council office run copies for me.  Apparently, it costs them $0.03 per page.  My difficulty has been in getting my DE to run the copies double-sided.
                              My training date is also 9/27, and I agree it will be here very quickly!
                              Trish