Re: New CS Position Specific Training syllabus

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
      The First 2 general sessions, Introduction to Cub Scouting & How We
      Have Fun are 45 minutes each. The 6 position specific sessions are 90
      minutes, run concurrently.

      During the first session the participants earn an honorary Bobcat
      award, which is presented at the end of the 2nd session. The Training
      cards and any local completion certificates are presented at the end
      of the leader specific sessions.

      Having the leader specific sessions being at the end makes it easier
      for leaders who have been trained in another Cub Scout Leader position
      to only attend the position specific portion and not repeat the other
      portions. This format also makes it easier to run the program over 2
      separate nights (1-1/2 hours each), instead of only in one 3 hour setting.

      I like how the syllabus encourages trainers to add pizazz like you
      would in a Pack or Den Meeting.

      BTW, BSA is aware that the pages in the video are out of order. They
      are correcting the problem and will be sending replacement DVDs to the
      districts. The other suggestion I had for them was to add additional
      links on the man page to point directly to the start of each session.
      That way the Pack Trainer facilitator does not have to page through
      the first 226 slides to get to the start of the Pack Trainer session.

      The new course will continue to rely on experienced Scouter to be
      trainers, to bring their knowledge to enhance the material. I like to
      the format changes. They used the idea of being in a Pack Meeting for
      the first 2 sessions, and Den Meetings for the leader specific
      sessions, kind of like Wood Badge does with Troop / Patrol sessions.
      The syllabus shows a picture of each slide and indicates what needs to
      be presented for that slide, in our own words.

      I look forward to the opportunity to actually present this course with
      a live audience.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken

      > Al - a further question. Can you give us the order of the sessions
      and their running times? I'm trying to set up our web site?listings
      for this fall.