Re: Baloo, Webelos Leader skills, and IOLS

  • kelly-parker@cox.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2008
      First, Baloo is designed to teach members of a Pack Committee how to set up and hold a successful outdoor experience for the Pack. The outcome should be that parents and Cubs who have little or no camping experience can join in the fun and a Pack campout with those who may have a lot of experience. It is a course intended to help Packs carry out a successful outdoor program, including exciting campfire experiences and games. Note the use of the word "Pack".
      Second, Webelos Leader Outdoor Skills is designed to teach the Webelos Den Leader the basics required to lead and instruct the Outdoorsman, Naturalist, Forester, etc. it is specifically set up to be able to share staff with the Intro to Outdoor Leader Skill class presented for new Boy Scout Leaders. It has different time for the breakouts and allows time to help Webelos leaders learn how to set up meetings and activities around the different Activity Pins. Webelos is still planned and conducted primarily by the adult leaders, so it is important to give them the resources needed to demonstrate and conduct activities for the boys.
      For Scout leaders, IOLS presents the skills needed by a Boy Scout to achieve the rank of First Class. The goal here is that the adult leader should be familiar with all the requirements and what they look like so that they will be able to coach and support Scouts as they teach these skill to new boys.
      So--3 different courses for 3 different purposes. Can they share staff? Sure. Can parts of one be inserted into another? Possibly. Can one be considered a replacement for the other? No.
      Just as Scouting has different programs for each age and stage, there is different training designed for the different roles and responsibilities of the adults at each level. When training, it is not so much the content that requires the focus, but the purpose of the training itself. Let the purpose drive your planning, and it becomes clear what eneds to be taught.
      YiS--
      Kelly Parker
      Grand Canyon Council
      "I used to be a lot of things, and every time I show up I get volunteered for more!"