Re: [Scouter_T] Re: BALOO vs OLS-WL vs IOLS

  • ed5870@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 9 4:31 PM
      I strongly disagree I run both courses and the intent and teaching is miles
      apart. National specifically forbids it and if you want to give your leaders a
      good balanced program do not combine them.

      In a message dated 6/9/2008 5:02:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      brant@... writes:

      I respectfully disagree on a point here....
      The original BALOO sylabus was created when the OWL course was generally not
      being taught. At that time, the only thing that anyone MIGHT even think of
      trying to combine would be IOLS.
      I think that if you review the material presented in the BALOO and OWL
      courses you wil find that there is a great deal of overlap on the "skills"
      sections: tents, campsite selection, stoves, lanters, fires, food prep, etc. I see
      NO reason why these cannot be combined sessions with the BALOO & OWL people
      both present.
      The sections dealing with what you do on a campout are quite different. For
      example, the Webelos activity badges are not of interest to the BALOO people
      and "Large Group Games" would not be of interest to the Webelos leaders.
      We've been running the course this way for several years now and find that
      it works really well.
      Personally, I think the syllabus comes well short when it talks about
      combining with IOLS. For example, there is a section on "Fire Site Preparation &
      Building". The syllabus has 20 minutes combined and another 20 minutes for
      just the Webelos Leaders. It makes NO mention of what parts to cover together
      and what to cover for the Webelos Leaders. I can't fathom what you would
      spend an extra 20 minutes on with the Webelos Leaders.
      Just MY thoughts... YMMV
      For the Boys,
      Brant Lippincott
      Cub Training Chair