Re: New syllabus

  • Bill Nelson
    Message 1 of 10 , May 23, 2008
      Any other training changing?

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Oakman" <bsafox@...> wrote:

      > from here at the National Meeting, New Cub Specific Syllabus sent to
      > Councils this week....
      >
      > finally.. it really looks great....

    • Sandra Martens
      Message 2 of 10 , May 23, 2008
        I heard there's a new BALOO syllabus out.

        sandy oWL

        Bill Nelson <bnelson45@...> wrote:
        Any other training changing?

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Oakman" <bsafox@...> wrote:

        > from here at the National Meeting, New Cub Specific Syllabus sent to
        > Councils this week....
        >
        > finally.. it really looks great....

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 10 , May 23, 2008
          Our Program Director picked up a copy a couple of weeks ago. I asked
          my Pack Awards Chair to pick up one when he was getting stuff for our
          Pack Meeting next week. I look forward to seeing it.

          Beyond the new uniform, any other changes mentioned in the Scouting
          program?

          Yours in Scouting,
          Ken
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Martens <sandyowl1@...> wrote:

          > I heard there's a new BALOO syllabus out.
          >
          > sandy oWL
        • albormuth
          Message 4 of 10 , May 26, 2008
            I've been going through it,

            The DVD that accompanies it was designed to run on a DVD-TV combo
            and though a nice idea has an ordering problem with the slides.
            slide 1 then 10 then 100 then 101 then 102 etc. This jumps you
            out of the intro session, into another, then into another skipping
            many slides (which eventually will show up, many slides out of order)

            There is a PDF of the slides on the disk that will work for
            presentations, open the disk on your PC with the EXPLORE option
            (or "Open folder to View Contents using Windows Explorer" if
            you have autoplay enabled),
            open the "34875 DVD-ROM Contents" folder,
            and the file name is 34875_2008_Slides.pdf

            -al
          • Jamie Niss Dunn
            Message 5 of 10 , May 26, 2008
              Sounds like the DVD burner used?an ASCII sort,rather than a numerical one.

              Any feedback on the content. Does it look like it will do a better job of orienting new leaders to the hands on parts of the job?

              Pack Trainer, Pack 512
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Cub Scout Training Coordinator
              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
              3 Rivers District
              Scouting. Good for Life.

            • albormuth
              Message 6 of 10 , May 26, 2008
                I think it will allow the trainer to do a much better job orienting
                new (and old) leaders to the hands-on parts, seems to have lots
                of participation and exercises. And yes, it seems to be very
                specific job related. A lot of it will depend on the
                Trainer, there are no video-crutches and the trainer can't just
                get up and 'read the slides'. I'd really like to reserve judgement
                until after we've put on a few and get some feedback from the
                participants. It's obvious to me that people put a lot of thought,
                time and effort into the project and (except for the dvd-tv), did
                and excellent job.

                And yes, someone appearently did a mass-insert into a dvd slide
                show creator and ooooops, didn't review the result. The .pdf
                will do just fine with much better quality than is possible with
                a dvd-tv combo.

                -al
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Niss Dunn <JNDunnMN@...>
                wrote:

                > Sounds like the DVD burner used?an ASCII sort,rather than a
                numerical one.

                > Any feedback on the content. Does it look like it will do a better
                job of orienting new leaders to the hands on parts of the job?

                > YiS,
                > Jamie Niss Dunn
                > Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                > Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                > Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                > 3 Rivers District
                > Scouting. Good for Life.

              • Jamie Niss Dunn
                Message 7 of 10 , May 26, 2008
                  Al - a further question. Can you give us the order of the sessions and their running times? I'm trying to set up our web site?listings for this fall.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                    The First 2 general sessions, Introduction to Cub Scouting & How We
                    Have Fun are 45 minutes each. The 6 position specific sessions are 90
                    minutes, run concurrently.

                    During the first session the participants earn an honorary Bobcat
                    award, which is presented at the end of the 2nd session. The Training
                    cards and any local completion certificates are presented at the end
                    of the leader specific sessions.

                    Having the leader specific sessions being at the end makes it easier
                    for leaders who have been trained in another Cub Scout Leader position
                    to only attend the position specific portion and not repeat the other
                    portions. This format also makes it easier to run the program over 2
                    separate nights (1-1/2 hours each), instead of only in one 3 hour setting.

                    I like how the syllabus encourages trainers to add pizazz like you
                    would in a Pack or Den Meeting.

                    BTW, BSA is aware that the pages in the video are out of order. They
                    are correcting the problem and will be sending replacement DVDs to the
                    districts. The other suggestion I had for them was to add additional
                    links on the man page to point directly to the start of each session.
                    That way the Pack Trainer facilitator does not have to page through
                    the first 226 slides to get to the start of the Pack Trainer session.

                    The new course will continue to rely on experienced Scouter to be
                    trainers, to bring their knowledge to enhance the material. I like to
                    the format changes. They used the idea of being in a Pack Meeting for
                    the first 2 sessions, and Den Meetings for the leader specific
                    sessions, kind of like Wood Badge does with Troop / Patrol sessions.
                    The syllabus shows a picture of each slide and indicates what needs to
                    be presented for that slide, in our own words.

                    I look forward to the opportunity to actually present this course with
                    a live audience.

                    Yours in Scouting,
                    Ken