Re: [Scouter_T]EDGE concept (Was: New CS Leader Training)

  • Dan Kurtenbach
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24 1:09 PM
      [Leslie wrote:]
      In my opinion, anyone attending the Trainers' Workshop needs to have
      attended 21st Century Wood Badge. The EDGE concept is not explained, it is
      assumed to be understood.
      [/Leslie]

      Well, maybe I missed something important at Wood Badge (I wouldn't be surprised), but it didn't seem to me like there is really much to explain about EDGE -- it is just a simple approach to teaching, whether a simple skill (kinda like "watch one -- do one -- teach one") or a more complex project or activity:

      Explain -- tell the students what they are going to learn, how it works, the steps involved
      Demonstrate -- show the students how to do it, walk them through the steps
      Guide -- let the students try it and practice it with the teacher providing support, guidance, and encouragement
      Enable -- once the skill is mastered, give the students the freedom to use it and work with it on their own

      Dan Kurtenbach
      Fairfax, VA