Grumpy Old Leaders

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2008
      Let's face it, as an adult leader in Scouting there are times when you can get pretty feed up
      with things and become rather grumpy. We have all been there. We have all done that.
      Some more then others.

      PTC Media, the net-site of Scouting related podcasts, features such shows as The Leader's
      Campfire (audio), An Hour A Week (audio), and Melrose Scouting Productions Podcast
      (video). This past week they have added one more show to their line up - Grumpy Old
      Leaders (audio).

      Grumpy Old Leaders is an audio podcast that has been talked about for a few months. The
      first show was finally posted on Wednesday, April 9. The podcast will feature adult
      Scouters, both from Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting, who are cubmasters, scoutmasters,
      committee members, and unit commissioners. The show will be an outlet for adults to
      discuss the things they are finding difficult within their Scouting programs, things they
      find frustrating. It is not a show meant for Scout-age ears.

      During the last few months I have found myself become a co-host for The Leader's
      Campfire, since Bob, the regular co-host, needed to take a leave of absence. I have had a
      great time doing the podcast with Cubmaster Chris. During the last two months we have
      been discussing creating the Grumpy Old Leader podcast as a way to cover things that did
      not fit well into The Leader's Campfire format.

      Well, that first Gumpy hour-long episode has now been posted, and to tell you the truth, it
      has done pretty well. It seems to have hit a spot with a lot of people who were waiting for
      this type of show. In fact, when we recorded our second show last Friday, Chris and I were
      shocked, and pleasantly surprised, to discover other leaders who wanted to be a part of
      the show. By the time we ended the recording session we had five other leaders from
      around the country joining us, and three more hour-long shows almost ready to go.
      (Watch for them in the next few weeks.)

      It will be interesting to watch as this show develops. Chris and I really did not have a clue
      what to do with a format for the show, or even if the show should have one. We did not
      even know if anyone would listen to it. Well, it looks like it might become a popular PTC
      Media podcast, and we already have several more topics to discus in future episodes. Be
      sure to check it out and let us know what you think about it. Feedback will be important to
      this podcast's development.

      Check out all the PTC Media podcasts at http://www.ptcmedia.net/
      or on iTunes at
      http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=220050583