WB Patrol Names

  • DRD Unit Commissioner
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 9, 2008
      I'm attending WB next and was wondering who or how the patrol names are chosen. My husband is deceased, so I don't have to worry about critter bashing--I joined to provide my sons with male role models.

      The Scout Lady

    • Will Strother
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
        Course participants do not have a choice of patrols/names. Patrols are formed
        based on the participants with diversity in mind.

        Yours In Scouting!

        Will Strother
        Pack 518 - Committee Chair

        SR-830 ... used to be a Buffalo
        SR-909 ... and a good ole Staffer too!

      • NeilLup@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
          In a message dated 4/10/08 9:09:55 AM, unit.commissioner@... writes:

          > I'm attending WB next and was wondering who or how the patrol names are
          > chosen. My husband is deceased, so I don't have to worry about critter bashing--I
          > joined to provide my sons with male role models.
          >
          > The Scout Lady

          There is a mystical and secret process which occurs. If you would find out
          about it, very bad things would happen. :)

          Somewhat more seriously, the staff assigns participants to patrols based on
          balance, reasonable diversity, perhaps travel times and areas, etc.
          The name of the patrol is assigned somewhat at random from the standard list
          Beaver, Bobwhite,Eagle,Fox,Owl,Bear,Buffalo,Antelope. In some areas, the
          list is worked through in order, so that there are only Antelopes in a large
          course. In others, the list is used randomly.

          Sometimes, a patrol name is assigned because of the characteristics of one
          or more patrol members -- Bear, Buffalo, Eagle, Beaver, Fox. But most
          commonly, it is just a random assignment of name once the patrols are put
          together.

          Best wishes,

          Neil Lupton

        • Alan Smason
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
            Neil,
            You wrote: "Sometimes, a patrol name is assigned because of the
            characteristics of one or more patrol members -- Bear, Buffalo, Eagle,
            Beaver, Fox."
            Hmmmm....I noticed you inadvertently left out the sublime, all-knowing
            and peaceful Bobwhite.

            Sublimely, all-knowingly, and peacefully yours,

            Alan Smason
            Bodacious Bobwhite (NE-II-126)
            > I'm attending WB next and was wondering who or how the patrol names are
            > chosen. My husband is deceased, so I don't have to worry about critter
            bashing--I
            > joined to provide my sons with male role models.
            >
            > The Scout Lady

            There is a mystical and secret process which occurs. If you would find out
            about it, very bad things would happen. :)

            Somewhat more seriously, the staff assigns participants to patrols based
            on
            balance, reasonable diversity, perhaps travel times and areas, etc.
            The name of the patrol is assigned somewhat at random from the standard
            list
            Beaver, Bobwhite,Eagle,Fox,Owl,Bear,Buffalo,Antelope. In some areas, the
            list is worked through in order, so that there are only Antelopes in a
            large
            course. In others, the list is used randomly.

            Sometimes, a patrol name is assigned because of the characteristics of one
            or more patrol members -- Bear, Buffalo, Eagle, Beaver, Fox. But most
            commonly, it is just a random assignment of name once the patrols are put
            together.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton

          • eagle9252
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
              bobwhites are for food......... sorry i had to.

              here they do it as stated mostly if you are the only group of people from a
              district and all the other people are 30 miles away then they will keep you
              together. as to how they pick the number that is top secret. but my troop
              guide was chosen for the eagle because here e-mail was eaglemom**

              On 4/10/08, Alan Smason <asmason@...> wrote:

              > Neil,
              > You wrote: "Sometimes, a patrol name is assigned because of the
              > characteristics of one or more patrol members -- Bear, Buffalo, Eagle,
              > Beaver, Fox."
              > Hmmmm....I noticed you inadvertently left out the sublime, all-knowing
              > and peaceful Bobwhite.
              >
              > Sublimely, all-knowingly, and peacefully yours,
              >
              > Alan Smason
              > Bodacious Bobwhite (NE-II-126)

            • Teresa Hall
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                You know, I interpreted The Scout Lady's question differently than most, so
                in case this is what she REALLY wants to know...

                Wood Badge is taught around the world. In each country, the patrol names
                represent animals native to that country. I'm not an expert on critter names
                in other countries, and didn't Google well enough to find an answer, but I
                believe Great Britain uses a Raven Patrol, for example.

                Teresa Hall
                SR-889 Scoutmaster
                Greater Alabama Council

              • NeilLup@aol.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                  In a message dated 4/10/08 10:56:50 AM, WarEagle78@... writes:

                  > You know, I interpreted The Scout Lady's question differently than most, so
                  > in case this is what she REALLY wants to know...
                  >
                  > Wood Badge is taught around the world. In each country, the patrol names
                  > represent animals native to that country. I'm not an expert on critter names
                  > in other countries, and didn't Google well enough to find an answer, but I
                  > believe Great Britain uses a Raven Patrol, for example.
                  >
                  > Teresa Hall
                  > SR-889 Scoutmaster
                  > Greater Alabama Council

                  We had a staff member one year from Norway. His patrol had been the
                  Woodpeckers and he sang "I used to be a Packer."

                  We also had a visitor from Haiti once. You don't want to know what his
                  patrol was. :)

                  Best wishes,

                  Neil LUpton

                • Alan Smason
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                    Teresa,
                    You are absolutely correct. In fact, the Raven patrol was one of the
                    first four named by Baden-Powell at Brownsea (Curlews, Bulls and Wolves were
                    the other three).
                    As I have been told, the Raven Patrol was used in U.S. Wood Badge
                    courses for several years, but the present slate of eight names (Beaver,
                    Bobwhite, Eagle, Fox, Owl, Bear, Antelope and Buffalo) has (more or less)
                    become standardized. Sadly, the name of Raven (with very few exceptions) is
                    used in the BSA nevermore.

                    With apologies to Edgar Allan Poe,

                    Alan Smason
                    New Orleans, LA
                    "I used to be a Bobwhite (NE-II-126)..."
                    "I used to be a staffer (SR-753)..."

                    wrote:

                    > Course participants do not have a choice of patrols/names. Patrols are
                    > formed
                    > based on the participants with diversity in mind.
                    >
                    > Yours In Scouting!
                    >
                    > Will Strother
                    > Pack 518 - Committee Chair
                    >
                    > SR-830 ... used to be a Buffalo
                    > SR-909 ... and a good ole Staffer too!

                  • Randy Sessions
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                      In England they also use Wood Pigeons. We used it for one of our courses
                      several years ago in honor of a British Scouter who is now in our council,
                      we felt sorry for him as the only one who would sing for that critter. We
                      didn't want him to sing alone!

                      Randy Sessions

                      You know, I interpreted The Scout Lady's question differently than most,
                      so
                      in case this is what she REALLY wants to know...

                      Wood Badge is taught around the world. In each country, the patrol names
                      represent animals native to that country. I'm not an expert on critter
                      names
                      in other countries, and didn't Google well enough to find an answer, but I
                      believe Great Britain uses a Raven Patrol, for example.

                      Teresa Hall
                      SR-889 Scoutmaster
                      Greater Alabama Council

                      On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Will Strother <wstrothe@...
                      <mailto:wstrothe%40bellsouth.net> >
                      wrote:

                      > Course participants do not have a choice of patrols/names. Patrols are
                      > formed
                      > based on the participants with diversity in mind.
                      >
                      > Yours In Scouting!
                      >
                      > Will Strother
                      > Pack 518 - Committee Chair
                      >
                      > SR-830 ... used to be a Buffalo
                      > SR-909 ... and a good ole Staffer too!

                    • Sean Scott
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                        On Apr 10, 2008, at 7:56 AM, Teresa Hall wrote:

                        > I believe Great Britain uses a Raven Patrol, for example.

                        In the "old days" of Wood Badge Classic, you could have a Raven
                        patrol, as well as Wolf and several others here in the US, since
                        course size was not limited. Our council has run (in the past) courses
                        with over 100 participants. Somehow, that just doesn't sound like fun
                        to me.

                        We have a gentleman in our council who took Wood Badge in SE Asia, I
                        believe it was either Malaysia or the Philippines, and he was a
                        monkey. During the Wood Badge song, he sings a verse completely
                        different from what we here in the West sing. Of course, he also jumps
                        up on the table and acts the monkey while doing it, and he is a bit of
                        a character, so I don't know how serious it is, but we all do look
                        forward to his presence at reunion dinners.

                        I also know people who've taken WB around the world and have odd
                        critters. I know a Bull and a Tiger, which I believe were all central
                        Asian, as well as a Hawk, a Raccoon, and a Badger, which I think were
                        European, and a Lion, which was African. I met a Salmon at Jamboree
                        (Canada I think), and I know a Shark (I believe he was from the S.
                        Pacific) and an Orca. I don't remember where the Orca was from, but I
                        want to say Japan.

                        Finally, I know a gentleman in another council who claims to be a
                        Porcupine. Now, I've never seen a porcupine patrol badge to prove it,
                        and I think it's a running joke, because his "used to be" part was "I
                        used to be a prick," but then maybe it's a cultural thing here in the
                        US and elsewhere that's not considered off-color. Similar to Neil's
                        Norwegian Woodpecker friend. I believe he took WB while in the
                        military and stationed in Africa.

                        As to the purposefulness of putting people together in patrols, there
                        is a method, at least among our course directors.

                        Certain people who are close to staff members may be assigned to
                        specific patrols in order to be "brothers/sisters" to other folks in
                        their district, unit, or staff. Participants sometimes request a
                        particular critter, and though it rarely happens, that request is
                        sometimes granted, though usually more by random chance than any
                        other. More than one person has ended up in the patrol named in their
                        cry of "I'll be anything but a _____."

                        But the truest gauge of patrol assignment is diversity. We try to
                        "distribute" the Cub Scout leaders, Venturing leaders, and Varsity
                        folks evenly, as well as men and women. Similarly, we try to even out
                        the experience in each patrol so that there are a range of tenure from
                        new to old, keep folks from the same unit apart, even out by age, and
                        so on. It's an art, believe me.

                        We're also careful to keep "troublemakers" apart, and put them with
                        participants (and staff) that can handle them and their unique
                        dynamic. By troublemakers, I mean people that vocally state that
                        they're there because they were forced to, or who we perceive as being
                        on course simply to get their beads. Our objective is always to help
                        them "see the light" and have an experience that will change their
                        mind about WB.

                        And, in the event that there isn't a "full" course, the patrols that
                        are selected will be representative of the staff critters. We went a
                        really long time here without a Fox patrol, and Bears are rare, too.
                        Bobwhites, bless them, are in strong supply (and I might add delicious
                        when roasted over a spit), as are Eagles and Owls. I'm a Buffalo,
                        which are pretty common, along with Beaver and Antelope. And since I
                        picked on the Bobwhites (who are actually pretty good sports about it
                        all) I'll remind everyone that "When the chips are down, the Buffalo
                        are empty."

                        YiS,
                        Sean

                        A Buffalo, Staffer, honorary Owl, honorary Eagle, and honorary Bobwhite.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                          We are small but mighty.....

                          eagle9252 <eagle9252@...> wrote:
                          bobwhites are for food......... sorry i had to.

                          connie

                        • NeilLup@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                            Hello Alan,

                            Being a proud loquacious Bob White myself, my omission was not accidental.

                            Frankly, while there are persons whose personality is deemed to resemble a
                            Bear, or an Owl, or a Beaver or a Buffalo or whom, for other reasons,
                            might be considered a Fox, I know of no one who prior to Wood Badge was
                            considered to be a Bob White. With the exception of one gentleman who a number
                            of years ago was awarded the Silver Antelope by the Northeast Region whose name
                            was -- Robert White.

                            Their loss. We are lovers and not fighters, proud contributors to the
                            food chain. We will overcome by being prolific.

                            Best wishes,

                            Neil Lupton

                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                              You make this Sister Bob White sing with pride.........!!

                              NeilLup@... wrote: Hello Alan,

                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                                Food! Hah! I dare say they have to catch me first!

                                On the wing,

                                Alan Smason
                                Breaknecking Bodacious Bobwhite
                                Being a proud loquacious Bob White myself, my omission was not accidental.

                                Frankly, while there are persons whose personality is deemed to resemble a
                                Bear, or an Owl, or a Beaver or a Buffalo or whom, for other reasons,
                                might be considered a Fox, I know of no one who prior to Wood Badge was
                                considered to be a Bob White. With the exception of one gentleman who a
                                number
                                of years ago was awarded the Silver Antelope by the Northeast Region whose
                                name
                                was -- Robert White.

                                Their loss. We are lovers and not fighters, proud contributors to the
                                food chain. We will overcome by being prolific.

                                Best wishes,

                                Neil Lupton

                                In a message dated 4/10/08 10:03:46 AM, asmason@... writes:

                                > Neil,
                                > You wrote: "Sometimes, a patrol name is assigned because of the
                                > characteristics of one or more patrol members -- Bear, Buffalo, Eagle,
                                > Beaver, Fox."
                                > Hmmmm....I noticed you inadvertently left out the sublime, all-knowing
                                > and peaceful Bobwhite.
                                >
                                > Sublimely, all-knowingly, and peacefully yours,
                                >
                                > Alan Smason
                                > Bodacious Bobwhite (NE-II-126

                              • Don Wilson
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                                  I am happy to report that Raven is used often and with great respect
                                  in our council. Our camp, 3,200 acres of beauty in Low Gap, NC, near
                                  Mt. Airy, is called Raven Knob Scout Reservation. The mascot is
                                  Rowdy Raven. A program at summe camp which serves better than 4,000
                                  scouts during 7 weeks of operation which is named Raven Scout, which
                                  helps the new scouts complete most of Tenderfoot, and Second Class
                                  requirements plus Totin' Chip. We for older scouts we have Senior
                                  Raven which concentrates on First Class Requirements.

                                  Our newsletter is THE RAVEN.

                                  We have a New Scout program used by many troops called the Raven
                                  Patrol, first year Boy Scouts with Troop Guide and if possible an
                                  Assistant Scoutmaster to assist in the evolving of the youth from
                                  Webelos to Boy Scout, which is sometimes very traumatic.

                                  Rest assured, the Raven is not forgotten in Old HIckory Council.

                                  Don Wilson
                                  OHC 427
                                  -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.
                                • RedhedMary@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 10, 2008
                                    In a message dated 4/10/2008 11:00:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    eagle9252@... writes:

                                    but my troop
                                    guide was chosen for the eagle because her e-mail was eaglemom**

                                    I really wanted to be the eagle guide, as my sons and DH are all eagles.
                                    But, alas, not to be. The critter names were all put into a hat, and we each
                                    picked out one. As long as it wasn't our own course critter, that's what
                                    critter patrol we guided. And I quickly grew to love being a TG for the Bears,
                                    even though I still love being a Bobwhite!

                                    "Bob-Bear" Mary

                                  • Dan Hammond, Sr.
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 11, 2008
                                      Posted by: "Alan Smason" in part:

                                      <snip>
                                      "As I have been told, the Raven Patrol was used in
                                      U.S. Wood Badge courses for several years, but the
                                      present slate of eight names (Beaver,
                                      Bobwhite, Eagle, Fox, Owl, Bear, Antelope and Buffalo)
                                      has (more or less) become standardized. Sadly, the
                                      name of Raven (with very few exceptions) is used in
                                      the BSA nevermore."

                                      I believe that there is still a provision that
                                      exceptionally large courses can add two additional
                                      patrols, provided they receive special dispensation to
                                      do so) and those patrols are named Raven and Wolf.

                                      It doesn't happen often, but it is possible. At least
                                      it used to be possible.

                                      Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
                                      Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
                                      Kaw District Training Chairman, NRA Life Member
                                      CM P3001, SM T366
                                      |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
                                      I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
                                      And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06)

                                      Overprotectiveness is a danger in itself. Children who are treated as though they can't do anything by themselves eventually can't.

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • gottshalld@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 11, 2008
                                        Connie and Neil,

                                        A bobwhite is still nothing more than a snack for the wily fox.

                                        Dave Gottshall
                                        NE-1-202
                                        Fox Roxs!
                                      • Hank Voegtle
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 11, 2008
                                          Except here in the south where the fire ants usually beat us to their nests.

                                          Hank Voegtle
                                          I used to be a fox...
                                          SR-Y2K-X2

                                          >A bobwhite is still nothing more than a snack for the wily fox.
                                          >
                                          >Dave Gottshall
                                          >NE-1-202
                                          >Fox Roxs!

                                        • Scouter Chuck
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 11, 2008
                                            Dave Gottshall wrote...

                                            > Connie and Neil,
                                            >
                                            > A bobwhite is still nothing more than a snack for the wily fox.

                                            "Hey bird dog, stay 'way from that quail!"

                                            I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                                            -- Stephen R. Covey
                                          • NeilLup@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 11, 2008
                                              In a message dated 4/11/08 12:02:48 PM, gottshalld@... writes:

                                              > A bobwhite is still nothing more than a snack for the wily fox

                                              And that's why hunters ride all over the English countryside in red coats
                                              with their hounds and horns with an occasional shout of "Tally Ho, the
                                              Bobwhite!"

                                              And that's why, in days of yore, teen agers hung Bobwhite tails from the
                                              antennae of their jalopys.

                                              Few foxes. Many Bobwhites.

                                              Lovers.

                                              Best wishes,

                                              Neil Lupton

                                            • Walter and Pat Shaw
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 11, 2008
                                                LOL!!!

                                                But you must realize that the smart foxes got away and procreated, thus
                                                creating a quicker smarter fox...

                                                YiS,

                                                Walter Shaw ..you gotta know what critter I favor :-) SR-556

                                                _____

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Apr 12, 2008
                                                  Neil,
                                                  You are so wonderfully eloquent I will let you speak for me, your sister Bobwhite........

                                                  NeilLup@... wrote:

                                                  In a message dated 4/11/08 12:02:48 PM, gottshalld@... writes:

                                                  > A bobwhite is still nothing more than a snack for the wily fox

                                                  And that's why hunters ride all over the English countryside in red coats
                                                  with their hounds and horns with an occasional shout of "Tally Ho, the
                                                  Bobwhite!"

                                                  connie

                                                • jimzhowse
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Apr 12, 2008
                                                    > You make this Sister Bob White sing with pride.........!!

                                                    > Being a proud loquacious Bob White myself, my omission was not
                                                    accidental.

                                                    Bobwhites of the world..... UNITE!!
                                                  • Ida Lively
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Apr 12, 2008
                                                      No disrespect for the other patrols, but the song starts with the best
                                                      critter .....

                                                      Ida
                                                      NE-IV-181 I used to be a Beaver ....
                                                      NE-IV-208 I used to be a Staffer ...
                                                    • Peter Mullaney
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Apr 12, 2008
                                                        On my course - NE-II-92, the beavers, unfortunately were not a good group.Some
                                                        of them had neglected to check off on the form that they were Eagle
                                                        scouts, and thus that patrol was not diverse. They all 'knew it all'. We
                                                        (Bobwhites) had two eagles, a woman, two from out of council and me and
                                                        another guy. Big Jon Hanna was one of 'da Bears' and it fit him.

                                                        Ramble off

                                                        Pete M

                                                      • Alpvalsys@aol.com
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Apr 13, 2008
                                                          In a message dated 4/12/2008 5:30:29 PM EDT, Ida wrote:

                                                          No disrespect for the other patrols, but the song starts with the best
                                                          critter .....

                                                          Amen to that!

                                                          Ralph V. Balfoort, UC
                                                          I used to be a beaver (NE III-135)
                                                          In the Beaver Patrol as a Scout
                                                          And still Ktemaque (Beaver) Chapter,
                                                          Kittan Lodge #364, OA

                                                          Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)

                                                        • Kevin Pate
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Apr 13, 2008
                                                            > No disrespect for the other patrols, but the song
                                                            > starts with the best critter .....

                                                            Nah, it's just that y'all just take longer to cook and
                                                            long ago it was decided everyone should hear you sing
                                                            while there was still time. 8^)

                                                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                          • Will Strother
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Apr 13, 2008
                                                              Of course, us Buffalos do not have to waste our time debating who is the best patrol animal ... we just know. It is our job to roam Gilwell Field to protect all of the other patrol animals and to share our wisdom when asked.

                                                              Seriously, Wood Badge is "a game with a purpose." Have fun and don't worry about what is coming up or going to happen or which patrol you are in. Remember to stay in the moment.

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Apr 13, 2008
                                                                > No disrespect for the other patrols, but the song starts with the best
                                                                > critter .....

                                                                Beavers -- all teeth and tail but the part in the middle makes a good
                                                                top hat.

                                                                Don Wilson
                                                                I once was a Fox
                                                                SR 191

                                                                -- Success is not the destination, it is the journey.