RE: [Scouter_T] Woodbadge In Stone?

  • Margo Mead
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
      I went over 10 years after my hubby did, and just happened to be the same
      critter as my husband, just by luck of the draw. It's pretty rare I think!

      Margo

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
        My understanding is that the Course Directors (and staff) look at the
        attendees, and look for their obvious strengths and weaknesses.

        I have been told that I am an Alpha female. I don't tend to see it,
        except in areas where I am confident that I know what I'm doing.
        (Several on this list have met me, and I'm sure they have their own
        opinions. ;) )

        When I was put into a WB patrol, I was put with two people I knew, and
        two that I didn't -- all males, three of whom were from my own (the
        host) council. In my patrol, two were SM (one had moved on to be a
        VA), one is MC and one was UC. My hat for WB was District MC. I was
        the youngest of the group.

        I'd have to say that our patrol meshed well. We each had strengths
        that played well with the others.

        I know that other patrols were not as fortunate ... there were
        personality mixes that didn't do so well.

        As for mixing --

        My course was probably a challenge. Most of the attendees were from
        one district in our council, so most of them knew each other already.

        We had two married couples. We had a father-son pair. Several units
        had two people in attendance, and one Troop had 4. We had the son of
        the Course Director, and a daughter of a Staff Member on course.

        My 'counterpart' in training, as many saw my friend Sharon, was put
        into another patrol [for a long period, people would not think of one
        of us without thinking of the other, since we're from the same
        Pack/Troop].

        My other 'cohort,' Jane, was in a third patrol, and her husband was
        put into Sharon's patrol.

        [Some wise trainers at Philmont had split Jane and me up the year
        before when we took Training Cub Scout Leaders ... without really
        knowing us, but knowing that we were from the same council, that we'd
        probably be a 'force to be reckoned with.' They were right. ;) ]

        I think that having different 'critters' is part of the fun of Wood
        Badge -- part of the camaraderie. I know that whenever I go
        somewhere, and see a Fox or an Owl, I know that I just HAVE to pick it
        up for Sharon or Jane. They do the same when they see Beavers.

        My husband will be taking WB this year. I'm serving on Staff. I'm
        reasonably certain that he'll be put into a different critter patrol
        than what I took it as, and I'm also certain that I will not be his
        Troop Guide.

        Ida
      • NeilLup@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
          In a message dated 4/9/08 11:46:14 AM, meadclan@... writes:

          > I went over 10 years after my hubby did, and just happened to be the same
          > critter as my husband, just by luck of the draw. It's pretty rare I think!
          >
          > Margo

          Patrol assignments are rarely "luck of the draw." I suspect it was planned
          to the benefit of you both.

          Best wishes,

          Neil Lupton

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
            Neil,

            Just out of curiosity was your course in 2001 21st Century Wood Badge?

            Wally Hymel
            SE Louisiana Council

          • NeilLup@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
              In a message dated 4/9/08 4:04:07 PM, whymel@... writes:

              > Neil,
              >
              > Just out of curiosity was your course in 2001 21st Century Wood Badge?
              >
              > Wally Hymel
              > SE Louisiana Council

              I had the privilege of directing the first 21st Century Wood Badge course in
              New England. We got the final course guide about 10 days before the course
              started. We did our first weekend in September on Saturday, Sunday and
              Monday, then Tuesday AM, I was feeling pretty good about the course when our
              Field Director called to tell me that I might want to turn on the TV as there
              were some strange happenings at the twin towers in New York.

              Neil Lupton

            • Glenn Dziedzic
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                In our council not only do they not have people from the same units, they split you up so that if possible the patrol does not have members from the same district. There were 7 people from my district that attended and none were in the same patrol.
                I used t be an antelope, a good ole antelope too
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 11, 2008
                  Neil Lupton wrote:

                  [snip]
                  > The husband/wife pair was reluctant to clarify, but it came out that
                  > she was legally blind and wanted him to read to her and help her to
                  > do writing. I asked if they had listed that on her medical form and
                  > they said "Of course not! It's none of your business." :)
                  [snip]

                  I wonder what had happened with them previously, for them to make that
                  statement. Why else would they be so secretive and adamant that her
                  vision status was none of "your" business?

                  That is, _VERY_MUCH_, the business of the Course Director and certain
                  others on staff. Just as much as a Scoutmaster needing to know that
                  one of the boys in his Troop on the next campout is ADHD and on meds.

                  It doesn't have to be "everybody's" business, but is _is_ the SM's
                  business.

                  I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                  -- Stephen R. Covey