Re: [Scouter_T] Woodbadge In Stone?

  • Carter J Wood
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
      There is no absolute statement about family being in the
      same WB Patrol but to do so would hamper the development
      of the Patrol.

      I have seenmarried couples, Father and son, Father and
      daughter and brothers attend. None have ever been in the
      same Patrol. We even try the best we can to mix up
      participants fromt he same home unit.

      Our current course is full (8 patrols of 8) and has a
      waiting list. So far, there are no family members in
      the course but we do have two spouses on the wait list.

    • Alan Smason
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
        Nice story, Neil. And may I add, it shows a capacity for understanding,
        consideration and sensitivity that all Scouter trainers should carry from
        the most elemental of courses to the most advanced training. Thanks for
        sharing.

        Alan Smason
        New Orleans, LA
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
          i would say no to the same patrol at the same time but if say you were an
          eagle and on the next course your spouse took it and requested to be an
          eagle so no critter bashing in the house i would say yes. but some have said
          no. i would not wont to force someone to be a different critter for a
          request like that. i understand the need for diversity but why the purchase
          of critter trinkets and stuff it's cheaper to only have to buy the 1 critter
          and not 2

          On 4/9/08, Alan Smason <asmason@...> wrote:

          > Nice story, Neil. And may I add, it shows a capacity for understanding,
          > consideration and sensitivity that all Scouter trainers should carry from
          > the most elemental of courses to the most advanced training. Thanks for
          > sharing.
          >
          > Alan Smason
          > New Orleans, LA

        • Margo Mead
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
            I went over 10 years after my hubby did, and just happened to be the same
            critter as my husband, just by luck of the draw. It's pretty rare I think!

            Margo

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
              My understanding is that the Course Directors (and staff) look at the
              attendees, and look for their obvious strengths and weaknesses.

              I have been told that I am an Alpha female. I don't tend to see it,
              except in areas where I am confident that I know what I'm doing.
              (Several on this list have met me, and I'm sure they have their own
              opinions. ;) )

              When I was put into a WB patrol, I was put with two people I knew, and
              two that I didn't -- all males, three of whom were from my own (the
              host) council. In my patrol, two were SM (one had moved on to be a
              VA), one is MC and one was UC. My hat for WB was District MC. I was
              the youngest of the group.

              I'd have to say that our patrol meshed well. We each had strengths
              that played well with the others.

              I know that other patrols were not as fortunate ... there were
              personality mixes that didn't do so well.

              As for mixing --

              My course was probably a challenge. Most of the attendees were from
              one district in our council, so most of them knew each other already.

              We had two married couples. We had a father-son pair. Several units
              had two people in attendance, and one Troop had 4. We had the son of
              the Course Director, and a daughter of a Staff Member on course.

              My 'counterpart' in training, as many saw my friend Sharon, was put
              into another patrol [for a long period, people would not think of one
              of us without thinking of the other, since we're from the same
              Pack/Troop].

              My other 'cohort,' Jane, was in a third patrol, and her husband was
              put into Sharon's patrol.

              [Some wise trainers at Philmont had split Jane and me up the year
              before when we took Training Cub Scout Leaders ... without really
              knowing us, but knowing that we were from the same council, that we'd
              probably be a 'force to be reckoned with.' They were right. ;) ]

              I think that having different 'critters' is part of the fun of Wood
              Badge -- part of the camaraderie. I know that whenever I go
              somewhere, and see a Fox or an Owl, I know that I just HAVE to pick it
              up for Sharon or Jane. They do the same when they see Beavers.

              My husband will be taking WB this year. I'm serving on Staff. I'm
              reasonably certain that he'll be put into a different critter patrol
              than what I took it as, and I'm also certain that I will not be his
              Troop Guide.

              Ida
            • NeilLup@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                In a message dated 4/9/08 11:46:14 AM, meadclan@... writes:

                > I went over 10 years after my hubby did, and just happened to be the same
                > critter as my husband, just by luck of the draw. It's pretty rare I think!
                >
                > Margo

                Patrol assignments are rarely "luck of the draw." I suspect it was planned
                to the benefit of you both.

                Best wishes,

                Neil Lupton

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                  Neil,

                  Just out of curiosity was your course in 2001 21st Century Wood Badge?

                  Wally Hymel
                  SE Louisiana Council

                • NeilLup@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                    In a message dated 4/9/08 4:04:07 PM, whymel@... writes:

                    > Neil,
                    >
                    > Just out of curiosity was your course in 2001 21st Century Wood Badge?
                    >
                    > Wally Hymel
                    > SE Louisiana Council

                    I had the privilege of directing the first 21st Century Wood Badge course in
                    New England. We got the final course guide about 10 days before the course
                    started. We did our first weekend in September on Saturday, Sunday and
                    Monday, then Tuesday AM, I was feeling pretty good about the course when our
                    Field Director called to tell me that I might want to turn on the TV as there
                    were some strange happenings at the twin towers in New York.

                    Neil Lupton

                  • Glenn Dziedzic
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 10, 2008
                      In our council not only do they not have people from the same units, they split you up so that if possible the patrol does not have members from the same district. There were 7 people from my district that attended and none were in the same patrol.
                      I used t be an antelope, a good ole antelope too
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 11, 2008
                        Neil Lupton wrote:

                        [snip]
                        > The husband/wife pair was reluctant to clarify, but it came out that
                        > she was legally blind and wanted him to read to her and help her to
                        > do writing. I asked if they had listed that on her medical form and
                        > they said "Of course not! It's none of your business." :)
                        [snip]

                        I wonder what had happened with them previously, for them to make that
                        statement. Why else would they be so secretive and adamant that her
                        vision status was none of "your" business?

                        That is, _VERY_MUCH_, the business of the Course Director and certain
                        others on staff. Just as much as a Scoutmaster needing to know that
                        one of the boys in his Troop on the next campout is ADHD and on meds.

                        It doesn't have to be "everybody's" business, but is _is_ the SM's
                        business.

                        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                        -- Stephen R. Covey