Re: [Scouter_T] Woodbadge In Stone?

  • Randy Sessions
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 8, 2008
      I didn't hear that in my CDC, but diversity IS required in the patrols. It is highly discouraged that participants from the same units, and family members be put into the same patrol. ONe of the things about a WB course is getting to konw and work with a diverse group of people. It is hard to do this when y ou are in a patrol with those you know well. As I stated, I was not specifically told that about married couples, but I would not, nor will I for my course, put a married couple in the same patrol. It defeats part of the purpose.

      Randy Sessions
      SM, C-05-06
      Council Training Chairman
      Quivira Council
      Wichita, Kansas

      Kevin and Jane <trecamp@...> wrote:
      Where might one find out about the absolutes about married couples
      attending woodbadge? Our local course SM said that the course leaders
      conference said that having couples in the same patrol was not allowed.
      Any help?

      Kevin

    • Erik Carlson
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 8, 2008
        That is the same way in our council too. There is time for them to be together but they need to bond with their patrol mates.

        Kevin and Jane <trecamp@...> wrote: Where might one find out about the absolutes about married couples
        attending woodbadge? Our local course SM said that the course leaders
        conference said that having couples in the same patrol was not allowed.
        Any help?

        Kevin

        Erik Carlson
        RDO Co-Popcorn Kernal
        RDO, Golden Empire Council, BSA

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
          Normally, it is totally proper for married couples to be in the same course
          but not in the same patrol for the reasons already stated. The patrol is
          supposed to be a new group formed for the purposes of that course and having a
          husband/wife team with all of the relationships preexisting impacts the group
          forming. Plus, they each miss out on the opportunity to learn from other
          course members as they would both have the same patrol mates.

          But it isn't written in stone. Very few things are in Wood Badge (or in
          Scouting).

          When I directed a course in 2001, we had a husband/wife pair come in
          demanding to be in the same patrol and saying that if they weren't, they would
          just walk out right now. I was about a quarter second from saying "Don't let
          the door hit you on the way out." However, I then forced myself to take
          a deep breath and remembered what we had heard at the conference "Anyone can
          teach the easy participants. It takes the great trainers to teach the hard
          ones." So I asked a staff member from their district to explore a bit and
          see what was going on.

          The husband/wife pair was reluctant to clarify, but it came out that she
          was legally blind and wanted him to read to her and help her to do writing. I
          asked if they had listed that on her medical form and they said "Of course
          not! It's none of your business." :)

          So we let them both be Bob Whites. They had a good time, both finished
          the course and have both, I believe, been on staff.

          Sometimes, rules have to be written on solid Jell-o.

          Best wishes,

          Neil Lupton

        • Carter J Wood
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
            There is no absolute statement about family being in the
            same WB Patrol but to do so would hamper the development
            of the Patrol.

            I have seenmarried couples, Father and son, Father and
            daughter and brothers attend. None have ever been in the
            same Patrol. We even try the best we can to mix up
            participants fromt he same home unit.

            Our current course is full (8 patrols of 8) and has a
            waiting list. So far, there are no family members in
            the course but we do have two spouses on the wait list.

          • Alan Smason
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
              Nice story, Neil. And may I add, it shows a capacity for understanding,
              consideration and sensitivity that all Scouter trainers should carry from
              the most elemental of courses to the most advanced training. Thanks for
              sharing.

              Alan Smason
              New Orleans, LA

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                i would say no to the same patrol at the same time but if say you were an
                eagle and on the next course your spouse took it and requested to be an
                eagle so no critter bashing in the house i would say yes. but some have said
                no. i would not wont to force someone to be a different critter for a
                request like that. i understand the need for diversity but why the purchase
                of critter trinkets and stuff it's cheaper to only have to buy the 1 critter
                and not 2

                On 4/9/08, Alan Smason <asmason@...> wrote:

                > Nice story, Neil. And may I add, it shows a capacity for understanding,
                > consideration and sensitivity that all Scouter trainers should carry from
                > the most elemental of courses to the most advanced training. Thanks for
                > sharing.
                >
                > Alan Smason
                > New Orleans, LA

              • Margo Mead
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                  I went over 10 years after my hubby did, and just happened to be the same
                  critter as my husband, just by luck of the draw. It's pretty rare I think!

                  Margo

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                    My understanding is that the Course Directors (and staff) look at the
                    attendees, and look for their obvious strengths and weaknesses.

                    I have been told that I am an Alpha female. I don't tend to see it,
                    except in areas where I am confident that I know what I'm doing.
                    (Several on this list have met me, and I'm sure they have their own
                    opinions. ;) )

                    When I was put into a WB patrol, I was put with two people I knew, and
                    two that I didn't -- all males, three of whom were from my own (the
                    host) council. In my patrol, two were SM (one had moved on to be a
                    VA), one is MC and one was UC. My hat for WB was District MC. I was
                    the youngest of the group.

                    I'd have to say that our patrol meshed well. We each had strengths
                    that played well with the others.

                    I know that other patrols were not as fortunate ... there were
                    personality mixes that didn't do so well.

                    As for mixing --

                    My course was probably a challenge. Most of the attendees were from
                    one district in our council, so most of them knew each other already.

                    We had two married couples. We had a father-son pair. Several units
                    had two people in attendance, and one Troop had 4. We had the son of
                    the Course Director, and a daughter of a Staff Member on course.

                    My 'counterpart' in training, as many saw my friend Sharon, was put
                    into another patrol [for a long period, people would not think of one
                    of us without thinking of the other, since we're from the same
                    Pack/Troop].

                    My other 'cohort,' Jane, was in a third patrol, and her husband was
                    put into Sharon's patrol.

                    [Some wise trainers at Philmont had split Jane and me up the year
                    before when we took Training Cub Scout Leaders ... without really
                    knowing us, but knowing that we were from the same council, that we'd
                    probably be a 'force to be reckoned with.' They were right. ;) ]

                    I think that having different 'critters' is part of the fun of Wood
                    Badge -- part of the camaraderie. I know that whenever I go
                    somewhere, and see a Fox or an Owl, I know that I just HAVE to pick it
                    up for Sharon or Jane. They do the same when they see Beavers.

                    My husband will be taking WB this year. I'm serving on Staff. I'm
                    reasonably certain that he'll be put into a different critter patrol
                    than what I took it as, and I'm also certain that I will not be his
                    Troop Guide.

                    Ida
                  • NeilLup@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                      In a message dated 4/9/08 11:46:14 AM, meadclan@... writes:

                      > I went over 10 years after my hubby did, and just happened to be the same
                      > critter as my husband, just by luck of the draw. It's pretty rare I think!
                      >
                      > Margo

                      Patrol assignments are rarely "luck of the draw." I suspect it was planned
                      to the benefit of you both.

                      Best wishes,

                      Neil Lupton

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                        Neil,

                        Just out of curiosity was your course in 2001 21st Century Wood Badge?

                        Wally Hymel
                        SE Louisiana Council

                      • NeilLup@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                          In a message dated 4/9/08 4:04:07 PM, whymel@... writes:

                          > Neil,
                          >
                          > Just out of curiosity was your course in 2001 21st Century Wood Badge?
                          >
                          > Wally Hymel
                          > SE Louisiana Council

                          I had the privilege of directing the first 21st Century Wood Badge course in
                          New England. We got the final course guide about 10 days before the course
                          started. We did our first weekend in September on Saturday, Sunday and
                          Monday, then Tuesday AM, I was feeling pretty good about the course when our
                          Field Director called to tell me that I might want to turn on the TV as there
                          were some strange happenings at the twin towers in New York.

                          Neil Lupton

                        • Glenn Dziedzic

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 11, 2008
                              Neil Lupton wrote:

                              [snip]
                              > The husband/wife pair was reluctant to clarify, but it came out that
                              > she was legally blind and wanted him to read to her and help her to
                              > do writing. I asked if they had listed that on her medical form and
                              > they said "Of course not! It's none of your business." :)
                              [snip]

                              I wonder what had happened with them previously, for them to make that
                              statement. Why else would they be so secretive and adamant that her
                              vision status was none of "your" business?

                              That is, _VERY_MUCH_, the business of the Course Director and certain
                              others on staff. Just as much as a Scoutmaster needing to know that
                              one of the boys in his Troop on the next campout is ADHD and on meds.

                              It doesn't have to be "everybody's" business, but is _is_ the SM's
                              business.

                              I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                              -- Stephen R. Covey