Re: Wilderness First Aid Training?

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
      PENNSYLVANIA --- TWO COURSES

      COURSE 1:
      Keystone Council in conjunction with Juniata Valley Council is
      offering a WFA course the first weekend of April at Hidden Valley.
      Dont know the price, but they are doing it at the camp which will
      include food and lodging. "Clyde Keller" <ClydeKeller@...> is
      the Philmont Coordinator for the Keystone Council that you should
      contact for information or to get on the list.

      COURSE 2:
      Dates: April 11-13, 2007

      - Friday (6pm - 10:30pm) *
      - Saturday (8am - 11:00pm) *
      - Sunday (8am - 5pm) *

      * Time includes breaks & snacks. Lunches & Dinners not included.

      Location State College, PA (Centre LifeLink, 125
      Puddintown Road)

      Spaces Available 32

      Course Fee
      $130.00 ($100.00 for Scouts & Adult Leaders - includes Venturers)

      WWW.WildSafe.com

      ** (click on) Course Calendar

      Description

      Wilderness First Aid Basics course to meet the requirements for
      back-country emergency responses for almost any location 60 minutes or
      more from regular Emergency Medical Service (EMS) response. Even
      though the emergency workers near these areas may be trained to search
      for and rescue those in need, there may be a delay in the notification
      of assistance, the time required to get to the patient, or in moving
      the patient to more advanced treatment.

      This course combines classroom lecture, skills practice, and realistic
      scenarios to teach assessment, basic and advanced first aid
      techniques, extended care, transports and evacuations, and dealing
      with emotionally upset patients. Basic first aid skills are covered
      making this course appropriate for anyone regardless of experience
      level. While some preliminary victim recognition and assessment skills
      will be discussed CPR skills will NOT be taught during the course.

      Prerequisites
      Participants must be at least 14 years old due to the serious nature
      of the content covered in this course. Adult CPR is strongly
      suggested, but NOT required.

      Length 25 hours (2 full days + 1 evening session)

      Certifications Issued
      Wilderness First Aid (Valid for 3 years)
      American Red Cross First Aid and When Help is Delayed also available.
    • Ida Lively
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
        --- "Anna Sturdivant" <anna@...> wrote:

        > Training Experts, do you know of a good response to this question? I
        > know there is a Wilderness First Aid course at Philmont Training
        > Center in September, but that won't work for this unit's needs. Any
        > recommendations? How do you handle helping units in your districts
        > get training in Wilderness First Aid?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any responses!
        >
        > Anna Sturdivant
        > Arrowhead District Training Chair
        > Circle 10 Council, Dallas TX

        Anna,

        Hopefully you've found something to suit your Troop's needs. But,
        there are a fewoptions available.

        1) Contact your local American Red Cross agencies
        2) Search the internet for "Wilderness First Aid" training -- there
        are several 'for profit' groups that provide this training.

        My troop contacted local ARC people and finally settled with a SOLO
        (for profit) course about 3 hours away -- for a cost of $85/per
        person. When one of the people taking the course heard the cost, he
        contacted his local ARC (one that I had contacted w/ no response) and
        managed to get a $60/person course in our own backyard (20 miles away).

        Best of luck!

        Ida