RE: [Scouter_T] Wilderness First Aid Training?

  • Roy Fisher
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
      From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Alpvalsys@...
      Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Wilderness First Aid Training?

      Philmont is a wonderful illusion of wilderness. Like most places here in
      the East, contact with the real world is only a couple of hours away, and
      cell phones work in many areas. The number of places, even in the western
      US, where you have real wilderness is rapidly decreasing. :-(

      ********************

      I don't think it is as much the "wilderness" aspects as it is the "couple of
      hours away". In a medical emergency, that couple of hours could literally
      be a lifetime!

      Roy Fisher
    • Ida Lively
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
        PENNSYLVANIA --- TWO COURSES

        COURSE 1:
        Keystone Council in conjunction with Juniata Valley Council is
        offering a WFA course the first weekend of April at Hidden Valley.
        Dont know the price, but they are doing it at the camp which will
        include food and lodging. "Clyde Keller" <ClydeKeller@...> is
        the Philmont Coordinator for the Keystone Council that you should
        contact for information or to get on the list.

        COURSE 2:
        Dates: April 11-13, 2007

        - Friday (6pm - 10:30pm) *
        - Saturday (8am - 11:00pm) *
        - Sunday (8am - 5pm) *

        * Time includes breaks & snacks. Lunches & Dinners not included.

        Location State College, PA (Centre LifeLink, 125
        Puddintown Road)

        Spaces Available 32

        Course Fee
        $130.00 ($100.00 for Scouts & Adult Leaders - includes Venturers)

        WWW.WildSafe.com

        ** (click on) Course Calendar

        Description

        Wilderness First Aid Basics course to meet the requirements for
        back-country emergency responses for almost any location 60 minutes or
        more from regular Emergency Medical Service (EMS) response. Even
        though the emergency workers near these areas may be trained to search
        for and rescue those in need, there may be a delay in the notification
        of assistance, the time required to get to the patient, or in moving
        the patient to more advanced treatment.

        This course combines classroom lecture, skills practice, and realistic
        scenarios to teach assessment, basic and advanced first aid
        techniques, extended care, transports and evacuations, and dealing
        with emotionally upset patients. Basic first aid skills are covered
        making this course appropriate for anyone regardless of experience
        level. While some preliminary victim recognition and assessment skills
        will be discussed CPR skills will NOT be taught during the course.

        Prerequisites
        Participants must be at least 14 years old due to the serious nature
        of the content covered in this course. Adult CPR is strongly
        suggested, but NOT required.

        Length 25 hours (2 full days + 1 evening session)

        Certifications Issued
        Wilderness First Aid (Valid for 3 years)
        American Red Cross First Aid and When Help is Delayed also available.
      • Ida Lively
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
          --- "Anna Sturdivant" <anna@...> wrote:

          > Training Experts, do you know of a good response to this question? I
          > know there is a Wilderness First Aid course at Philmont Training
          > Center in September, but that won't work for this unit's needs. Any
          > recommendations? How do you handle helping units in your districts
          > get training in Wilderness First Aid?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any responses!
          >
          > Anna Sturdivant
          > Arrowhead District Training Chair
          > Circle 10 Council, Dallas TX

          Anna,

          Hopefully you've found something to suit your Troop's needs. But,
          there are a fewoptions available.

          1) Contact your local American Red Cross agencies
          2) Search the internet for "Wilderness First Aid" training -- there
          are several 'for profit' groups that provide this training.

          My troop contacted local ARC people and finally settled with a SOLO
          (for profit) course about 3 hours away -- for a cost of $85/per
          person. When one of the people taking the course heard the cost, he
          contacted his local ARC (one that I had contacted w/ no response) and
          managed to get a $60/person course in our own backyard (20 miles away).

          Best of luck!

          Ida