Wilderness First Aid Training?

  • Anna Sturdivant
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
      Training Experts, do you know of a good response to this question? I
      know there is a Wilderness First Aid course at Philmont Training
      Center in September, but that won't work for this unit's needs. Any
      recommendations? How do you handle helping units in your districts
      get training in Wilderness First Aid?

      Thanks in advance for any responses!

      Anna Sturdivant
      Arrowhead District Training Chair
      Circle 10 Council, Dallas TX

      ------------- Forwarded message follows -------------

      Anna,
      Do you know of a local source for obtaining wilderness first aid
      certification? Troop 416 is planning to do a high adventure
      backpacking
      trip early this summer, and we've been strongly encouraged to
      get trained in this area. I don't recall hearing of an offering
      in our District. Internet search shows this to be a relatively
      lengthy course, with both teaching of theory and simulation-based
      practice. Prices, outside of BSA, appear to run as high as $185
      +accommodations and food (and travel).

      Do you have a recommendation for us?

      Scoutmaster, Troop 416
    • Teresa Hall
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
        Check with your local American Red Cross. If you don't have a Wilderness
        First Aid trainer in your Council, that may be your best solution. We have
        one trainer in our Council - and we're big but not as big as Circle 10 I
        don't think - but we still max out the ARC courses as well as the ones
        offered by our trainer. They usually have fairly stringent size limitations
        too, I believe. And they rarely cheap.

        I believe a Wilderness First Aid trained crew member is now required for a
        Philmont trek, so it probably falls on all of us as trainers to identify the
        possibilities locally available to our units.

        Good luck!

        Teresa Hall
        Vulcan Cub Training Coordinator
        Greater AL Council

        On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Anna Sturdivant <anna@...>
        wrote:

        > Training Experts, do you know of a good response to this question? I
        > know there is a Wilderness First Aid course at Philmont Training
        > Center in September, but that won't work for this unit's needs. Any
        > recommendations? How do you handle helping units in your districts
        > get training in Wilderness First Aid?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any responses!
        >
        > Anna Sturdivant
        > Arrowhead District Training Chair
        > Circle 10 Council, Dallas TX
        >
        > ------------- Forwarded message follows -------------

        > Anna,
        > Do you know of a local source for obtaining wilderness first aid
        > certification? Troop 416 is planning to do a high adventure
        > backpacking
        > trip early this summer, and we've been strongly encouraged to
        > get trained in this area. I don't recall hearing of an offering
        > in our District. Internet search shows this to be a relatively
        > lengthy course, with both teaching of theory and simulation-based
        > practice. Prices, outside of BSA, appear to run as high as $185
        > +accommodations and food (and travel).
        >
        > Do you have a recommendation for us?
        >
        > Scoutmaster, Troop 416

        > Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/<http://www.scoutingthenet.com/>
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • T.W. Cook
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
          Circle 10 used to run American Red Cross Wilderness First Aid at Camp
          Wisdom several times per year. I presume that's still going on,
          someone on the council training committee should know. If that doesn't
          work, Longhorn Council is running it at Sid fairly often, or it's
          being held at Camp Strake (Conroe) monthly now. We (Capitol Area)
          offer it 2-3 times per year, but ours are full for the foreseeable
          future.
        • Tom Burke
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
            Good Answer - Check with the local ARC, and your council. If the Council has individuals who are trained as ARC CPR/FA Instructors, it is a fairly easy process to bridge them over tobecome Wilderness FA Instructors. If the Council has no one active as a trained CPR/FA Instructor, it needs to get several trained. The ARC has an obligation to help the BSA get people trained (But not obligated to do it for free - they are allowed to charge for this.)

            As to costs.+ The Course takes at least 16 hours to do well. So it normally would be a full weekend course for us scouts. Each participant needs the books & Training supplies - costs about $40. plus a $5.00 fee to the ARC. Most of the other materials you can have the participants bring or purchase to use over and over again at camp or other trainings. If each participant/troop provides their own food and camping gear, and if you do it at a camp, the final costs (where to do it!) is also kept to a minimum.

            If this unit needs help, they can sign up to do it with my council... Memorial day weekend. Great Rivers Council.

            This also can be a great Woodbadge Ticket Item - become a trained/certified WFAB/CPR/FA instructor for your council/district/troop/crew...

            Tom Burke
            WFAB/Emergency Response Instructor
            Great Rivers Council

          • Alpvalsys@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 27, 2008
              In a message dated 2/26/2008 10:38:45 P.M. EST, Anna Sturdivant wrote:

              < there is a Wilderness First Aid course at Philmont Training Center in
              September >

              Check with your local outdoor organizations. The course I took last year
              was taught by New Jersey Search And Rescue (NJSAR). WFA was a prerequisite for
              all hike leaders at the Applachian Trail Conservancy's conference in Mahwah
              in July, and NJSAR did it at cost ($35). Which brings up the point of cost;
              it can be tough to find an organization, even the ARC, that will charge less
              than $100 for the 16-hour basic course.

              Philmont is a wonderful illusion of wilderness. Like most places here in
              the East, contact with the real world is only a couple of hours away, and cell
              phones work in many areas. The number of places, even in the western US,
              where you have real wilderness is rapidly decreasing. :-(

              Ralph V. Balfoort, UC
              I used to be a beaver (NE III-135)
              In the Beaver Patrol as a Scout
              And still Ktemaque (Beaver) Chapter,
              Kittan Lodge #364, OA

              2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

            • Gregory Olgin
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                Hi, Everyone. I just had to write and let you know that I have done one WFA course for our ARC chapter and cost is $55. I have another one coming up on Sunday March 30 and Sunday April 6 at the Lorain County Chapter in Elyria, OH. Please call them (440) 324-2929, if you want more information and to register.

                Greg Olgin
                WFA Instructor
                ADC Great Frontier District, Heart of Ohio Council

[...]

                ************ **Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.
                (http://living. aol.com/video/ how-to-please- your-picky- eater/rachel- campos-duffy/
                2050827?NCID= aolcmp0030000000 2598)

              • Rod Smith
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                  I along with Greg am a WFA instructor and am conducting a course April 26-27
                  at Camp Berry in Findlay, Oh for $ 75 which includes meals for the weekend,.

                  Rod Smith
                  WFA Instructor
                  Black Swamp Area Council

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                    From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                    Of Alpvalsys@...

                    Philmont is a wonderful illusion of wilderness. Like most places here in
                    the East, contact with the real world is only a couple of hours away, and
                    cell phones work in many areas. The number of places, even in the western
                    US, where you have real wilderness is rapidly decreasing. :-(

                    ********************

                    I don't think it is as much the "wilderness" aspects as it is the "couple of
                    hours away". In a medical emergency, that couple of hours could literally
                    be a lifetime!

                    Roy Fisher
                  • Ida Lively
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3 3:28 PM
                      PENNSYLVANIA --- TWO COURSES

                      COURSE 1:
                      Keystone Council in conjunction with Juniata Valley Council is
                      offering a WFA course the first weekend of April at Hidden Valley.
                      Dont know the price, but they are doing it at the camp which will
                      include food and lodging. "Clyde Keller" <ClydeKeller@...> is
                      the Philmont Coordinator for the Keystone Council that you should
                      contact for information or to get on the list.

                      COURSE 2:
                      Dates: April 11-13, 2007

                      - Friday (6pm - 10:30pm) *
                      - Saturday (8am - 11:00pm) *
                      - Sunday (8am - 5pm) *

                      * Time includes breaks & snacks. Lunches & Dinners not included.

                      Location State College, PA (Centre LifeLink, 125
                      Puddintown Road)

                      Spaces Available 32

                      Course Fee
                      $130.00 ($100.00 for Scouts & Adult Leaders - includes Venturers)

                      WWW.WildSafe.com

                      ** (click on) Course Calendar

                      Description

                      Wilderness First Aid Basics course to meet the requirements for
                      back-country emergency responses for almost any location 60 minutes or
                      more from regular Emergency Medical Service (EMS) response. Even
                      though the emergency workers near these areas may be trained to search
                      for and rescue those in need, there may be a delay in the notification
                      of assistance, the time required to get to the patient, or in moving
                      the patient to more advanced treatment.

                      This course combines classroom lecture, skills practice, and realistic
                      scenarios to teach assessment, basic and advanced first aid
                      techniques, extended care, transports and evacuations, and dealing
                      with emotionally upset patients. Basic first aid skills are covered
                      making this course appropriate for anyone regardless of experience
                      level. While some preliminary victim recognition and assessment skills
                      will be discussed CPR skills will NOT be taught during the course.

                      Prerequisites
                      Participants must be at least 14 years old due to the serious nature
                      of the content covered in this course. Adult CPR is strongly
                      suggested, but NOT required.

                      Length 25 hours (2 full days + 1 evening session)

                      Certifications Issued
                      Wilderness First Aid (Valid for 3 years)
                      American Red Cross First Aid and When Help is Delayed also available.
                    • Ida Lively
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 3 3:33 PM
                        --- "Anna Sturdivant" <anna@...> wrote:

                        > Training Experts, do you know of a good response to this question? I
                        > know there is a Wilderness First Aid course at Philmont Training
                        > Center in September, but that won't work for this unit's needs. Any
                        > recommendations? How do you handle helping units in your districts
                        > get training in Wilderness First Aid?
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance for any responses!
                        >
                        > Anna Sturdivant
                        > Arrowhead District Training Chair
                        > Circle 10 Council, Dallas TX

                        Anna,

                        Hopefully you've found something to suit your Troop's needs. But,
                        there are a fewoptions available.

                        1) Contact your local American Red Cross agencies
                        2) Search the internet for "Wilderness First Aid" training -- there
                        are several 'for profit' groups that provide this training.

                        My troop contacted local ARC people and finally settled with a SOLO
                        (for profit) course about 3 hours away -- for a cost of $85/per
                        person. When one of the people taking the course heard the cost, he
                        contacted his local ARC (one that I had contacted w/ no response) and
                        managed to get a $60/person course in our own backyard (20 miles away).

                        Best of luck!

                        Ida