Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Wood Badge Syllabus Update, How Often?

  • Robert Wilson
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 18, 2008
      That's great. I was a TG in our last course. Serving on staff is fun and
      rewarding. There's nothing like teaching to fill in gaps ya missed during
      your course. :-)

      Robert

      On Feb 17, 2008 8:11 PM, <Ilively@...> wrote:

      > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
      > Development weekend is in March.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Randy Sessions
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
        I have served on staff for the past three courses in our council and am the
        Course director for C-05-08 this August. There have been changes in every
        syllabus that I have been acquainted with, including the one for this year.
        Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

        Randy Sessions

        Council Training Chair

        SM C-05-08

        Quivira Council

        Wichita, Kansas

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
          > Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

          I just received my copy of the syllabus for 2008 -- the Staff Guide.

          Page ii -- with the printing information lists:

          2008 Updates

          The following revisions have been made to the 2008 Editions of Wood
          Badge for the 21st Century Administrative Guide and Staff Guide.

          Following that, there's 9 administrative changes and 13 Staff
          Guide/Syllabus changes.

          Item 18-590
          (C) 2007 boy Scouts of America
          2007 Printing
        • EIGHTOWLS@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
            Do you have a link to download those changes? Or are they out there anywhere?

            Sheron Harder
            Quartermaster WE3-47-08

          • Kevin Kennedy
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
              Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

              YiS,
              Kevin

            • Sheron Harder
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?

                Sheron Harder

              • whymel@cox.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                  I have a question... As a long time lurker I read these posts to try and stay updated and to see what others are thinking/trying out in BSA training land, however, I am wondering if you are serving as Quartermaster on a current or scheduled Wood Badge course? If so, wouldn’t your Course Director be a better resource for this information?

                  Wally Hymel
                  ASM Troop Guides
                  SR-912
                  Feb-Mar 2008
                  ---- Sheron Harder <EIGHTOWLS@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?
                  >

                  > Sheron Harder

                • Wally Hymel
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                    The Wood Badge syllabus does change, some changes are significant, and some
                    are not. Since this group may have members who are not Wood Badge trained or
                    have not served on staff, I wonder if it serves the best interests of Wood
                    Badge to have this posted on the internet? I value the skills and
                    information I learned in Wood Badge and cherish the opportunities I�ve had
                    as a staffer.

                    Most Wood Badger�s I know all agree that Wood Badge needs to be experienced
                    not explained. While recruiting for our council�s most recent course our
                    Course Director was asked this question. �If this stuff is so important why
                    don�t they sell it at the Scout Shop?� It�s because it is important that we
                    don�t sell it or just give it away.

                    Wally Hymel

                    ASM for Troop Guides

                    SR-912

                    Feb-Mar 2008

                    Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                    YiS,
                    Kevin

                    Checked by AVG.
                    12:33 PM

                    Checked by AVG.
                    12:33 PM

                  • Jamie Niss Dunn
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                      I think those need to come from your course director. We can post *some* materials here, and I'm comfortable posting the summary of changes, but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing this way.

                      Wearing my moderator hat. . .

                      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                      3 Rivers District
                      Scouting. Good for Life.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                        Jamie the moderator is right with "but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing"

                        This Wood Badge Course Director would agree. Materials for any course are the
                        responsibilty of the Scoutmaster for that course.

                      • Joe Parajecki
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                          Also those of us who have attended WB have said with honor we will not
                          reveal what transpired during our courses. We may talk about our experiences
                          but we must never reveal to someone what happened there. It is in
                          Experiencing WB that you attain the knowledge WB offers.

                          I agree with you Wally WB is meant to be experienced not explained. If I
                          explained it to you, you would never "Get" what we got.

                          WB was one of the single best experiences I have had in my life and "I"
                          needed to "Experience it" and so does anyone else who hasn't yet

                          WMT
                          Joe Parajecki
                          I Used to be a FOX, a good old FOX too
                          C-27-07