Re: Wood Badge Syllabus Update, How Often?

  • Bill Kuhfuss
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 17, 2008
      Congratulations! Please tell us when and where (camp, council, nearby
      big town, etc.) in Northeast Region Area 4 it will be offered.

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ilively@... wrote:

      > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
      Development weekend is in March.

    • Robert Wilson
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 18, 2008
        That's great. I was a TG in our last course. Serving on staff is fun and
        rewarding. There's nothing like teaching to fill in gaps ya missed during
        your course. :-)

        Robert

        On Feb 17, 2008 8:11 PM, <Ilively@...> wrote:

        > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
        > Development weekend is in March.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Randy Sessions
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
          I have served on staff for the past three courses in our council and am the
          Course director for C-05-08 this August. There have been changes in every
          syllabus that I have been acquainted with, including the one for this year.
          Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

          Randy Sessions

          Council Training Chair

          SM C-05-08

          Quivira Council

          Wichita, Kansas

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
            > Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

            I just received my copy of the syllabus for 2008 -- the Staff Guide.

            Page ii -- with the printing information lists:

            2008 Updates

            The following revisions have been made to the 2008 Editions of Wood
            Badge for the 21st Century Administrative Guide and Staff Guide.

            Following that, there's 9 administrative changes and 13 Staff
            Guide/Syllabus changes.

            Item 18-590
            (C) 2007 boy Scouts of America
            2007 Printing
          • EIGHTOWLS@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
              Do you have a link to download those changes? Or are they out there anywhere?

              Sheron Harder
              Quartermaster WE3-47-08

            • Kevin Kennedy
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                YiS,
                Kevin

              • Sheron Harder
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                  Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?

                  Sheron Harder

                • whymel@cox.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                    I have a question... As a long time lurker I read these posts to try and stay updated and to see what others are thinking/trying out in BSA training land, however, I am wondering if you are serving as Quartermaster on a current or scheduled Wood Badge course? If so, wouldn’t your Course Director be a better resource for this information?

                    Wally Hymel
                    ASM Troop Guides
                    SR-912
                    Feb-Mar 2008
                    ---- Sheron Harder <EIGHTOWLS@...> wrote:
                    > Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?
                    >

                    > Sheron Harder

                  • Wally Hymel
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                      The Wood Badge syllabus does change, some changes are significant, and some
                      are not. Since this group may have members who are not Wood Badge trained or
                      have not served on staff, I wonder if it serves the best interests of Wood
                      Badge to have this posted on the internet? I value the skills and
                      information I learned in Wood Badge and cherish the opportunities I�ve had
                      as a staffer.

                      Most Wood Badger�s I know all agree that Wood Badge needs to be experienced
                      not explained. While recruiting for our council�s most recent course our
                      Course Director was asked this question. �If this stuff is so important why
                      don�t they sell it at the Scout Shop?� It�s because it is important that we
                      don�t sell it or just give it away.

                      Wally Hymel

                      ASM for Troop Guides

                      SR-912

                      Feb-Mar 2008

                      Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                      YiS,
                      Kevin

                      Checked by AVG.
                      12:33 PM

                      Checked by AVG.
                      12:33 PM

                    • Jamie Niss Dunn
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                        I think those need to come from your course director. We can post *some* materials here, and I'm comfortable posting the summary of changes, but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing this way.

                        Wearing my moderator hat. . .

                        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                        3 Rivers District
                        Scouting. Good for Life.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                          Jamie the moderator is right with "but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing"

                          This Wood Badge Course Director would agree. Materials for any course are the
                          responsibilty of the Scoutmaster for that course.

                        • Joe Parajecki
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                            Also those of us who have attended WB have said with honor we will not
                            reveal what transpired during our courses. We may talk about our experiences
                            but we must never reveal to someone what happened there. It is in
                            Experiencing WB that you attain the knowledge WB offers.

                            I agree with you Wally WB is meant to be experienced not explained. If I
                            explained it to you, you would never "Get" what we got.

                            WB was one of the single best experiences I have had in my life and "I"
                            needed to "Experience it" and so does anyone else who hasn't yet

                            WMT
                            Joe Parajecki
                            I Used to be a FOX, a good old FOX too
                            C-27-07