Re: Wood Badge Syllabus Update, How Often?

  • Ilively@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 17, 2008
      I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course Development weekend is in March.

    • Bill Kuhfuss
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 17, 2008
        Congratulations! Please tell us when and where (camp, council, nearby
        big town, etc.) in Northeast Region Area 4 it will be offered.

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ilively@... wrote:

        > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
        Development weekend is in March.

      • Robert Wilson
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 18, 2008
          That's great. I was a TG in our last course. Serving on staff is fun and
          rewarding. There's nothing like teaching to fill in gaps ya missed during
          your course. :-)

          Robert

          On Feb 17, 2008 8:11 PM, <Ilively@...> wrote:

          > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
          > Development weekend is in March.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Randy Sessions
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
            I have served on staff for the past three courses in our council and am the
            Course director for C-05-08 this August. There have been changes in every
            syllabus that I have been acquainted with, including the one for this year.
            Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

            Randy Sessions

            Council Training Chair

            SM C-05-08

            Quivira Council

            Wichita, Kansas

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
              > Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

              I just received my copy of the syllabus for 2008 -- the Staff Guide.

              Page ii -- with the printing information lists:

              2008 Updates

              The following revisions have been made to the 2008 Editions of Wood
              Badge for the 21st Century Administrative Guide and Staff Guide.

              Following that, there's 9 administrative changes and 13 Staff
              Guide/Syllabus changes.

              Item 18-590
              (C) 2007 boy Scouts of America
              2007 Printing
            • EIGHTOWLS@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
                Do you have a link to download those changes? Or are they out there anywhere?

                Sheron Harder
                Quartermaster WE3-47-08

              • Kevin Kennedy
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                  Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                  YiS,
                  Kevin

                • Sheron Harder
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                    Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?

                    Sheron Harder

                  • whymel@cox.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                      I have a question... As a long time lurker I read these posts to try and stay updated and to see what others are thinking/trying out in BSA training land, however, I am wondering if you are serving as Quartermaster on a current or scheduled Wood Badge course? If so, wouldn’t your Course Director be a better resource for this information?

                      Wally Hymel
                      ASM Troop Guides
                      SR-912
                      Feb-Mar 2008
                      ---- Sheron Harder <EIGHTOWLS@...> wrote:
                      > Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?
                      >

                      > Sheron Harder

                    • Wally Hymel
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                        The Wood Badge syllabus does change, some changes are significant, and some
                        are not. Since this group may have members who are not Wood Badge trained or
                        have not served on staff, I wonder if it serves the best interests of Wood
                        Badge to have this posted on the internet? I value the skills and
                        information I learned in Wood Badge and cherish the opportunities I�ve had
                        as a staffer.

                        Most Wood Badger�s I know all agree that Wood Badge needs to be experienced
                        not explained. While recruiting for our council�s most recent course our
                        Course Director was asked this question. �If this stuff is so important why
                        don�t they sell it at the Scout Shop?� It�s because it is important that we
                        don�t sell it or just give it away.

                        Wally Hymel

                        ASM for Troop Guides

                        SR-912

                        Feb-Mar 2008

                        Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                        YiS,
                        Kevin

                        Checked by AVG.
                        12:33 PM

                        Checked by AVG.
                        12:33 PM

                      • Jamie Niss Dunn
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                          I think those need to come from your course director. We can post *some* materials here, and I'm comfortable posting the summary of changes, but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing this way.

                          Wearing my moderator hat. . .

                          Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                          Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                          Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                          3 Rivers District
                          Scouting. Good for Life.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                            Jamie the moderator is right with "but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing"

                            This Wood Badge Course Director would agree. Materials for any course are the
                            responsibilty of the Scoutmaster for that course.

                          • Joe Parajecki
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                              Also those of us who have attended WB have said with honor we will not
                              reveal what transpired during our courses. We may talk about our experiences
                              but we must never reveal to someone what happened there. It is in
                              Experiencing WB that you attain the knowledge WB offers.

                              I agree with you Wally WB is meant to be experienced not explained. If I
                              explained it to you, you would never "Get" what we got.

                              WB was one of the single best experiences I have had in my life and "I"
                              needed to "Experience it" and so does anyone else who hasn't yet

                              WMT
                              Joe Parajecki
                              I Used to be a FOX, a good old FOX too
                              C-27-07