Re: Wood Badge Syllabus Update, How Often?

  • Bill Kuhfuss
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
      Robert,
      I think you may have the most labor-intensive role on the course. I
      worked alongside our last Scribe into the wee hours on the morning
      editing and printing the daily edition of the Gazette. He was a very
      organized and productive fellow, but to produce a `morning paper'
      containing the previous day's news requires beginning the task at the
      end of the day (following the evening staff meeting). Sorting through
      the day's scores of photos and transcribing each patrol's chicken-
      scratched report seemed to take the most time. Likewise, I observed
      the daily paper editor/publisher at Powder Horn work all through the
      night.
      If I would to so honored as to be selected as a Scribe, I'd use the
      last courses Gazettes to produce `prefabricated' papers, each
      reflecting the day's syllabus content, before the course. Then, I'd
      only have to edit them to make them specific for the actual details
      of what transpired. I'd also recruit one or two friendly assistants
      from the staff who still have plenty of energy at 11 PM and think
      it's a worthy challenge to function effectively on three hours sleep
      each day. The best advice I can give is to be well prepared and don't
      take on too many presentations. Welcome back to Gilwell, happy land.
      Bill
      PS - Your course director should know about changes in the syllabus
      after s/he attends the conference for course directors.

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Wilson" <fishnscout@...>
      wrote:

      > Our council holds Wood Badge courses ever other year, our next
      course is in
      > March 2009. I've been asked to serve as scribe for our next course
      and am
      > thinking about starting the process of piecing things together. If
      the
      > syllabus is going to be updated before our next course, I should
      direct
      > energy towards things that won't change. Does anyone know when the
      next
      > syllabus update will happen? Do you have any suggestions that might
      make a
      > scribe's life easier? :-)
      > Thanks,
      > Robert

    • Gerry Moon
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
        We held our Senior Staff meeting last Sunday. Our CD advised us that
        we have a new syllabus for our fall course.

        Gerry Moon
        ASM Admin
        SR-899
        Central Florida Council

      • Ilively@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 17, 2008
          I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course Development weekend is in March.

        • Bill Kuhfuss
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 17, 2008
            Congratulations! Please tell us when and where (camp, council, nearby
            big town, etc.) in Northeast Region Area 4 it will be offered.

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ilively@... wrote:

            > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
            Development weekend is in March.

          • Robert Wilson
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 18, 2008
              That's great. I was a TG in our last course. Serving on staff is fun and
              rewarding. There's nothing like teaching to fill in gaps ya missed during
              your course. :-)

              Robert

              On Feb 17, 2008 8:11 PM, <Ilively@...> wrote:

              > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
              > Development weekend is in March.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Randy Sessions
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
                I have served on staff for the past three courses in our council and am the
                Course director for C-05-08 this August. There have been changes in every
                syllabus that I have been acquainted with, including the one for this year.
                Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

                Randy Sessions

                Council Training Chair

                SM C-05-08

                Quivira Council

                Wichita, Kansas

                "Brian Mott" <brianmott8@>
                wrote:

                > > > I do not know how often it is updated. I do know that on the
                > > syllabus I
                > > > have for the course I am on, the cover specifically says 2008
                > > syllabus.
                > > > Inside, it contains a list of mostly minor changes from the
                > previous
                > > > version.
                > > >
                > > > This implies to me that they may make changes on an annual
                > basis.
                > > I am
                > > > going to guess, however, that if there are any changes that
                they
                > > will
                > > > probably be very minor.
                > > >
                > > > Brian Mott
                > > > Midland, MI

                > next
                > > course is
                > > course and am
                > > If the
                > should
                > > direct
                > > the next
                > > might make a

              • Ida Lively
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
                  > Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

                  I just received my copy of the syllabus for 2008 -- the Staff Guide.

                  Page ii -- with the printing information lists:

                  2008 Updates

                  The following revisions have been made to the 2008 Editions of Wood
                  Badge for the 21st Century Administrative Guide and Staff Guide.

                  Following that, there's 9 administrative changes and 13 Staff
                  Guide/Syllabus changes.

                  Item 18-590
                  (C) 2007 boy Scouts of America
                  2007 Printing
                • EIGHTOWLS@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
                    Do you have a link to download those changes? Or are they out there anywhere?

                    Sheron Harder
                    Quartermaster WE3-47-08

                  • Kevin Kennedy
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                      Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                      YiS,
                      Kevin

                    • Sheron Harder
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                        Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?

                        Sheron Harder

                      • whymel@cox.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                          I have a question... As a long time lurker I read these posts to try and stay updated and to see what others are thinking/trying out in BSA training land, however, I am wondering if you are serving as Quartermaster on a current or scheduled Wood Badge course? If so, wouldn’t your Course Director be a better resource for this information?

                          Wally Hymel
                          ASM Troop Guides
                          SR-912
                          Feb-Mar 2008
                          ---- Sheron Harder <EIGHTOWLS@...> wrote:
                          > Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?
                          >

                          > Sheron Harder

                        • Wally Hymel
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                            The Wood Badge syllabus does change, some changes are significant, and some
                            are not. Since this group may have members who are not Wood Badge trained or
                            have not served on staff, I wonder if it serves the best interests of Wood
                            Badge to have this posted on the internet? I value the skills and
                            information I learned in Wood Badge and cherish the opportunities I�ve had
                            as a staffer.

                            Most Wood Badger�s I know all agree that Wood Badge needs to be experienced
                            not explained. While recruiting for our council�s most recent course our
                            Course Director was asked this question. �If this stuff is so important why
                            don�t they sell it at the Scout Shop?� It�s because it is important that we
                            don�t sell it or just give it away.

                            Wally Hymel

                            ASM for Troop Guides

                            SR-912

                            Feb-Mar 2008

                            Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                            YiS,
                            Kevin

                            Checked by AVG.
                            12:33 PM

                            Checked by AVG.
                            12:33 PM

                          • Jamie Niss Dunn
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                              I think those need to come from your course director. We can post *some* materials here, and I'm comfortable posting the summary of changes, but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing this way.

                              Wearing my moderator hat. . .

                              Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                              Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                              3 Rivers District
                              Scouting. Good for Life.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                Jamie the moderator is right with "but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing"

                                This Wood Badge Course Director would agree. Materials for any course are the
                                responsibilty of the Scoutmaster for that course.

                              • Joe Parajecki
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                  Also those of us who have attended WB have said with honor we will not
                                  reveal what transpired during our courses. We may talk about our experiences
                                  but we must never reveal to someone what happened there. It is in
                                  Experiencing WB that you attain the knowledge WB offers.

                                  I agree with you Wally WB is meant to be experienced not explained. If I
                                  explained it to you, you would never "Get" what we got.

                                  WB was one of the single best experiences I have had in my life and "I"
                                  needed to "Experience it" and so does anyone else who hasn't yet

                                  WMT
                                  Joe Parajecki
                                  I Used to be a FOX, a good old FOX too
                                  C-27-07