Re: Wood Badge Syllabus Update, How Often?

  • Bill Kuhfuss
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
      I, respectfully, beg to differ that "every Year there is a new
      syllabus". The first 'published' "Wood Badge for the 21st Century:
      Staff Guide: The Syllabus" was BSA No. 18-590 (©2001); it was revised
      (primarily, the cool proprietary 'business' content was replaced and
      it was made more consistent with NYLT) as 18-590A (©2005) which
      Cradle of Liberty Council used in 2007 June. I'd be surprised if it
      is updated before next year (at the earliest).
      Bobwhite Bill, NE-II-100

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "joe parajecki" <salmonman@...>
      wrote:

      > Every Year there is a new syllabus. At my woodbadge as the
      > ScoutMaster would finish a section he would chuck into the fire.
      > True Story
      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Mott" <brianmott8@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I do not know how often it is updated. I do know that on the
      > syllabus I
      > > have for the course I am on, the cover specifically says 2008
      > syllabus.
      > > Inside, it contains a list of mostly minor changes from the
      previous
      > > version.
      > >
      > > This implies to me that they may make changes on an annual
      basis.
      > I am
      > > going to guess, however, that if there are any changes that they
      > will
      > > probably be very minor.
      > >
      > > Brian Mott
      > > Midland, MI
      > >

      > > On 2/15/08, Robert Wilson <fishnscout@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Our council holds Wood Badge courses ever other year, our
      next
      > course is
      > > > in
      > > > March 2009. I've been asked to serve as scribe for our next
      > course and am
      > > > thinking about starting the process of piecing things together.
      > If the
      > > > syllabus is going to be updated before our next course, I
      should
      > direct
      > > > energy towards things that won't change. Does anyone know when
      > the next
      > > > syllabus update will happen? Do you have any suggestions that
      > might make a
      > > > scribe's life easier? :-)
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Robert

    • Bill Kuhfuss
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
        Robert,
        I think you may have the most labor-intensive role on the course. I
        worked alongside our last Scribe into the wee hours on the morning
        editing and printing the daily edition of the Gazette. He was a very
        organized and productive fellow, but to produce a `morning paper'
        containing the previous day's news requires beginning the task at the
        end of the day (following the evening staff meeting). Sorting through
        the day's scores of photos and transcribing each patrol's chicken-
        scratched report seemed to take the most time. Likewise, I observed
        the daily paper editor/publisher at Powder Horn work all through the
        night.
        If I would to so honored as to be selected as a Scribe, I'd use the
        last courses Gazettes to produce `prefabricated' papers, each
        reflecting the day's syllabus content, before the course. Then, I'd
        only have to edit them to make them specific for the actual details
        of what transpired. I'd also recruit one or two friendly assistants
        from the staff who still have plenty of energy at 11 PM and think
        it's a worthy challenge to function effectively on three hours sleep
        each day. The best advice I can give is to be well prepared and don't
        take on too many presentations. Welcome back to Gilwell, happy land.
        Bill
        PS - Your course director should know about changes in the syllabus
        after s/he attends the conference for course directors.

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Wilson" <fishnscout@...>
        wrote:

        > Our council holds Wood Badge courses ever other year, our next
        course is in
        > March 2009. I've been asked to serve as scribe for our next course
        and am
        > thinking about starting the process of piecing things together. If
        the
        > syllabus is going to be updated before our next course, I should
        direct
        > energy towards things that won't change. Does anyone know when the
        next
        > syllabus update will happen? Do you have any suggestions that might
        make a
        > scribe's life easier? :-)
        > Thanks,
        > Robert

      • Teresa Hall
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
          Well, Bill, surprise!

          There is indeed a revised syllabus for 2008. The changes are not
          major, primarily centering around the addition of more prayers, mostly
          during Gilwells. But revised it is.

          Teresa Hall
          SR-889 Scoutmaster
          Greater AL Council

        • Gerry Moon
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
            We held our Senior Staff meeting last Sunday. Our CD advised us that
            we have a new syllabus for our fall course.

            Gerry Moon
            ASM Admin
            SR-899
            Central Florida Council

          • Ilively@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 17, 2008
              I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course Development weekend is in March.

            • Bill Kuhfuss
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 17, 2008
                Congratulations! Please tell us when and where (camp, council, nearby
                big town, etc.) in Northeast Region Area 4 it will be offered.

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ilively@... wrote:

                > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
                Development weekend is in March.

              • Robert Wilson
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 18, 2008
                  That's great. I was a TG in our last course. Serving on staff is fun and
                  rewarding. There's nothing like teaching to fill in gaps ya missed during
                  your course. :-)

                  Robert

                  On Feb 17, 2008 8:11 PM, <Ilively@...> wrote:

                  > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
                  > Development weekend is in March.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Randy Sessions
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
                    I have served on staff for the past three courses in our council and am the
                    Course director for C-05-08 this August. There have been changes in every
                    syllabus that I have been acquainted with, including the one for this year.
                    Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

                    Randy Sessions

                    Council Training Chair

                    SM C-05-08

                    Quivira Council

                    Wichita, Kansas

                    "Brian Mott" <brianmott8@>
                    wrote:

                    > > > I do not know how often it is updated. I do know that on the
                    > > syllabus I
                    > > > have for the course I am on, the cover specifically says 2008
                    > > syllabus.
                    > > > Inside, it contains a list of mostly minor changes from the
                    > previous
                    > > > version.
                    > > >
                    > > > This implies to me that they may make changes on an annual
                    > basis.
                    > > I am
                    > > > going to guess, however, that if there are any changes that
                    they
                    > > will
                    > > > probably be very minor.
                    > > >
                    > > > Brian Mott
                    > > > Midland, MI

                    > next
                    > > course is
                    > > course and am
                    > > If the
                    > should
                    > > direct
                    > > the next
                    > > might make a

                  • Ida Lively
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 13 1:50 PM
                      > Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

                      I just received my copy of the syllabus for 2008 -- the Staff Guide.

                      Page ii -- with the printing information lists:

                      2008 Updates

                      The following revisions have been made to the 2008 Editions of Wood
                      Badge for the 21st Century Administrative Guide and Staff Guide.

                      Following that, there's 9 administrative changes and 13 Staff
                      Guide/Syllabus changes.

                      Item 18-590
                      (C) 2007 boy Scouts of America
                      2007 Printing
                    • EIGHTOWLS@AOL.COM
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 13 5:40 PM
                        Do you have a link to download those changes? Or are they out there anywhere?

                        Sheron Harder
                        Quartermaster WE3-47-08

                      • Kevin Kennedy
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 14 12:07 PM
                          Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                          YiS,
                          Kevin

                        • Sheron Harder
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 14 12:34 PM
                            Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?

                            Sheron Harder

                          • whymel@cox.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 14 1:46 PM
                              I have a question... As a long time lurker I read these posts to try and stay updated and to see what others are thinking/trying out in BSA training land, however, I am wondering if you are serving as Quartermaster on a current or scheduled Wood Badge course? If so, wouldn’t your Course Director be a better resource for this information?

                              Wally Hymel
                              ASM Troop Guides
                              SR-912
                              Feb-Mar 2008
                              ---- Sheron Harder <EIGHTOWLS@...> wrote:
                              > Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?
                              >

                              > Sheron Harder

                            • Wally Hymel
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 14 4:38 PM
                                The Wood Badge syllabus does change, some changes are significant, and some
                                are not. Since this group may have members who are not Wood Badge trained or
                                have not served on staff, I wonder if it serves the best interests of Wood
                                Badge to have this posted on the internet? I value the skills and
                                information I learned in Wood Badge and cherish the opportunities I�ve had
                                as a staffer.

                                Most Wood Badger�s I know all agree that Wood Badge needs to be experienced
                                not explained. While recruiting for our council�s most recent course our
                                Course Director was asked this question. �If this stuff is so important why
                                don�t they sell it at the Scout Shop?� It�s because it is important that we
                                don�t sell it or just give it away.

                                Wally Hymel

                                ASM for Troop Guides

                                SR-912

                                Feb-Mar 2008

                                Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                                YiS,
                                Kevin

                                Checked by AVG.
                                12:33 PM

                                Checked by AVG.
                                12:33 PM

                              • Jamie Niss Dunn
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 14 6:13 PM
                                  I think those need to come from your course director. We can post *some* materials here, and I'm comfortable posting the summary of changes, but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing this way.

                                  Wearing my moderator hat. . .

                                  Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                  Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                  Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                  Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                  3 Rivers District
                                  Scouting. Good for Life.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 14 6:30 PM
                                    Jamie the moderator is right with "but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing"

                                    This Wood Badge Course Director would agree. Materials for any course are the
                                    responsibilty of the Scoutmaster for that course.

                                  • Joe Parajecki
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 14 7:21 PM
                                      Also those of us who have attended WB have said with honor we will not
                                      reveal what transpired during our courses. We may talk about our experiences
                                      but we must never reveal to someone what happened there. It is in
                                      Experiencing WB that you attain the knowledge WB offers.

                                      I agree with you Wally WB is meant to be experienced not explained. If I
                                      explained it to you, you would never "Get" what we got.

                                      WB was one of the single best experiences I have had in my life and "I"
                                      needed to "Experience it" and so does anyone else who hasn't yet

                                      WMT
                                      Joe Parajecki
                                      I Used to be a FOX, a good old FOX too
                                      C-27-07