Re: [Scouter_T] Drugs: A Deadly Game / Choose to Refuse

  • Tom Burke
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
      You have two different materials available here: a booklet and a video. Both give a good general orientation to Drugs, Tobacco and Alcohol. The Dare Program is much more involved, but is presented to the youth rather than the self study that the booklet and video really are. However: from the following site

      http://usscouts.org/usscouts/advance/cubscout/physical.asp#Fitness

      it shows this as now requirement 8:

      "Read the booklet Choose to Refuse! Take A Stand Against Drugs! Discuss it with an adult and show that you understand the material.
      NOTE: The booklet "Take A Stand Against Drugs!" mentioned in requirement 8 in the Webelos Handbook has been replaced with a new edition, entitled "Choose to Refuse", which should be available from your local Boy Scout Council Office (NOT the Scout ShopT). If your Council Office does not have copies of this publication, they should call the National BSA Drug Prevention Task Force for additional copies. Bulk orders by Scouters or other groups are also accepted, see further information on this site, or on BSA's web site at http://www.scouting.org/drugquiz/ "

      So, a new updated booklet is available. As the Webelos Den Leader, I would have no problem accepting the DARE program as the equivalent. But - now we are changing the requirements, and we all know that we can't do that. So, get them the booklet, let then read it (reinforce the dare program) and pass that badge!

      Tom Burke

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
        If I'm not mistaken DARE is for older children. Choose to Refuse is a Brochure for each younger scout and an insutctors guide. Doesen't take long to go through. May not be at the scout shop depending on the manager, since it is published by boyslife. I needed it once and called boyslife, put the package on my credit card.

        Herb Dulzo
        Chicago Area Council

      • Margo Mead
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
          In our area DARE is taught to 5th-graders, I guess if a boy were working on
          Fitness it would most likely be in 4th grade, but not that much age
          difference really.

          Margo