Wood Badge Syllabus Update, How Often?

  • Robert Wilson
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
      Our council holds Wood Badge courses ever other year, our next course is in
      March 2009. I've been asked to serve as scribe for our next course and am
      thinking about starting the process of piecing things together. If the
      syllabus is going to be updated before our next course, I should direct
      energy towards things that won't change. Does anyone know when the next
      syllabus update will happen? Do you have any suggestions that might make a
      scribe's life easier? :-)
      Thanks,
      Robert

    • Brian Mott
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
        I do not know how often it is updated. I do know that on the syllabus I
        have for the course I am on, the cover specifically says 2008 syllabus.
        Inside, it contains a list of mostly minor changes from the previous
        version.

        This implies to me that they may make changes on an annual basis. I am
        going to guess, however, that if there are any changes that they will
        probably be very minor.

        Brian Mott
        Midland, MI

        On 2/15/08, Robert Wilson <fishnscout@...> wrote:

        > Our council holds Wood Badge courses ever other year, our next course is
        > in
        > March 2009. I've been asked to serve as scribe for our next course and am
        > thinking about starting the process of piecing things together. If the
        > syllabus is going to be updated before our next course, I should direct
        > energy towards things that won't change. Does anyone know when the next
        > syllabus update will happen? Do you have any suggestions that might make a
        > scribe's life easier? :-)
        > Thanks,
        > Robert

      • joe parajecki
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
          Every Year there is a new syllabus. At my woodbadge as the
          ScoutMaster would finish a section he would chuck into the fire.
          True Story
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Mott" <brianmott8@...> wrote:

          > I do not know how often it is updated. I do know that on the
          syllabus I
          > have for the course I am on, the cover specifically says 2008
          syllabus.
          > Inside, it contains a list of mostly minor changes from the previous
          > version.
          >
          > This implies to me that they may make changes on an annual basis.
          I am
          > going to guess, however, that if there are any changes that they
          will
          > probably be very minor.
          >
          > Brian Mott
          > Midland, MI
          >

          > On 2/15/08, Robert Wilson <fishnscout@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Our council holds Wood Badge courses ever other year, our next
          course is
          > > in
          > > March 2009. I've been asked to serve as scribe for our next
          course and am
          > > thinking about starting the process of piecing things together.
          If the
          > > syllabus is going to be updated before our next course, I should
          direct
          > > energy towards things that won't change. Does anyone know when
          the next
          > > syllabus update will happen? Do you have any suggestions that
          might make a
          > > scribe's life easier? :-)
          > > Thanks,
          > > Robert

        • Bill Kuhfuss
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
            I, respectfully, beg to differ that "every Year there is a new
            syllabus". The first 'published' "Wood Badge for the 21st Century:
            Staff Guide: The Syllabus" was BSA No. 18-590 (©2001); it was revised
            (primarily, the cool proprietary 'business' content was replaced and
            it was made more consistent with NYLT) as 18-590A (©2005) which
            Cradle of Liberty Council used in 2007 June. I'd be surprised if it
            is updated before next year (at the earliest).
            Bobwhite Bill, NE-II-100

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "joe parajecki" <salmonman@...>
            wrote:

            > Every Year there is a new syllabus. At my woodbadge as the
            > ScoutMaster would finish a section he would chuck into the fire.
            > True Story
            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Mott" <brianmott8@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I do not know how often it is updated. I do know that on the
            > syllabus I
            > > have for the course I am on, the cover specifically says 2008
            > syllabus.
            > > Inside, it contains a list of mostly minor changes from the
            previous
            > > version.
            > >
            > > This implies to me that they may make changes on an annual
            basis.
            > I am
            > > going to guess, however, that if there are any changes that they
            > will
            > > probably be very minor.
            > >
            > > Brian Mott
            > > Midland, MI
            > >

            > > On 2/15/08, Robert Wilson <fishnscout@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Our council holds Wood Badge courses ever other year, our
            next
            > course is
            > > > in
            > > > March 2009. I've been asked to serve as scribe for our next
            > course and am
            > > > thinking about starting the process of piecing things together.
            > If the
            > > > syllabus is going to be updated before our next course, I
            should
            > direct
            > > > energy towards things that won't change. Does anyone know when
            > the next
            > > > syllabus update will happen? Do you have any suggestions that
            > might make a
            > > > scribe's life easier? :-)
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Robert

          • Bill Kuhfuss
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
              Robert,
              I think you may have the most labor-intensive role on the course. I
              worked alongside our last Scribe into the wee hours on the morning
              editing and printing the daily edition of the Gazette. He was a very
              organized and productive fellow, but to produce a `morning paper'
              containing the previous day's news requires beginning the task at the
              end of the day (following the evening staff meeting). Sorting through
              the day's scores of photos and transcribing each patrol's chicken-
              scratched report seemed to take the most time. Likewise, I observed
              the daily paper editor/publisher at Powder Horn work all through the
              night.
              If I would to so honored as to be selected as a Scribe, I'd use the
              last courses Gazettes to produce `prefabricated' papers, each
              reflecting the day's syllabus content, before the course. Then, I'd
              only have to edit them to make them specific for the actual details
              of what transpired. I'd also recruit one or two friendly assistants
              from the staff who still have plenty of energy at 11 PM and think
              it's a worthy challenge to function effectively on three hours sleep
              each day. The best advice I can give is to be well prepared and don't
              take on too many presentations. Welcome back to Gilwell, happy land.
              Bill
              PS - Your course director should know about changes in the syllabus
              after s/he attends the conference for course directors.

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Wilson" <fishnscout@...>
              wrote:

              > Our council holds Wood Badge courses ever other year, our next
              course is in
              > March 2009. I've been asked to serve as scribe for our next course
              and am
              > thinking about starting the process of piecing things together. If
              the
              > syllabus is going to be updated before our next course, I should
              direct
              > energy towards things that won't change. Does anyone know when the
              next
              > syllabus update will happen? Do you have any suggestions that might
              make a
              > scribe's life easier? :-)
              > Thanks,
              > Robert

            • Teresa Hall
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
                Well, Bill, surprise!

                There is indeed a revised syllabus for 2008. The changes are not
                major, primarily centering around the addition of more prayers, mostly
                during Gilwells. But revised it is.

                Teresa Hall
                SR-889 Scoutmaster
                Greater AL Council

              • Gerry Moon
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 15, 2008
                  We held our Senior Staff meeting last Sunday. Our CD advised us that
                  we have a new syllabus for our fall course.

                  Gerry Moon
                  ASM Admin
                  SR-899
                  Central Florida Council

                • Ilively@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 17, 2008
                    I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course Development weekend is in March.

                  • Bill Kuhfuss
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 17, 2008
                      Congratulations! Please tell us when and where (camp, council, nearby
                      big town, etc.) in Northeast Region Area 4 it will be offered.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 18, 2008
                        That's great. I was a TG in our last course. Serving on staff is fun and
                        rewarding. There's nothing like teaching to fill in gaps ya missed during
                        your course. :-)

                        Robert

                        On Feb 17, 2008 8:11 PM, <Ilively@...> wrote:

                        > I've been asked to be a Troop Guide for NE-IV-208. Our first Course
                        > Development weekend is in March.

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Randy Sessions
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 25, 2008
                          I have served on staff for the past three courses in our council and am the
                          Course director for C-05-08 this August. There have been changes in every
                          syllabus that I have been acquainted with, including the one for this year.
                          Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

                          Randy Sessions

                          Council Training Chair

                          SM C-05-08

                          Quivira Council

                          Wichita, Kansas

                          "Brian Mott" <brianmott8@>
                          wrote:

                          > > > I do not know how often it is updated. I do know that on the
                          > > syllabus I
                          > > > have for the course I am on, the cover specifically says 2008
                          > > syllabus.
                          > > > Inside, it contains a list of mostly minor changes from the
                          > previous
                          > > > version.
                          > > >
                          > > > This implies to me that they may make changes on an annual
                          > basis.
                          > > I am
                          > > > going to guess, however, that if there are any changes that
                          they
                          > > will
                          > > > probably be very minor.
                          > > >
                          > > > Brian Mott
                          > > > Midland, MI

                          > next
                          > > course is
                          > > course and am
                          > > If the
                          > should
                          > > direct
                          > > the next
                          > > might make a

                        • Ida Lively
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
                            > Some changes have been significant, others much less so.

                            I just received my copy of the syllabus for 2008 -- the Staff Guide.

                            Page ii -- with the printing information lists:

                            2008 Updates

                            The following revisions have been made to the 2008 Editions of Wood
                            Badge for the 21st Century Administrative Guide and Staff Guide.

                            Following that, there's 9 administrative changes and 13 Staff
                            Guide/Syllabus changes.

                            Item 18-590
                            (C) 2007 boy Scouts of America
                            2007 Printing
                          • EIGHTOWLS@AOL.COM
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 13, 2008
                              Do you have a link to download those changes? Or are they out there anywhere?

                              Sheron Harder
                              Quartermaster WE3-47-08

                            • Kevin Kennedy
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                                YiS,
                                Kevin

                              • Sheron Harder
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                  Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?

                                  Sheron Harder

                                • whymel@cox.net
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                    I have a question... As a long time lurker I read these posts to try and stay updated and to see what others are thinking/trying out in BSA training land, however, I am wondering if you are serving as Quartermaster on a current or scheduled Wood Badge course? If so, wouldn’t your Course Director be a better resource for this information?

                                    Wally Hymel
                                    ASM Troop Guides
                                    SR-912
                                    Feb-Mar 2008
                                    ---- Sheron Harder <EIGHTOWLS@...> wrote:
                                    > Thanks, now do you have the pages that we are suppose to insert into our manuals?
                                    >

                                    > Sheron Harder

                                  • Wally Hymel
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                      The Wood Badge syllabus does change, some changes are significant, and some
                                      are not. Since this group may have members who are not Wood Badge trained or
                                      have not served on staff, I wonder if it serves the best interests of Wood
                                      Badge to have this posted on the internet? I value the skills and
                                      information I learned in Wood Badge and cherish the opportunities I�ve had
                                      as a staffer.

                                      Most Wood Badger�s I know all agree that Wood Badge needs to be experienced
                                      not explained. While recruiting for our council�s most recent course our
                                      Course Director was asked this question. �If this stuff is so important why
                                      don�t they sell it at the Scout Shop?� It�s because it is important that we
                                      don�t sell it or just give it away.

                                      Wally Hymel

                                      ASM for Troop Guides

                                      SR-912

                                      Feb-Mar 2008

                                      Here is the page of 2008 updates/changes from the admin quide.

                                      YiS,
                                      Kevin

                                      Checked by AVG.
                                      12:33 PM

                                      Checked by AVG.
                                      12:33 PM

                                    • Jamie Niss Dunn
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                        I think those need to come from your course director. We can post *some* materials here, and I'm comfortable posting the summary of changes, but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing this way.

                                        Wearing my moderator hat. . .

                                        Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                        Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                        Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                        3 Rivers District
                                        Scouting. Good for Life.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                          Jamie the moderator is right with "but actual BSA copyrighted content isn't something we should be sharing"

                                          This Wood Badge Course Director would agree. Materials for any course are the
                                          responsibilty of the Scoutmaster for that course.

                                        • Joe Parajecki
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 14, 2008
                                            Also those of us who have attended WB have said with honor we will not
                                            reveal what transpired during our courses. We may talk about our experiences
                                            but we must never reveal to someone what happened there. It is in
                                            Experiencing WB that you attain the knowledge WB offers.

                                            I agree with you Wally WB is meant to be experienced not explained. If I
                                            explained it to you, you would never "Get" what we got.

                                            WB was one of the single best experiences I have had in my life and "I"
                                            needed to "Experience it" and so does anyone else who hasn't yet

                                            WMT
                                            Joe Parajecki
                                            I Used to be a FOX, a good old FOX too
                                            C-27-07